Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I tried some 12ga 3in Winchester BB loads in a couple of 20in, IC, Rem 870s a while ago, was fairly impressed. Used a 24 in square piece of paper as target, the pattern put almost all the pellets in the 24in paper and was very even. I'd think it would be deadly out to 30 yds, maybe more with right shotgun. Center on a coyote and you'd have holes nose to ass.

Also tried some 2.75 in Rio 4 buck and Win 1 buck same day. Similar results, about a 18- 24 in pattern at 25 yds, just a lot fewer pellets.

GB1

358win Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies. I will probably get some # 4 buckshot.

Thanks again and good hunting to all.

358win

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have shot a bunch of foxes and coyotes using 1 1/4 ounce of 4 shot with 30 yards being as far as I would shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TPWD was doing Helio control work on coyotes and they chose TT steel shot, the buffered high speed waterfowl load. I think they have now gone to various heavy shot loads but still use larger shot like BB and upwards. Many of the land owners have a no wounding clause in their release forms. I think TPWD has been fairly successful. Not so on hogs even with thousands taken there is no difference and the costs were extremely high.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got some of these, just never killed a 'yote. Not cheap, but how many ya gonna shoot, anyway?

Have an H&R 3 1/2" ga. with super tight choke. Those 3" Dead 'Yote shells should get one's attention pretty far out there.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/dead-coyote/

DF

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
# 4 is the answer Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've dropped a lot of coyotes and foxes at good range with 3" HEVI-Shot Dead Coyote.
I always have 3-4 of them in my vest when I'm hunting.
I've heard that they do real well on wolfs in the grouse woods too. But I wouldn't know anything about that...

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TSS is the ultimate for long range, but as mentioned #6 or larger will work very well at 20yds.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dirtfarmer ,

Good morning !
I thought hevi-shot was costly until i saw the Apex brand ammo .
Guys on youtube MFK predator calling folks north of you swear by it and always say it cost $12 per shot , but the website shows $49 per 5 rounds , likely shipping cost of coarse . But $10 per shot - I'd expect crazy good performance for that price .

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/

Hevi-shot now seems like a bargain smile , I have had good luck with the #2 shot on coyotes and a couple of coons .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenarshooter ,

You're WRONG ! I would believe the number of coyotes you've killed with #4 buck ......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaman ,

I'd gladly read a story on the feral dog removal via shotgun were you inclined to write it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself Rem. 870 express 3'' turkey gun [pistol grip] , 21'' barrel , hs strut extra full choke , winchester black box 3'' #4 buck . Shoots a pattern 26 - 28'' diameter at a lasered 45 yards from the muzzle of the gun . First time i ever patterned a shotgun because i never used one much - it amazed me .

Something i read and tested myself - a dirty barrel can degrade your pattern FAST - as in shot number three it's easy to see the pattern open up and the perfect coverage get spotty . 5 shots pattern is very different from a clean barrel shot . Oily Bore-Snake pulled through the barrel twice - back to great patterns - I always carry the bore-snake when hunting .

I'd take a 60 yard shot with my gun .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by atse
4 buck is what we use for predator work out of the helicopter on wolves and coyotes. It offers a good combination of shot pattern density and mass for knock down power. There are 27 pellets in a 2 3/4 shell. Combine that with a full choke, and your range should be around 50 yds with a little hold over. BB s so a good job too.

This is all you need to know.....

If I told you how many coyotes I've taken with 4BUCK, you wouldn't believe it.

This. Firmly in the #4 Buck camp for the reasons above. The yellow box 3" is what I've been using for 20 years now. Patterns great. It's a legitimate 60+ yard roll them up load...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by atse
4 buck is what we use for predator work out of the helicopter on wolves and coyotes. It offers a good combination of shot pattern density and mass for knock down power. There are 27 pellets in a 2 3/4 shell. Combine that with a full choke, and your range should be around 50 yds with a little hold over. BB s so a good job too.

This is all you need to know.....

If I told you how many coyotes I've taken with 4BUCK, you wouldn't believe it.

This. Firmly in the #4 Buck camp for the reasons above. The yellow box 3" is what I've been using for 20 years now. Patterns great. It's a legitimate 60+ yard roll them up load...

Who is yellow box - remington ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes...

Sorry...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The heavy shot is interesting but since there are no restrictions except maybe on a refuge plain old lead magnum or plated should do the trick nicely.

Surprized that Apex recommended #2 shot for deer. I need to give it a try at least once. Using #8 or 9 on turkey looks interesting, makes the 20 gauge a viable option.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wonder where it would be legal to shoot deer with #2s. I’ve no doubt you could kill a deer with one, I’ve killed hogs and coyotes with 7 1/2s at close range, but curious as to the legality.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Dirtfarmer ,

Good morning !
I thought hevi-shot was costly until i saw the Apex brand ammo .
Guys on youtube MFK predator calling folks north of you swear by it and always say it cost $12 per shot , but the website shows $49 per 5 rounds , likely shipping cost of coarse . But $10 per shot - I'd expect crazy good performance for that price .

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/

Hevi-shot now seems like a bargain smile , I have had good luck with the #2 shot on coyotes and a couple of coons .

Scenarshooter ,

You're WRONG ! I would believe the number of coyotes you've killed with #4 buck ......

Shaman ,

I'd gladly read a story on the feral dog removal via shotgun were you inclined to write it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself Rem. 870 express 3'' turkey gun [pistol grip] , 21'' barrel , hs strut extra full choke , winchester black box 3'' #4 buck . Shoots a pattern 26 - 28'' diameter at a lasered 45 yards from the muzzle of the gun . First time i ever patterned a shotgun because i never used one much - it amazed me .

Something i read and tested myself - a dirty barrel can degrade your pattern FAST - as in shot number three it's easy to see the pattern open up and the perfect coverage get spotty . 5 shots pattern is very different from a clean barrel shot . Oily Bore-Snake pulled through the barrel twice - back to great patterns - I always carry the bore-snake when hunting .

I'd take a 60 yard shot with my gun .

Just load them and they are much cheaper. Really easy to load. I’ve some size BB in the classifieds. Be glad to teach any of you how to load them. A roll crimp bit and hand drill is all you need for crimps, but I personally prefer GAEP bits and a drill press. You can pretty much double your range compared to lead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old greybeard coyote killers have been rolling them up with 12 gauge No. Four Buck for a very long time. Shotguns can be fickle as a middle school cheerleader, it's vital to pattern the gun and make sure the point of aim and point of impact are one and the same. Look at the center of the pattern for pellet density. Getting a load tuned up with the perfect choke constriction isn't always easy but when you get it right the shotgun is damned deadly on coyotes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358win
Thanks for the replies. I will probably get some # 4 buckshot.

Thanks again and good hunting to all.

358win

It wouldn`t hurt to check your states reg book for the maximum size shot that you can use.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Lead 4 buck is my choice. About diameter of a 22 bullet. Carries well and penetrates. I believe 41 pellets in a 3 inch .

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by foogle
Lead 4 buck is my choice. About diameter of a 22 bullet. Carries well and penetrates. I believe 41 pellets in a 3 inch .

About .24 caliber...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
#4 buck or hevishot dead coyote.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 4 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.