Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I feel for the shooter. And his daughter. And a bunch of others. But not the son in law. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize, as should be expected.

Nobody in my family would ever try to startle me like that, because they know there is a high likelihood of being shot, cut or stomped in very short order. Wife and kids know I am always armed, and pretty much always watchful. They love that about me. The boyfriends probably know I am armed, because the girls probably told them. They sure are respectful....๐Ÿ˜

Been a buddy or two back in the day cold cocked or put on the ground because they thought it would be funny to grab me from behind or similar. They only did it once. Thankfully no one ever tried anything really stupid after I started carrying.

A fellow did almost buy the farm and pay too much for it when I was a young guy. I was renting a room from a widow out in the country. So I come out the door onto the porch at 5 am to go to work, start down the steps in the dark, and I hear someone rack the slide on a shotgun in the driveway. Sucker was lit up and getting screamed at almost instantly. The only reason he wasnโ€™t shot was because the light revealed a guy in full camo with a painted face and a hunting gun. That, and he dropped that shotgun like it had burned him, once the fun started. See, as soon as I saw him, it occurred to me that it was turkey season, and he certainly looked like a hunter. Like I said, he was quick dropping that scattergun, and the situation worked out ok. He was pretty sheepish, later, as was the widow. Turned out he was her son in law, and she never bothered to tell me he would be coming out to turkey hunt. They both felt pretty bad, once I explained my view of the episode to them. I was just relieved that he had the turn of mind to drop that gun rather than think I was a threat and try to defend himself. It could have gone really badly.

In thinking about it later, it occurred to me that I had taken up the slack in that Glock trigger, but waited to see the muzzle of that shotgun start to move toward me before firing. When I lit him up he was holding the shotgun in his right hand and the muzzle was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle. With the Glock sitting on go, I realized I had a bit of time before he could get the weapon into play, so I held, waiting for his reaction. Seemed a lot slower at the time than it really was.

I started carrying a light the day I started carrying a gun. Had I not, that man would likely have died. Had I come around the corner and bumped into a man with a shotgun in the dark, another different story. Him racking that slide gave me early warning and time for my higher brain to remind the screaming savage part that there just might be another reason for that sound than someone trying to ambush and murder me. The savage was skeptical, hence the screaming and such. It sure was a tough ride to work after that episode, and I donโ€™t imagine his walk to the hunting spot was much better. Surprises suck....

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/03/19.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Reminds me, watching those prank vids on YouTube of guys who surprise people by running at them with a haji getup complete with what looks like a suicide vest, or chase them with a samurai sword in one hand and what appears to be a severed head in the other hand. Always wondered how the law would handle it if you smoked those idiots...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn, bet the next wedding will be reverent. cool

Bet she has a hard time finding husband # 2. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Bet he doesn't do that again!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Anyone who's that quick on the trigger has no business with a gun. As I recall, the rule is to be sure of your target
BEFORE you shoot.

There is no other way to react under a perceived attack Sir, hesitate, and die the next time.

Officer Noor did not hesitate and got 12 yrs for knee-jerk killing the woman who frightened him.

Im also betting Amber Guyger wishes she had been more careful before firing on an unidentified target who frightened her.

Bet she has a hard time finding husband # 2. ๐Ÿ˜œ

if she does remarry and have kids , they probably won't go around to visit the old man,
can't risk that the young grandkids who might play an innocent trick on grandpa may well get their asses capped.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Reminds me, watching those prank vids on YouTube of guys who surprise people by running at them with a haji getup complete with what looks like a suicide vest, or chase them with a samurai sword in one hand and what appears to be a severed head in the other hand. Always wondered how the law would handle it if you smoked those idiots...

The law on that is long established. Varies by state, a little, but generally you are covered if you shoot them so long as another reasonable person under similar circumstances would also (in the view of juror) have believed their life or limb was in imminent jeopardy.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Kids do this sort of thing all the time, but to other kids usually, who are unlikely to be armed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Florida man will not face charges after accidentally killing son-in-law

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-man-will-not-face-charges-after-accidently-killing-son-in-law

"SURPRISE!!!"

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Being from Norway, it may never have occurred to the dead guy that a lot of Americans carry, especially in area where there are lots of crimes. The last I heard, there are more than 1,000,000 CCWs in Florida.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Very nearly shot my younger brother in a somewhat similar scenario years ago. Not a practical joke, but he came home in the wee hours of the morning at a time when he was supposed to be somewhere else. To make matters worse, he was loudly rummaging around in the house and refused to identify himself after I yelled at him to do so multiple times. Later he said he never heard me, despite me screaming at him.

