Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
R Strange McNamara might could have done better if not for johnson and westmoreland. the dude was boxed in. the politician on one side, the pro-war soldier on the other.

but what else could he do?

i allus blamed johnson for his wrongdoings.

i've got jaguar under contract, searching for his grave right now.

if they made a tv show out of the search it might go on for several seasons.

i know the police action billed as the dirty little war in se asia went on for several seasons.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Gus
R Strange McNamara might could have done better if not for johnson and westmoreland. the dude was boxed in. the politician on one side, the pro-war soldier on the other.

i know the police action billed as the dirty little war in se asia went on for several seasons.

A pro war soldier, interesting subject. Gus, where was it in RVN that you engaged in combat?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Gus

A pro war soldier, interesting subject. Gus, where was it in RVN that you engaged in combat?

mike r

hey, mikey. i built my time at ft hood, tx after basic on tank hill at ft. jack SC.

saw a lot of incoming soldiers being drawn down from the nam.

lot's of good folks. the war was not good for them though, in my opinion.

i'm not down on people who served in the time span. i did. but lot's of folks got chewed up pretty bad, ya know?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been there, done that. Got the T shirt and some medals. We were winning that one until the Politicians gave up.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think the only "truth" is we lost the war. The 59,000 wasted guys, not to mention those who died later or were wounded, were just that--"wasted."

We did not make Viet Nam capitalistic. If we had just adhered to the accords tht mandated an election in 1956, it probably would have become capitalistic 20 years earlier, without the war.

The failure was in policy and strategy, not the fighting men themselves. Our problem was the domino theory, something simply not true.

Why fight a communist government in Viet Nam when we were subsidizing a communist government in Yugoslavia?

Some of the policy failures that guaranteed we would lose, after the US got sick of the endless war:

1. A draft that kept boys vulnerable and uncertain for 8 years, from 18 to 26, with vulnerability increasing each year.

2. Supporting a South Vietnamese government which was corrupt and not supported by its people.

3. Letting the enemy have privileged sanctuaries, guaranteeing the initiative to the North Vietnamese.

4. Worthless search and destroy missions, worthless because we immediately gave up any gains made.

5. McNamara's emphasis on statistics, resulting in phony body counts and aircraft sorties that didn't mean anything.

6. Total misunderstanding of what the North wanted. Bombing pauses for reonsidering? Offering a Red River dam?

7. Lying to the American people, from Tonkin Gulf in 1964 to the Cambodian incursions in 1970.

The only reason we left is that Nixon decided to declare we'd won and would go home. Nixon also defused the corrupt draft system by his lottery system. He gave the South Vietnamese government a couple of years to get their act together, called "Vietnamization." They didn't get their act together. And the North had a trump card--all our prisoners. Finally Nixon started mass bombing and made them release the prisoners. Bye bye. The South Vietnamese collapsed like a deck of cards, in part because Congress refused to keep pouring money for weapons down the South Vietnamese rathole.

So what did we get? Only the knowledge that sending massive amounts of troops and air assets to "win the hearts and minds" is a waste of time, money, and lives. At least in the mid-East we are deploying assets on a far lower level. If we want to fight a real war, we should be prepared to "kill every living thing above ground," to quote General LeMay. If we're not willing to do that, don't go to war. Viet Nam was not worth doing that.

Finally I would like to honor Jane Fonda for her worthy efforts. I intend to present her with a bottle of expensive Skotch whiskey. I will present it to her, after her death, by sprinkling it on her grave. After passing it through my kidneys.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Vietnam today is communist in name only. Look at the wide range of products marked Made in Vietnam and you'll know that it is a thriving and booming capitalist economy.

In short, we won.

In many ways I agree with you but I have to wonder that if we’d have left Vietnam to its own devices wouldn’t it likely be “evolving” with the modern world? Did the 59,000+ lives lost precipitate their evolution or is it a compelling evolution based upon geopolitical inevitability?

That war forever changed this country’s attitudes and began our slide down the slippery slope. It was the harbinger of a new era and it illuminated the power and money that the military industrial complex wields as it made a few vultures incredibly wealthy while causing great pain and sadness for millions.

In my opinion the Vietnam War didn’t advance freedom or defeat communism. It was “fought” by politicians using American boys as their pawns. The less educated and those at the bottom of the socioeconomic strata were disproportionately murdered by politicos from DC in their reckless and callous trade of blood for money (and power). I have always had a deep respect for those that fought that war and then came home to find their country in a <seemingly> irreversible decline. That war legitimized immorality, violence and political divisions while fostering hatred and anti-patriotic rhetoric. Individually we have warriors that are still fighting battles that are 50 years distant while collectively we’re seeing even more vitriol and anti-patriotic rhetoric, rhetoric whose foundations were legitimized during the Vietnam war.

