Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14178274 10/04/19
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
New guy here from southern Ohio. Also should note that I’m a gunsmith that stays quite busy but though it would be nice to join other likeminded folks. I was invited here by my friend Filaman btw. I’d like to post a picture of a small project but can’t figure out how in the world to put a pic here because it says the file size is too large. Tried the image gallery instructions but that doesn’t show how to get the image to this thread.

[img]http://[IMG]https://i77.photobucket.com/al...8D49-D114760B0D01_zpshwibqrii.jpeg[/img][/img]

Last edited by BeardedGunsmith; 10/04/19.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Welcome..
Pictures are impossible for me also..can't help you there...this was much better before photobuckett ruined it...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I sorta got it to work. It’s a customers gun that I changed from a 410 to 45LC. Cut off the barrel, bored out the breech, tapered and turned bbl from a 45 blank, turned a tenon to a slip fit for the breech and acraglassed it in place. Still have to chamber ream it, polish and blue it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome, would like to see your pictures. The secret is that the picture has to exist on the Internet somewhere before you can insert it in a post. Most like to use a free picture sharing service like TinyPic or Imgur. I don't know which is the best right now, I like to store my pictures in the free server space my ISP gives me. You can store them on the gallery here.

If you right click on a picture in Firefox and I believe all popular browsers a menu option "Copy Image Location" pops up. Click that. And now when you wish to post click on the "Use Full Editor" button. Click on the "Insert Image Link" icon..
[Linked Image]
A little dialogue will pop up in which you paste the link to the picture you copied a while back. That should do it. Oh yeah, needs to be .gif .jpg or .png file type. Good to check with "Preview Reply" before posting.

Seems like a PITA but easy once you get it down.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to your link, did the right click copy image location thing and here it is. How are you gonna blue the barrel?

[Linked Image from i77.photobucket.com]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’m one of the few gunsmiths that does hot bluing in the Ohio region (that I know of). I’m going to polish the whole assembly and blue it once all of the machine work is done. Still have to ream the chamber and weld on a tab for the forearm before I do it though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go:

[Linked Image]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Also tried the same thing you said, all that happens is it pastes the link without the picture. I’m also on an iPhone. Not a PC user.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a desktop user, not a smart phone user. smile You don't get to see the picture until you post or hit preview reply. Software made by nerds. Us nerds like to see the link so we can tinker with it. My theory anyway.

Nice you do hot bluing, don't know anyone anywhere near here that does it. Kinda wondering because I get pretty good results with Oxpho Blue and doesn't hurt to compare notes. Got a lot of practice on that and stock work refurbishing truck guns for people. Can't make them worse and the local gunsmith died some years ago so I did them for materials and learning. Even if they were worth a gunsmith's time though old Argo would probably mess with them just because he liked to. Lotsa hardware store grade pumps.

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah I’ve been bluing for quite a while now. People think it’s some sort of voodoo magic but it’s really not too bad. I’ve also slow rust blued quite a few guns too. That’s actually very gratifying but just takes so damn long but necessary on old shotguns with the barrels soft soldered together. If your using cold blue and like the results you’re getting, do yourself a favor and try the perms blue paste. Works great.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, haven't run across that one. Oxpho took a lot of practice for an even job, seems to be all in the technique. A lot of tricks that worked for other people didn't work for me and vice-versa. Been meaning to try rust bluing when I can summon the patience. Got an Argie action and some bits and pieces and a fairly decent full length rough profiled stock I've been meaning to put together into sort of a modern classic for too long now.

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Do you not worry that your hot bluing job will soften the acraglass joint?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Willicd
Do you not worry that your hot bluing job will soften the acraglass joint?

No, at 292 degrees it shouldn’t cause any issues according to the numbers that I’ve looked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with your endeavors, and do visit here with a thick skin.

May touch bases when fall slows as I have Swede in need of bluing.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Good luck with your endeavors, and do visit here with a thick skin.

May touch bases when fall slows as I have Swede in need of bluing.

Definitely know all about keeping a thick skin in places like this. I’m pretty easy going so that’s not a problem. Also thought I’d show some blue jobs I’ve done.

Last edited by BeardedGunsmith; 10/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice! Looks like my dearly departed uncle's work.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I might know you. Are you associated with Legacy Gunsmithing?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shaman

No sir. Where are you from?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

I'm from the North Hartwell/South Woodlawn AO. Where are you?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

I'm from the North Hartwell/South Woodlawn AO. Where are you?

Lighthouse Guns in Fairfield. Not too far from you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. PM me a website or line card or whatever. I'll make sure word gets around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.