Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, I don't frequent the gun sites much, but popped onto Guns Int. last night to peruse LH ARs and found a newly-listed Winchester model 70 SS .270 in lefty. Looks like a real peach, and owner claims never fired.

Called at 5;30 this morning just as he was opening in Ohio and claimed it. I'm hoping the $1250 asking price is about right, I didn't haggle.
The simple truth is that I don't follow the M70.s ...thoughts on the price with today's softer LH market?
I'm curious on how many southpaws here have an LH m70 in SS? Are magnums the norm or non-magnums? Issues with this model?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g....cfm?gun_id=101305005&contact_sent=1

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't have a SS LH 70. I do have a blued one I bought several years ago. I don't think that's out of line for a SS left hand 70. Mine was in 30-06 and I rebarreled it to 400 Whelen. I like the new model 70's. I've never had any issues with mine. I think I've seen a few more of them in magnums than standard chamberings. I honestly haven't seen many in 270 and fewer in SS and 270. Good find and enjoy.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice. I think you got a very fair deal and given the condition, you are in good shape. I have five currently with one more in the mail now. I would expect it to shoot decent but adjusting the trigger will help. I had my 270 m70 rebarreled to a featherweight contour at 22” and put in an McMillian stock. It came out better than expected and is by far my favorite rifle.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Frank, I think you did just fine price-wise. Looks to be in excellent condition.

When you get tired of playing with it, let me know. smile Still enjoying the LH Rem KS 270. Had it out this afternoon checking zero after scrubbing the bore. Printed the 5 shot group below at 109 yards. Not sure way the pic rotated. But the 5 shot group measured 1.1". The outlier is the first fouling shot after cleaning and oiling the bore. Shots 2,3,4,5 went into 0.7", centered, about 1.5" high. Should be good to go for deer season next month.

Just pulling your chain... You did fine on the LH SS M70...

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Frank,

You did good on the rifle. I had a stainless M 70 in 30-06 and got rid of it a few years ago. I like the lightweight stainless 700 in 270 I got from you.

IC B2

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellas, and both of those Remingtons are fine guns.
Warren, that KS .270 may be the best overall shooter I've ever owned. I was just yesterday telling a friend about all of the success I had with that rifle.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Being the inveterate tinkerer, the only thing I would change on that rifle would be to get a McM Compact Edge painted brown with a red pad. And go hunt.

And I was serious... Ping me when you get tired of it... smile

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Was $1250.00 a good price for the M70? Based on its description and the pictures posted on GI, more than likely it was. I saw the posting a few days ago and was tempted myself, but have its twin sitting in my project queue, so I passed. The standard calibers such as 270 and 30-06 seem to be the most desirable of the LH M70's, particularly the stainless versions.

That said, there are a few little things I'd check out to be certain I got a good value. First, make up 5 dummy rounds and make sure it feeds/ejects properly. More than likely it will, but I've seen a few that don't.

Second, get a set of Talley Light Weight rings and mount a scope to see if the scope mount holes on the front/rear bridge are straight. Mose are, but it's good to know what you've got.

Third, and depending on how far you want to go, I'd replace the extractor with an aftermarket version. I haven't looked lately, but these may be hard to find. Although I may have a few sitting in my parts bin, let me check. I'm happy to send you one if I have an extra lying around and you're interested. PM me if you are and I'll check.

Fourth, and this is debatable, send it off to a good M70 gunsmith and have the action bedded and barrel floated. Have the trigger adjusted too. Redneck, who posts on this forum, can fix you up. Of course you may want to shoot it before shipping the gun off doing this.

Congrats on an excellent find and purchase. I hope you got a good one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a LH SS M-70 in .270, but I bought it a decade and a half ago.

Good shooter, but I didn't put any load development into it as I have a lot of other LH rifles.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LJB
That said, there are a few little things I'd check out to be certain I got a good value. First, make up 5 dummy rounds and make sure it feeds/ejects properly. More than likely it will, but I've seen a few that don't.
The factory extractors have been "lazy" on the ones I've had; i.e., they don't pick up the rounds well or eject worth a damn with some brass. Just swap out the extractor with a Williams and be done with it.

