Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hey guys, I’m new to muzzleloaders and I just agreed to buy the one for sale on here.

Anyone have any decent pet loads they could share for this one in particular (powder manufacturer, powder charge, bullet manufacturers/weights)?

Also, any other needed ML’ing gear and tips?

Thank you

Last edited by addicted; 09/30/19.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Which cal?
They made 3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If it’s a .50 my recipe is 120 grains of Blackhorn 209
With a 250 grain Barnes MZ traveling along at 2100 +\-
Topped with a leupold vx3 cds I consistently bang steel at 300
Get yourself a 209 upgrade
I went with the arrowhead breechplug/firing pin
Trust me cleaning now (esp with the bh209) is waaay easier

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A ton of information to share.

Just acquired the 50 cal Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Considering the Arrowhead upgrade and eventually a bore rider style bullet used in conjunction with a vege wad and BH 209. Neighbor did exactly that to his RUM two years ago and is getting excellent performance.

For now I am happy with the results using the recommended 250 gr Accutip ( Barnes bullet with a green sabot ) I tried recommended four 50 gr Triple seven pellets. Had some 60 gr Triple 7 mag pellets too. In this way mixed the two to get 10 gr increments below the recommended max. Found a great load using three 60 gr Triple Seven pellets for velocity of 2326 fps.

From my documents file:

The 250 rem accubond G1 BC is .210 (same as Barnes spitfire TMZ) talked to Barnes rep 7/30/19
He said he used the 250 accutip to shoot a huge bull at 150 yds with muzzle velocity of 1800 fps flattened elk. Shot it though both shoulders, skin tented and caught bullet. DRT. He told me the accutip uses a special sabot as rifling in barrel has higher lands than most muzzleloader barrels. He said play with powder charges can go as low as 50-75 grs of powder. Just be sure impact velocity is 1100 fps for proper expansion.

tip from Encore of LR Hunting:
Regarding the bullet/sabot combination made by Remington: If that's what you have to shoot, take each bullet out of the sabot and reinsert it. Pay attention to the notch in the sabot and line up the bullet base to the notch. The sabots should not stick to the bullet, or visa versa. I've seen where you could grab a sabot with a bullet right from the package and couldn't throw the bullet out of the sabot. That's not good.

The 250 gr accutip bullet essentially is the excellent Barnes 250 grain Spit-fire T-EZ flat base, but sized to .4485 inch. The green sabot is a proprietary Remington sabot, developed by MMP and Remington specifically for the Remington 700 Ultimate, and has a 25-30% higher tensile strength than any other sabot.
==================================================================================

Some things I did:

Removed primers in supplied brass and replaced with Fed 215s.

Torqued action screws to 55 in/lb ( not bedded maybe before next year's season)

Bought a T-handle that threads on the cleaning rod. Makes loading and cleaning much easier.

Getting the second bullet and sabot down a fouled bore is quite difficult. I actually put a third bullet in without cleaning and it got extremely difficult. Wanted to see how it shot fouled vs clean. Group opened up some. Think it is best to shoot on clean bore everytime if possible.

Kept reading and discovered a way to get that second bullet in within a reasonable time with ease should you have to reload in the field. Called a spit patch. I know it sounds strange but it works. Put the proper sized patch in you mouth and get it wet. Run it down the bore and out, flip it over and repeat. Then run a dry patch through and reload. Shot after shot groups great.

I have the laminate stock. Discovered that the front swivel stud is a very short wood screw! It began to pull out when I used a Harris bi-pod. I made a narrow plate of steel to fit channel below cleaning rod. Threaded to take a Butler Creek machine screw stud.

==============================================================================================

FYI using BH 209 in you factory stock RUM will void the warranty. From thread on LR Hunting by Encore.

"Remington appears to be now cracking down on shooters who insist on using BH209 in the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Remington is stating that BH209 IS NOT an approved propellant.

Now this is something that I've been suggesting since the RUM went into production, but some writer promoted it and off everyone went, even though its never been written in the owner's manual as an approved propellant. Someone at the call desk at Remington told people that they could shoot BH from the rifle, actually more than one shooter was told this. However, it appears things have changed.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I’m curious due to Remington previously telling me I’m fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington’s stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."

As far as Blackhorn 209, Remington WILL NOT warrant the rifle at all if you shoot BH209 through the rifle. Remington started replacing breech plugs one right after the other and one of the issues was the use of BH209 and its nitrocellulose properties, the other improper head spacing and PP brass primer carriers. So the easiest and fastest thing was to stop warranting rifles shot with BH. (see post #1) I've been telling owners not to use BH since RW came out saying it was ok and everyone started doing it, even though the Remington manual states different.

If you shoot BH, regardless of the amount of charge used and gas cut the breech plug, Remington is most likely going to tell you you're on your own and charge you. If you don't shoot the recommended propellant listed in the Remington manual, they're not going to warrant the rifle from my understanding."

Just looked at LR Hunting and found a recent thread on using blackhorn 209 in a RUM. Picture shows what to look for in the cases which shows gas cutting.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-muzzleloader.177944/page-3#post-1719355

Hope this is useful.

Ross

Last edited by Azshooter; 09/30/19.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Tom264
Which cal?
They made 3

Sorry, assumed everyone thought it was a 50 caliber.

