Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Spud type? Wheeler has one that's magnetic?

Do I NEED daylight green or not? Such limited time, it'd be great to get things close at home, from the couch.

Stopping by Brownells to take a look.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've tried some that belonged to others. They wouldn't save me a single round of ammo nor one minute of my time getting a rifle zeroed. With a bolt gun I can get my 1st shot significantly closer to the aiming point by simply looking through the bore at an object at home or at the range and adjusting the sights than I can with the laser bore sight tools. Irons or optics. On guns where it is harder to bore sight I just use a target big enough that I can't miss at 50 yards. All you need to do is get the 1st shot on paper, it doesn't matter if it is 12" or 1/2" from your aiming point.

The "tools" are only going to get you 3-4" from your aiming point. Figure out the distance you're off, adjust sights the proper amount and the 2nd shot will be at the aiming point. Fire 2 shots at 50, then one at 100 then fine tune and you're zerod at 100 with 3 shots. Then you can start shooting groups.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What models did you use?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone handle the Wheeler magnetic green?

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've never used one. I have witnessed many rifles fail to get on paper that had been "professionally" laser boresighted.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Indeed, "professional" is highly variable!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
To spud or no spud is the question. If the Wheeler has no mechanism for centering with the bore, how could it possibly work?

BTW, getting onto a 16" square at 50 yards rather than starting at 10 or 15 would be a plus. Have 10 rifles ready to go. Some are not conducive to looking through the bore. BTDT

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get them too close at home, or you won't have to leave the couch.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned both the red and green magnetic laser bore sighters. They work pretty well. You get a reflective sheet to put up so the laser dot shows up better. I haven't needed the sheet thus far. I have even used it out my back window looking at my neighbor's stockade fence. Just remember to remove the bore sighter before shooting if you're using it at the range!! As I recall, I paid more for the green one as it shows up better. It does show up better. I gave the red one to a shooting buddy. I have no trouble seeing the dot at 50 yards.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. I fondled the red and it'd be perfectly usable for what I have in mind. Easily visible in the showroom. But I have located the green cheap so buying it.

I thought about it intensely and managed to walk out without spending any money. I avoid sales tax whenever possible. Had more time than my previous stop. Like the AR grip and trigger display. Great company imo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Green Wheeler on Amazon for $85. Get some.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/05/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice shïtter!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kingston

Nice shïtter!

The best on I-80, without a doubt. Although cell reception in crap in there so I couldn't post during... Plus free soda and coffee!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Nice shïtter!

The best on I-80, without a doubt. Plus free soda and coffee!

Looks like the handicapped stall. 😳

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Looks like the handicapped stall. 😳

I'd gladly get up for someone in a chair....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQJCWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/05/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice shïtter!

The best on I-80, without a doubt. Although cell reception in crap in there so I couldn't post during... Plus free soda and coffee!

That stall should have a shower head.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Nice shïtter!

That stall should have a shower head.

Be like the comfort rooms in the Philippines. One tiled spot for the throan and a floor drain and garden hose and bucket for washing things...

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I've written a number of times before, the highest and best use for a "boresighter" is to help in getting a scope reasonably aligned with the bore during mounting. Part of the "problem" is that ammo doesn't always shoot exactly where the bore points.

We've all seen how various rifles will put different loads into different places, even after one particular load is sighted-in, however that's defined. So there's no way for a collimator will insure every kind of ammo lands near the center of the reticle. But by trying the collimator on several sighted-in rifles, we can comes up with a reasonable average.

Given all that, I have had good luck with the Wheeler laser collimator (green beam), given that the point of light tends to be lower than the center of the reticle at, say, 15-20 feet, about as much space as available indoors. Outside it's pretty darn accurate at around 30 yards, partly because the magnet's circular area is over an inch wide, so you can slide it up and down on the muzzle to approximate the scope's height above the center of the bore. It's especially helpful on calibers where bore-spuds aren't small or large enough, whether on a .17 Hornet or 12-gauge slug gun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks JB. Appreciate your input.

I definitely liked the build quality on it compared to my Bushnell optical magnetic doodad.

Oh, since you don't have a steady job, maybe you could sight these in for me? laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

Would be happy to loan you the Wheeler if you wanna try it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LOL

Got one on the way!

Cheers and happy hunting.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 9 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.