Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
Quite circular, if you really think about it.
God must have created evil as well. Created Lucifer knowing he would be full of evil.
Then wanted to sit back and watch the movie play out, knowing the ending?

God did create evil as well as everything that has been created. As far as sitting back. Take a look at some of the kings. You see God sending an evil spirt a few times to hassle things.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

I'll see your KJV an raise you a AMP: "The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing peace and creating disaster; I am the Lord who does all these things."

Come down to how you translate the Hebrew word ra and in this context the great majority of scholars go with natural disasters, not moral evil.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not scripture, but help me, I understand God is love, all things good. Evil is the opposite of good. I know God created all, but just how could evil be created by good? Scratching my head on that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
With a little thought, say if evil is a total lack of good, then it might make some sense.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
This is why the Catholic church made having a bible, if not clergy or royalty, a death penalty.
That's about the dumbest thing I've read in a month.

You should have a look at this for some truth - https://www.amazon.com/Where-Bible-Debt-Catholic-Church/dp/0895557967

Some of ou guys are ate up on Jack Chick. :|

Here's some more dumb stuff for you to read:

Decree of the Council of Toulouse (1229 C.E.): “We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.”

Ruling of the Council of Tarragona of 1234 C.E.: “No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments in the Romance language, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days after promulgation of this decree, so that they may be burned...”

Proclamations at the Ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415 C.E.: Oxford professor, and theologian John Wycliffe, was the first (1380 C.E.) to translate the New Testament into English to “...helpeth Christian men to study the Gospel in that tongue in which they know best Christ’s sentence.” For this “heresy” Wycliffe was posthumously condemned by Arundel, the archbishop of Canterbury. By the Council’s decree “Wycliffe’s bones were exhumed and publicly burned and the ashes were thrown into the Swift River.”

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wabigoon, God was very confused that day. smile

Metaphysically if God had a purpose in creating good, a fair assumption, God creating evil which opposes good makes no sense. He would be defeating his own purpose.

That's why in choosing how to translate ancient texts where words often have imprecise meaning depending on context you look for internal consistency and to logic, does it make sense. You even see that in translating "Caesar's Gallic Wars" in Latin class and Caesar was an exceptionally clear writer.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not scripture, but help me, I understand God is love, all things good. Evil is the opposite of good. I know God created all, but just how could evil be created by good? Scratching my head on that.

He created Lucifer as well. Do you believe God did not know Lucifer would become Satan and take 1/3 of the angles with him, to Hell? Do you believe God knows all that will happen? Every single thing? I do. Jesus told us God knows every hair on our heads. That wouldn't be a big trick with me, but every hair on every head that ever lived is a pretty good trick. But it's no trick. That is Omniscience. God is the only Omniscient Being there is. Omniscient means knowing everything. That's a lot!

He has a plan, and that plan fairly obviously requires the presence of evil for the time being. When there is no more time there will likely be no more evil, and God's plan will result in the perfection only an Omniscient God could achieve.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God didn't create Lucifer as evil, that was Lucifer's choice. God gave him the ability to choose as he did for us. Sure he knew what Lucifer would do, He let Lucifer have what Lucifer wanted even though it was against Him. Pretty cool dude if you ask me. You want it, you got it. Toyota. Choose wisely.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nighthawk

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

I'll see your KJV an raise you a AMP: "The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing peace and creating disaster; I am the Lord who does all these things."

Come down to how you translate the Hebrew word ra and in this context the great majority of scholars go with natural disasters, not moral evil.

You dare to hold something other than the KJV up against it?!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version
[quote=nighthawk][quote=RickyD]

Yep and that’s one thing upon which all of historic Christianity agrees; God is NOT in ANY way the author of evil.

He uses it to bring Himself glory yes, but He did NOT create it.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Neither do the great majority of the "scholars" believe in God.

ra': adversity
Original Word: רַע
Part of Speech: Adjective; noun masculine; noun feminine
Transliteration: ra'
Phonetic Spelling: (rah)
Definition: bad, evil
Brown-Driver-Briggs
I. רַע226 adjective bad, evil

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by efw

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version
[quote=nighthawk][quote=RickyD]

Yep and that’s one thing upon which all of historic Christianity agrees; God is NOT in ANY way the author of evil.

He uses it to bring Himself glory yes, but He did NOT create it.

Who did?

Isn't it said of Jesus in John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. The interlinear does not include "things" That's filler for understanding. So what it says and means is that Jesus created ALL. Everything. Even evil.

Otherwise, tell me who created evil and how that would not make Jesus a liar, which of course He is clearly not.

How did Lucifer come to be? Did God not know what he would become? Obviously, God did. Otherwise, He would not be truly Omniscient, but He is.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
God had to create evil in exactly the way and pattern to support His plan. God is in control and will always be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Decree of the Council of Toulouse (1229 C.E.): “We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.”