Updated my OP, thanks

Semper Fidelis!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington Premier Accutips 250 grain, four 50 grain Triple Seven pellets. Go shoot deer.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For the older Rem ML, I like 120 gr Pyrodex select, 240 Hornady XTP in .44 with their sabot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had one since they came out. My rifle shoots 300 gn bullets well and doesn't like the lighter ones. I have used Black powder,Pyrodex loose and pellets, cleanshot, and BH209. I recently added a Badger ridge breechplug, firing pin and boltnose kit. It makes the breech sealed. The original Remington is slamfire and blows back in your face. And blows gases down into the trigger assembly. I have killed many deer with mine. I shoot CCI magnum shotgun primers, 100 gns BH209, and a 300 gn Barnes expander bullet in an MMP sabot. It shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yds.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks fellas

Semper Fidelis!
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't have a load for a 50 caliber but I bought a 54 caliber Remington ML this summer and it is turning out to be one of the most accurate ML's I've shot. I started with 95gr of 2F and a Hornady 45 caliber in a sabot it shoots just over an inch @ 100yds. The first day it shot that well I thought it was a fluke but when it did the same a week later I was very happy. Good luck with your new muzzleloader

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If its a older 700 ml then they like 240-300 gr XTP`s and 85-100 gr of pyrodex RS, everyone Ive owned shot great with these bullets and powder.. green sabots for the 240 gr xtp and the ez mmp sabot for the 300 gr..
they also shot good with pyrodex pellets, my buddy had one that would shoot one hole groups at 50 yds with pellets and 1 in groups at 100.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of the Ultimate versions in 50 caliber. SD doesn't allow magnification for ML season, so I put a Lyman steel aperture sight on it. I put a lower front sight on it as it was quite high, IMHO. I had to elevate the sight so that the set screw wouldn't touch, until I lowered the front sight.

I have not had a lot of experience with mine. I shot 40 rounds today through it. I only used triple-7 50 grain pellets and I used 3. 4 gave me more than I thought might be needed for a white tail doe.

I tried the Nosler 300 grain sabot bullet. It shot fine until the bore got dirty and I believe the petals came off when I pushed the bullet in. (The push became very easy.) I had zero luck with that bullet after the petals came off. Then I tried 250 grain Powerbelt. I liked the way that fed.

I also have some Barnes pure copper sabot bullets and I have not tried them.

I have real 4 brands of BP and Pyrodex. I think I might pour that Pyrodex in a gopher hole and set it on fire. The Triple 7 works ok. I read an article that IMR "White Hots" are the most accurate pellets. That author like Blackhorn 209 though.

The triple 7 and the two bullets I tried were quite accurate, until the petal issue. I'll be taking triple 7 and 250 grain Powerbelts in December. According to my calculation the bullet path will be:

50 yards +.9
100 yards +.6
150 yards -1.8
200 yards -6.8

But I guessed at the BC at .2 - the velocity was 2,476.

I bought the rifle for New Mexico Elk Hunt and that fell through, I had a M8 Leupold 4x scope on it.

I have another percussion 54 ML. I think I could have saved some time and money by just staying with that one for iron sights.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/22/19.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Tom264
If it’s a .50 my recipe is 120 grains of Blackhorn 209
With a 250 grain Barnes MZ traveling along at 2100 +\-
Topped with a leupold vx3 cds I consistently bang steel at 300
Get yourself a 209 upgrade
I went with the arrowhead breechplug/firing pin
Trust me cleaning now (esp with the bh209) is waaay easier

Tom are you shooting 120 grains in the old 700 or the new ultimate muzzle loader? What 209 primers work well with blackthorn? I have a 50 & 54 old style 700 ml I am getting ready to dial in - setting up the 50 for my son & updated it last year with the badger ridge conversion - where is a good place to find a reduced type load? The 54 I was thinking about starting with 45cal bullets but I never shot a 54. thanks

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Old 700
I’m using CCI 209’s

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My advice is to use loose powder rather than pellets if you’re going for best accuracy. Try all the propellant options to find the most accurate in your gun (777, Pyrodex, and yes, even FFG). I have an in-line that will have bullet holes touching at 100 with 2 777 pellets and a very large group with 150 grain charges. You’re going to have to find what works best for your rifle. I know I said generally that loose powder yields better accuracy, but my shots are limited by vegetation and terrain and the rifle likes pellets. As always, YMMV. Have fun! They are fun to shoot!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Great info here....tagged

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
My advice is to use loose powder rather than pellets if you’re going for best accuracy. Try all the propellant options to find the most accurate in your gun (777, Pyrodex, and yes, even FFG). I have an in-line that will have bullet holes touching at 100 with 2 777 pellets and a very large group with 150 grain charges. You’re going to have to find what works best for your rifle. I know I said generally that loose powder yields better accuracy, but my shots are limited by vegetation and terrain and the rifle likes pellets. As always, YMMV. Have fun! They are fun to shoot!

My muzzleloader is the same way. It won’t shoot 150 grain loads worth a darn but shoots less than 1 inch groups with 2 Pyrodex pellets and a Hornady 250 gr. SST. Go figure!

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 2ndwind, 204guy, 1minute, 38 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,353
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.