Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good deal..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey wink man, were you wearing a ski-mask in that shop? Whatta deal!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've never owned a M6/760/7600 but the same could not be said for the M14 or M141. When I was young - probably late teens - I recall considering purchasing a M760. My uncle strongly advised against saying, "they rattle like a tin can." For the deep woods hunting we did where the range could be real close, he believed the deer could easily hear the forearm rattle. I have handled many of them and it doesn't seem to take much of a shake to hear the forearm rattle. I've had plenty of experience that has proven to me how well those big-eared whitetails can hear.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Nostalgiafan
I've never owned a M6/760/7600 but the same could not be said for the M14 or M141. When I was young - probably late teens - I recall considering purchasing a M760. My uncle strongly advised against saying, "they rattle like a tin can." For the deep woods hunting we did where the range could be real close, he believed the deer could easily hear the forearm rattle. I have handled many of them and it doesn't seem to take much of a shake to hear the forearm rattle. I've had plenty of experience that has proven to me how well those big-eared whitetails can hear.

That whole rattling forearm scaring deer argument is beyond silly.

It holds absolutely no reality whatso ever....that is unless you can sneak through the woods in absolute soundlessness...

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by gitem_12

It holds absolutely no reality whatso ever....that is unless you can sneak through the woods in absolute soundlessness...

I think the forend could also rattle as you move the rifle around in the stand. A metallic rattle stands out in the woods. Some sounds are normal in the woods like squirrels thrashing around in the brush, birds hopping around, wind moving trees against each other, etc. The woods are not quiet so some sounds that a hunter might make don't stand out like other sounds.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the 60+ Whitetails I've shot in WI, MI, and KS over the years all must have been deaf!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Hey wink man, were you wearing a ski-mask in that shop? Whatta deal!

This shop is something else Whelen Nut, so are some of the liberal morons in Jersey.

These rifles were owned by people who used to hunt out of state and don't anymore because you can't hunt deer with a centerfire in New Jersey, only shotgun or muzzleloader. So when a guy quits hunting, or dies, family wants to get rid of it. The shop tells them there's no demand in Jersey for these rifles because you can't hunt with them in Jersey. The people tell them they don't care and just want to get rid of it, hence the low prices.

I actually picked 2 up there yesterday. That pump sat there for a few months at $250 with no interest in it, that's why I offered $200. Additionally, I picked up a Remington 700 BDL in 7MM Rem Mag with a KK barrel code which would make it May 1990 manufacture with a Nikon Pre Monarch scope mounted in Leupold rings/bases. 338RCM here tells me it is one of the finest scopes Nikon made. Gun appears to be unfired, not a scratch or mark on it, no wear on boltface, nothing. I picked that combo up for $400, pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it appears there is at least one good thing about living in NJ. Congrats on your new rifles!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I guess the 60+ Whitetails I've shot in WI, MI, and KS over the years all must have been deaf!

Is it possible you're really good at holding the rifle very still? smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I agree fully, it is greatly exaggerated by the naysayers of the day. just like the naysayer gunwriters who claimed Weaver pivot mounts wouldn't hold zero, they obviously never tested them out thoroughly.

I've shot a few deer with a 760 pump and never had one spook because of a forearm rattle before I got to shoot them. if it was that bad, Remington certainly wouldn't have sold the numbers of 760/6/7600 pumps that they have sold.

All my life I've been a firm believer of what Steelhead said on here years ago, and that is if you can fool their nose, you can get away with a lot !!!!!

Exactly LOL !!!! Because people aren't buying pump rifles for target shooting and plinking, are they !!!!!!

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be...but there's 'a whole lot of shaken going on' when a really big one shows up! laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Mine too. I don't know the number, it would take a while to go thru my notes and tally the deer I've killed with 760 (35 Whelen) and M Sixes ( 6mm R, 270 W, & 06 ). It's a bunch.

NONE spooked because of the forearm.

Wink Man said above ^^^^^
"I agree fully, it is greatly exaggerated by the naysayers of the day. just like the naysayer gunwriters who claimed Weaver pivot mounts wouldn't hold zero, they obviously never tested them out thoroughly."

Exaggeration for sure.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some 760's are real rattle traps. All depends on whether or not the o-ring is still there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Some 760's are real rattle traps. All depends on whether or not the o-ring is still there.

Hey Mike

No argument here just some explanation.

I know that some ‘pumps’ forends rattle. I had a friend in SE La who hunted a 760
in 6mm Rem that rattled. That’s the only 1 I’ve been around that did.

My Dad’s first deer rifle was a 760 in 30-06 around 1960
I’ve had plenty 760 / Sixes and hunting friends have or had 7600s.
None of these pumps rattled.

You are correct about the O ring. I did not mean to imply that 760s. 7600s, or Sixes
did not rattle.

IMO from being around A LOT of Rem pumps there is more bad rap than they really
deserve.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree Jerry but I have a bad one right now. A nice 760 BDL and it rattles worse than any I've owned. I believe this one could scare game. I can't replace the o-ring though. I broke a screwdriver trying to remove the action bar so then I applied heat with a torch and still busted a punch trying to get that action bar off. It just ain't coming and I'm going to have to live with the rattle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd like to see remington bring out a carbine in 350 legend.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If they do I'll buy one for Ohio.

If they don't I might have one made.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike

Right ..... That rattle is an easy fix. Slip on a new o-ring and you're GTG.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I think the forend could also rattle as you move the rifle around in the stand. A metallic rattle stands out in the woods. Some sounds are normal in the woods like squirrels thrashing around in the brush, birds hopping around, wind moving trees against each other, etc. The woods are not quiet so some sounds that a hunter might make don't stand out like other sounds.

I suggest you stop thinking.....I'm going to bet your stand makes more "mettallic" sounds as you climb into it than abforeamr on a pump will ever make

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Internet BS started by people that never hunt with them. The dump you took before you tied your boots is going to scare more deer than your rifle.

I have a had a grand total of 1 deer hear my gun. It was “snick” of the safety that he heard. Too late...lights out at 25 feet.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 77 of 149 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.