Agreed. We may have postponed the communist takeover, but not by much. And, at a tremendous cost to us and the Vietnamese. We should have learned from the French, but slid into the same trap. Then we repeated those mistakes in Iraq. You're also correct about the underprivileged fighting the war, especially racial minorities.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I think the only "truth" is we lost the war. The 59,000 wasted guys, not to mention those who died later or were wounded, were just that--"wasted."

We did not make Viet Nam capitalistic. If we had just adhered to the accords tht mandated an election in 1956, it probably would have become capitalistic 20 years earlier, without the war.

The failure was in policy and strategy, not the fighting men themselves. Our problem was the domino theory, something simply not true.

Why fight a communist government in Viet Nam when we were subsidizing a communist government in Yugoslavia?

Some of the policy failures that guaranteed we would lose, after the US got sick of the endless war:

1. A draft that kept boys vulnerable and uncertain for 8 years, from 18 to 26, with vulnerability increasing each year.

2. Supporting a South Vietnamese government which was corrupt and not supported by its people.

3. Letting the enemy have privileged sanctuaries, guaranteeing the initiative to the North Vietnamese.

4. Worthless search and destroy missions, worthless because we immediately gave up any gains made.

5. McNamara's emphasis on statistics, resulting in phony body counts and aircraft sorties that didn't mean anything.

6. Total misunderstanding of what the North wanted. Bombing pauses for reonsidering? Offering a Red River dam?

7. Lying to the American people, from Tonkin Gulf in 1964 to the Cambodian incursions in 1970.

The only reason we left is that Nixon decided to declare we'd won and would go home. Nixon also defused the corrupt draft system by his lottery system. He gave the South Vietnamese government a couple of years to get their act together, called "Vietnamization." They didn't get their act together. And the North had a trump card--all our prisoners. Finally Nixon started mass bombing and made them release the prisoners. Bye bye. The South Vietnamese collapsed like a deck of cards, in part because Congress refused to keep pouring money for weapons down the South Vietnamese rathole.

So what did we get? Only the knowledge that sending massive amounts of troops and air assets to "win the hearts and minds" is a waste of time, money, and lives. At least in the mid-East we are deploying assets on a far lower level. If we want to fight a real war, we should be prepared to "kill every living thing above ground," to quote General LeMay. If we're not willing to do that, don't go to war. Viet Nam was not worth doing that.

Finally I would like to honor Jane Fonda for her worthy efforts. I intend to present her with a bottle of expensive Skotch whiskey. I will present it to her, after her death, by sprinkling it on her grave. After passing it through my kidneys.

I'm not going to say you're wrong about any particular point...in fact you're right on a lot of points. However, I think you're overlooking the fact that the defeat of North Vietnam was at hand when the politicians decided to jerk the rug out from under our allies in the south. At the insistence of the marxist left here in the USA, of course.

Total agreement on how to commemorate Jane Fonda's demise.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have much objection to what Indy wrote but think some of you fellas are a bit short on review of the timeline of affairs that led us into that war. It started before Truman actually and it was his doctrine that set the stage.

https://www.shmoop.com/vietnam-war/timeline.html

That said JFK was prepared to pull out of the affair just before his assassination and LBJ ditched the documents prepared for that purpose. In the larger picture Truman overlooked the lessons of WW2 and entered us into our first circle jerk in Korea. LBJ repeated this sin in spades, as did Bush 2. Junior couldn't even learn the proper way to wage war from his daddy. Sad stuff in every way...near 40 years of war between the Mideast and Nam and damn little to show for it. Did ya know that Ladybird was a major stockholder in Textron Industries, aka Bell Helicopter? And like Nixon or not, he got us out of the war by sealing their ports, cutting overland roads and rail lines and destroying the north's capacity to wage war with the use of brute force. That is part of the equation of war that works pretty much every day of the week. I would be very supportive of Constitutional amendment such that eligibility for POTUS required military combat experience, or lacking a convenient war, military service of at least 5 years in the combat arms.

When I get to Hell I'm gonna lift LBJ off the floor by his ears. Right after I turn McNamara into a grease spot. Right next to Jane F.

I agree with Rocky on the point that in a round about way we won, but also think it was a war that never had to be fought. And getting wasted was a ritual we all shared, damn near every night in the 'Club.

There are no chopper pilots down in Hell,
there are no chopper pilots down in Hell!
Navigators, Bombardiers, and a bunch of other queers,
but there are no chopper pilots down in Hell!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was part of that event and saddened when we lost. My thoughts are that to truly win a war, the enemy should be mercilessly hammered until they beg us to quit. Then like Japan, occupy the country for about 2 generations to assure a reasonable government is established.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

pal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glad so many here enjoyed reading it.

