Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For hunting accuracy, how important is brass trim length, as long as it’s under max? Is a few thou variation gonna make any noticeable difference? How much variation in length is acceptable?

Also, I know brass too long is bad and can cause pressure issues. But can brass be too short? Is that potentially damaging to the rifle? Excess throat erosion or something?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 10/05/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For hunting accuracy

In my book, hunting accuracy is more critical that paper punching. Accuracy is rarely harmed by generating a consistent product. Take the time to do it right, then one need not worry.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It depends on the cartridge. You wouldn't want to be too short on the 300wm neck, as the neck is already "too short". A lot of other cartridges have enough to spare that you would be fine with .040" shorter than recommended trim length. As you stated in the op, you don't want to be too long or over sami spec on any cartridge, but being short won't hurt a damn thing. It has to be a lot shorter before it starts affecting accuracy as well. I too like to keep things as consistent as possible, but every once in a while you'll have an oops and end up trimming a piece a bit too short. I haven't seen that affect accuracy enough to worry about though... I, however, don't shoot benchrest competition either. If I'm shooting centerfire competition or what my club calls "precision" rifle comps, I'd leave anything out of the normal at home or use it for practice. Eventually it will stretch and catch up....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trimming should be a rare event. The end of the chamber is usually so long that should brass stretch that much IMO it should be retired. Many chambers are .050" to .070" past the length of cartridge when new.

Naturally it is good to start with all brass the same length for consistent tension/bullet release.

Many loading manuals suggest trim length .010" shorter than standard length. I think trim suggestions were created so the uninformed handloader won't get into trouble.

Informed handloaders KNOW the distance to end of chamber. It is quite easy and will save you a ton of time wasted on trimming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnXJxaAw2U

To answer your question. I have never noticed any difference in any trim length vs untrimmed brass in a hunting rifle. I used to trim and occasionally made the case too short then corrected the issue. Mixed the cases and had good accuracy.

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/06/19.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks all. I’m not worried so much about losing a minuscule amount of accuracy. I’m more concerned that a short case would somehow cause more throat erosion or something.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I don't like trimming, so when I do, I trim my brass short.

Just keep the length even and you will be fine.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought the case length measurement plugs from Brownells. Put them in a lightly tightened neck that is trimmed way short. Insert into chamber and bolt in. Eject and “walla” you have your max brass length. I have found my chambers have max brass lengths anywhere from 15-45 thousandths longer than book max length. I make a note for each individual rifle of its max brass length and as long as I am 10 thousandths lower than max, I don’t trim. I hardly ever trim brass now unless I am really fine tuning a load.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...clair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I bought the case length measurement plugs from Brownells. Put them in a lightly tightened neck that is trimmed way short. Insert into chamber and bolt in. Eject and “walla” you have your max brass length. I have found my chambers have max brass lengths anywhere from 15-45 thousandths longer than book max length. I make a note for each individual rifle of its max brass length and as long as I am 10 thousandths lower than max, I don’t trim. I hardly ever trim brass now unless I am really fine tuning a load.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...clair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

I carved one out of wood, prior to finding Brownells done thought of it too. Good little tools.

(That was when I had one rifle and was self-teaching myself to reload and didn't have a case trimmer. I was trimming with a deburring tool. Had read that a kaboom was a possibility with cases too long and it seemed a sensible way to figure out how long was too long. Nowadays I tend to trim a little short, and collet neck resize and retrim infrequently. But, thinking this over, trimming too short could be hampering my accuracy? Will have to take another look at it.)

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/15/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a lathe you can make your own. Thanks to Varmint Al's website I found the dimensions and did just that:

https://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm#Chamber_Length_Gauge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool. Thanks for the link.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just run them on a Lee trimmer in a drill. Easier then measuring them and they won't need it again until five or more loadings depending on the case.

Very short cases could increase throat/chamber erosion but it is like shooting 38s in a 357 mag chamber or 44 special in a 44 mag. It will take several thousand rounds to scorch out the chamber to the point it will affect accuracy. In a rifle the throat will be toast usually before the chamber transition goes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm another that believes in taking the time to do it right. But I doubt that most of us can shoot the difference if the length varies a few thousands. Its probably different with different cases too. Like the difference in the neck length between 222 and 223.

lightman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Buy a WFT or WFT2. Set it to length at the start of load development. Trim every time. Do it right.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I check case length periodicly and trim to the trim to length. Cases that are shorter than the trim to length are set aside and checked to determine just how short they are. Most times my cases aren't over the maximum length just not of uniform length, trimming remedies this. I can't conceive that a short case would cause any significant chamber erosion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.