Ruling of the Council of Tarragona of 1234 C.E.: “No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments in the Romance language, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days after promulgation of this decree, so that they may be burned...”

That's only half the story.
The Council of Toulouse did ban the possession of vernacular Bibles for the laity without a license; not because the Church wished to discourage the people from reading Scripture, but because mistranslations of the Bible were used as a tools for the promotion of the Albigensian heresy. For these reasons, some very poor and incorrectly translated bibles were burned. Both of these councils were provincial councils, assembled for the purpose of addressing local heresies. Think of it this way, how would you like it if someone distributed New World Translation bibles at your church?

One thing that most people seem to forget is that the Bible is the Catholic Church's. Created by the Catholic Church, translated by the Catholic Church, published and distributed by the Catholic Church.
Think of how an author would act if someone rewrote his book, claimed it was written by the original author and then distributed it. Think they'd get sued? Think they'd get a court order that every unauthorized copy be confiscated and destroyed? Of course.

Proclamations at the Ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415 C.E.: Oxford professor, and theologian John Wycliffe, was the first (1380 C.E.) to translate the New Testament into English to “...helpeth Christian men to study the Gospel in that tongue in which they know best Christ’s sentence.” For this “heresy” Wycliffe was posthumously condemned by Arundel, the archbishop of Canterbury. By the Council’s decree “Wycliffe’s bones were exhumed and publicly burned and the ashes were thrown into the Swift River.”
John Wycliffe was a heretic who published his own corrupted translation to support his heresies. His heresies were similar to that of the Lollard's and local councils pointed out 45 of his teachings as being erroneous, notoriously heretical, blasphemous, seditious and some just offensive to pious ears.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Ah, local councils - that should settle it once and for all.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That's only half the story.
The Council of Toulouse did ban the possession of vernacular Bibles for the laity without a license; not because the Church wished to discourage the people from reading Scripture, but because mistranslations of the Bible were used as a tools for the promotion of the Albigensian heresy. For these reasons, some very poor and incorrectly translated bibles were burned. Both of these councils were provincial councils, assembled for the purpose of addressing local heresies. Think of it this way, how would you like it if someone distributed New World Translation bibles at your church?

One thing that most people seem to forget is that the Bible is the Catholic Church's. Created by the Catholic Church, translated by the Catholic Church, published and distributed by the Catholic Church.
Think of how an author would act if someone rewrote his book, claimed it was written by the original author and then distributed it. Think they'd get sued? Think they'd get a court order that every unauthorized copy be confiscated and destroyed? Of course.

John Wycliffe was a heretic who published his own corrupted translation to support his heresies. His heresies were similar to that of the Lollard's and local councils pointed out 45 of his teachings as being erroneous, notoriously heretical, blasphemous, seditious and some just offensive to pious ears.

You are willingly misled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
You dare to hold something other than the KJV up against it?!

laugh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

No, the word is 'evil' - which happens to relate to other verses that say essentially the same thing; that God (assuming existence) is responsible for both good and evil. That God made all things, including evil.

As for the translation of the word 'evil' into 'disaster;

Quote:
''Understandably, the New International Version translators saw fit to alter the prophet’s words by rendering the offensive Hebrew word רָע (rah) as “disaster” instead of correctly translating it as “bad” or “evil.” The New International Version Bible therefore mistranslates Isaiah 45:7 to read:

“I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things.”

The word “disaster” inserted by the New International Version is misleading and purposely ambiguous so that the uninformed reader could conclude that this word refers to natural disasters, such as typhoons, earthquakes and hurricanes. This dubious translation was deliberately forged to conceal the prophet’s original message. As mentioned above, the King James Version correctly translates this verse, and renders the Hebrew word רָע (rah) as “evil.”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if we could just somehow find a cost effective, and efficient way of weeding out the heresies.

the heresies have plagued us for so long, that it's looking like time to have a catharsis?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Sako
It is actually very clear... you either believe the Bible is without error or you do not... you either believe the Bible contradicts itself or you do not... if it does, we should throw it away as it is truly not from God.... THe Bible clearly states that God wants all to be saved....

The only proper understanding of predestination that does not contradict what the bible says is.... God predetermined the plan of who would be saved... not the individual person.

People like Calvin had some serous misunderstandings... Another example is once saved aways saved.... Apostacy is clearly taught in the bible... THink of this... once saved always saved means you can get saved, then go do anytihng you want the rest of your life... and infact do not do what the Bible says... example.. do not follow Gods commands which we are called to do.... so to get around this, people who believe once saved always saved like to claim the people who do this were never saved... Read Hebrews 5&6

Sako, you are so confused.

X2 ...... sorry

Why? What's wrong with what he said?

I'm sorry but I did respond to the wrong post. Please disregard my above post.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.