Perhaps few realize that one of the greatest losses combat veterans suffer is the loss of their natural innocence. Most of us grow up really owning "Thou shalt not kill." Those of us who were forced to take other human lives truly lost something that now isolates us from virtually all others.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Was part of that event and saddened when we lost. My thoughts are that to truly win a war, the enemy should be mercilessly hammered until they beg us to quit. Then like Japan, occupy the country for about 2 generations to assure a reasonable government is established.

Yup. That's the way to do it. Germany ultimately was a success, too, if you overlook the way the USSR was given a part and the pickle they've gotten themselves into more recently. Korea had way too much politics involved, but at least we've stood by the south to this day.

What we've done since then has had politics in the mix every time, and the liberals have made sure every gain is ultimately lost for their own political gain.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good read and tnx..

It's been almost 50 yrs and another lifetime for many of us here since the last day we said our goodbyes to our brothers in arms we left behind ...I think all of us remember that timeline as if it were yesterday to some extent with mixed feelings of happiness and sadness for those not so fortunate however we will honor their valor till the last breath we breathe.

I have no regrets for serving even in those tumultuous times and for the most part have put it behind me although hardly a day goes by that a sight or smell doesn't trigger a memory especially since I reside so close to my last duty assignment.. Lots of SEA vets here as well so even as we grow old this precious brotherhood is not only intact but very much alive and well...

My thanks to all you here for your devotion to duty and country during the hardest of times...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was a young man of 18 when I enlisted.6 years later I knew that I was a complete different person.Friends and comrades from boot camp and high school were now dead.I knew every day of my life from then on was a bonus and lived my life to the fullest for my buds who could`nt anymore.I pledged never to forget them and never have.I try and go to the wall every chance I can to tell them of my gratitude to them for what they did.I am diminished.Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 10/05/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Good read and tnx..

It's been almost 50 yrs and another lifetime for many of us here since the last day we said our goodbyes to our brothers in arms we left behind ...I think all of us remember that timeline as if it were yesterday to some extent with mixed feelings of happiness and sadness for those not so fortunate however we will honor their valor till the last breath we breathe.

I have no regrets for serving even in those tumultuous times and for the most part have put it behind me although hardly a day goes by that a sight or smell doesn't trigger a memory especially since I reside so close to my last duty assignment.. Lots of SEA vets here as well so even as we grow old this precious brotherhood is not only intact but very much alive and well...

My thanks to all you here for your devotion to duty and country during the hardest of times...

I have searched and cannot find words to add to this. Says it all, at least for me.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just throwing this out there since the topic of before the war came up.

Saw a documentary on Ho Chi Minh, said how he came to the US, the #1 country in the world known for freedom and self determination, looking forsupport.
How he wanted to get rid of the French, and have his country be
free, and self governed. We sided with France (ofF'ncourse) and supported
them in their ruling over Vietnam. That led him to look elsewhere for help.
China, and Russia.

True, or false.

If true, could one say that our biggest F'up was to support a colonizer
over a colony. (hypocrisy doesn't begin to cover that)

If we had supported Ho, he may have became a tyrant.
Or, a George Washington. If so, consider the world today.
Most of the problems we rant about are based on liberalism.
Without the war, where would Libs be today.

What an idea for one of Newt Gingrich's books, where he
changes a single event in history, then writes about what
would have happened if...

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/05/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Good read and tnx..

Thank you Brother, there are us and those like us. No one else has a clue. See you all in Valhalla including DD when he finishes his light work in hellgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just as soon as I scrub the floor!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The sniveling cowards who refused to serve their country in the 60's and 70's took control of business, politics, education, and entertainment while the rest of us raised our hands, took an oath, and marched off to war. Then they poisoned the well of public opinion when those of us who survived returned, often crippled in body and/or mind. The children and grandchildren of those same worthless wastes of sperm have followed in their ancestors' footsteps to make this nation a sad parody of its former greatness. In the opinion of a lot of us, there are two Americas- - - -one populated by veterans and other patriots who serve our fellow citizens and work for the common good, and a huge number of the same sort of cowardly, self-absorbed scum who have no morals, or love of country. May they rot in Hell- - - - -along with the rest of their own kind!
Jerry

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I can’t add anything to any of the perspectives offered. I just know after my tour, I had a totally different outlook on all things human. I didn’t hunt for almost 20 years since the critters can’t shoot back. I’ve been over that for about 30. I quit LE after 3 years of seeing the same thing expecting different results in the city. Humanity sucks without the Lord. I might also remind one that what they say about not fuggin’ with an old man is true.... Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.