I suspect he had been drinking. But if so, he sobered up pretty quickly when he flipped on a light and saw me leveling a double barreled shotgun at him from the other side of the room.

A terrible scenario. I thank God every day I didn't pull that trigger. I really feel for the father in law.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Myself and 3 other boys used to terrorize a neighborhood in Columbus Ga.

Ring the doorbell 40 times in 4 seconds and haul ass OR hide in their landscape bushes.

It was a right hilarious way to burn a Friday night at 11pm.

Till one night, ole boy came out with shotgun and walked around his yard. He walked within prob 10 ft of me laying in his azaleia bushes.

He went back inside and my other bud ran up there and got his doorbell again. Didn't hang around after that.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I donโ€™t believe it.

โ€œI swear, that sumbitch jumped out at me and I thought it was a robber who was going to kill me. Oh, my poor daughter. I hope she can find a bette...er, I mean another man who will love her as much as he did.โ€

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/04/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My granddad was right about the Norwegians, not nearly as bright as Swedes. grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Szumi
There is a reason I don't partake in 'practical jokes'.

Good for you; sign of intelligence.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Growing up, our favorite aunt was fairly regularly the victim of practical jokes by us kids. She practically expected a rubber snake or rubber lizard to be under every newspaper sitting on the kitchen table as she came down for breakfast during her visits. Her reactions were priceless. We knew she didn't go about heeled, however.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
My granddad was right about the Norwegians, not nearly as bright as Swedes. grin

You betcha!
wink
We still say that about Norwegians here in Sweden today... grin

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Szumi
There is a reason I don't partake in 'practical jokes'.

I'll bet you are just a barrel of laughs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I feel for the shooter. And his daughter. And a bunch of others. But not the son in law. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize, as should be expected.

Nobody in my family would ever try to startle me like that, because they know there is a high likelihood of being shot, cut or stomped in very short order. Wife and kids know I am always armed, and pretty much always watchful. They love that about me. The boyfriends probably know I am armed, because the girls probably told them. They sure are respectful....๐Ÿ˜

Been a buddy or two back in the day cold cocked or put on the ground because they thought it would be funny to grab me from behind or similar. They only did it once. Thankfully no one ever tried anything really stupid after I started carrying.

A fellow did almost buy the farm and pay too much for it when I was a young guy. I was renting a room from a widow out in the country. So I come out the door onto the porch at 5 am to go to work, start down the steps in the dark, and I hear someone rack the slide on a shotgun in the driveway. Sucker was lit up and getting screamed at almost instantly. The only reason he wasnโ€™t shot was because the light revealed a guy in full camo with a painted face and a hunting gun. That, and he dropped that shotgun like it had burned him, once the fun started. See, as soon as I saw him, it occurred to me that it was turkey season, and he certainly looked like a hunter. Like I said, he was quick dropping that scattergun, and the situation worked out ok. He was pretty sheepish, later, as was the widow. Turned out he was her son in law, and she never bothered to tell me he would be coming out to turkey hunt. They both felt pretty bad, once I explained my view of the episode to them. I was just relieved that he had the turn of mind to drop that gun rather than think I was a threat and try to defend himself. It could have gone really badly.

In thinking about it later, it occurred to me that I had taken up the slack in that Glock trigger, but waited to see the muzzle of that shotgun start to move toward me before firing. When I lit him up he was holding the shotgun in his right hand and the muzzle was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle. With the Glock sitting on go, I realized I had a bit of time before he could get the weapon into play, so I held, waiting for his reaction. Seemed a lot slower at the time than it really was.

I started carrying a light the day I started carrying a gun. Had I not, that man would likely have died. Had I come around the corner and bumped into a man with a shotgun in the dark, another different story. Him racking that slide gave me early warning and time for my higher brain to remind the screaming savage part that there just might be another reason for that sound than someone trying to ambush and murder me. The savage was skeptical, hence the screaming and such. It sure was a tough ride to work after that episode, and I donโ€™t imagine his walk to the hunting spot was much better. Surprises suck....

I hope you don't drink much coffee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

You betcha!
wink
We still say that about Norwegians here in Sweden today... grin

John

As proof - did the Norwegians come up with potato bologna? No, they didn't - case closed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Anyone who's that quick on the trigger has no business with a gun. As I recall, the rule is to be sure of your target BEFORE you shoot.

There is no other way to react under a perceived attack Sir, hesitate, and die the next time.

exactly. It sucks all the way around, but exactly every last time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am the first to appreciate a good joke, but any sort of thing that involves setting someone up as the fall guy for a joke really needs a great deal of thought and consideration of possible consequences before it is put into action. This step is all too often ignored by people, resulting in unintended outcomes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.