Originally Posted by LJB
Second, get a set of Talley Light Weight rings and mount a scope to see if the scope mount holes on the front/rear bridge are straight. Mose are, but it's good to know what you've got.
Fairy tale. The holes are drilled simultaneously with a jig that places them on the same axis. What DOES happen is the barrels are sometimes not threaded into the receiver squarely; this can cause problems, but can be remedied by a competent gunsmith.

Originally Posted by LJB
Third, and depending on how far you want to go, I'd replace the extractor with an aftermarket version. I haven't looked lately, but these may be hard to find.
They are not. Brownell's no longer lists them, but they can be purchased directly from Williams.

Originally Posted by LJB
I hope you got a good one.
He did. The stainless versions were offered for one year only -- 1997 -- and Winchester/USRAC was trying to make a big splash with the lefties and quality and wood selection was very good. Things didn't start getting sloppy until the second run in 2001 and even those aren't bad rifles.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
looks like a great find, nice wood from the pics! Let us know how it shoots

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or a simple call to Talley would get facts on the notorious scope hole issue. As a ring maker, they certainly have seen it.
But they weren't all as bad as some of that era were. Some need windage bases, some don't.
The standard bolt face generally draws a premium. If this gun had the box and was on Gunbroker, $1250 would have been in the rear view long before the auction ended. Not many unfired ones out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KenBitchAgain
Or a simple call to Talley would get facts on the notorious scope hole issue. As a ring maker, they certainly have seen it.
But they weren't all as bad as some of that era were. Some need windage bases, some don't.
I'd be more interested in how many stainless Model 70s you've seen with this alleged "issue," numbers of stainless Model 70s owned, and stainless Model 70s currently owned. Your "experience" is always most "impressive."

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by some dumbass
Originally Posted by KenMi
I'd be more interested in how many stainless Model 70s you've seen with this alleged "issue," numbers of stainless Model 70s owned, and stainless Model 70s currently owned. Your "experience" is always most "impressive."

I'd tell you but it would be way over your head. So, keep on dreamin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The Guy Who OWNS KenBitchAgain
It's a simple question and you're a simple minded "guy." If these alleged "problems" exist, you can easily prove it. Either put up or SHUT THE F*CK UP. What's it going to be? As many gunsmiths inhabit the forum, surely just one would corroborate your fairy tale, fairy.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had a LH Win 70 SS in 06. Very accurate, nice rifle sold it to another member here who sold it also, we both regret it!

Bought it from a gun shop in Ketchikan over the phone, a LH collector had all sorts of LH rifles including LH Steyr rifles. Most were like new I was told, always wanted to try a LH Steyr rifle. But at the time raising a family money was short.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember going to either safari club or a gun show and seeing multiple racks of SS 70s. I wish I had a crystal ball then and picked up several. The Steyr is a nice rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto.

Used to be a sporting goods/gun store in Boise called Black Sheep, they had another location in I believe Lewiston. Called asking about left hand SS Model 70's and they didn't have any in Boise but had several at the other store, .30-06, .270, .300 WM, even a .375 H&H. They were in the mid-upper $600 range IIRC. It was about a 4 hour drive so I figured some would show up at the local store soon enough. But of course they didn't since Winchester only made them for one year.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... cry

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
It's a simple question and you're a simple minded "guy." If these alleged "problems" exist, you can easily prove it. Either put up or SHUT THE F*CK UP. What's it going to be? As many gunsmiths inhabit the forum, surely just one would corroborate your fairy tale, fairy.

Really gets your panties in a twist, doesn't it?
If I told you I owned one with the issue, you would just go deeper into a delusional tirade. So just keep guessing and keep trolling.
I mentioned Talley because I spoke with them 20 years ago about this. While you evidently were still in diapers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Originally Posted by KenBotchAgain
Really gets your panties in a twist, doesn't it?
If I told you I owned one with the issue, you would just go deeper into a delusional tirade. So just keep guessing and keep trolling.
I mentioned Talley because I spoke with them 20 years ago about this. While you evidently were still in diapers.
You're just like the guy who heckles and gets invited on stage: NO MATERIAL.

Your ass is OWNED. smirk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.