Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think it is a Ford vs Chevy moment. I have and appreciate both. I like the safety and open bottom of the Mossberg shotguns. The 870 shotguns are robust and well proven as well.

I have a Mossberg 835 that fits me well and has over 10k shells through it without issue. Pretty good value for the $200 I paid for it 20 years ago.

If I had started with the Remington instead of the Mossberg I may be slightly more biased on that side.

Semper Fi

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Tang safety on the Mossberg for the win. They are darn reliable shotguns too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
If you are open to a suggestion, I would take the Winchester SXP pump over both of those current two.
Why so ? The current Winchester SXP is made in Turkey and although I haven't examined one specifically I've not been overly impressed by Turkish imports in general.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The action on the SXP is crazy slick. I spent some time with one in the dove field a few years ago, and I shot very well with it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The action on the SXP is crazy slick. I spent some time with one in the dove field a few years ago, and I shot very well with it.

I had a old Winchester Model 120 Ranger a number of years ago and it shucked faster and slicker than any pump gun I've ever shot. I did not care for the location of the safety, though, so it's gone. If the SXP is anything like that 120 was, it is crazy slick indeed.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by battue
If you are open to a suggestion, I would take the Winchester SXP pump over both of those current two.
Why so ? The current Winchester SXP is made in Turkey and although I haven't examined one specifically I've not been overly impressed by Turkish imports in general.

Like you, most of the Turkey guns impress me little. However, the Winchester offerings I've seen are solid. Little doubt if I wanted a new pump shotgun, I would go with the Winchester.

Addition: Forgot to add that last week I handled and shot a Turkish SxS that was highly engraved and well done, with killer wood. It was extremely tight on opening and closing along with the triggers being excellent. Not sure of the maker, but I seem to remember the first letter being an L. Or perhaps that was the model. From all outside appearances it was what many would call a fine shotgun. I should cross paths with it again soon and will take a picture.

Last edited by battue; 09/28/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oakster
I wont own a Mossberg shotgun. I have had a few and am not a fan. I have had a model 500 that dropped all the shells out the bottom of the action when the slide was racked. I had a friend show up with a brand new model 500 and it did the same thing. Load it up, rack the slide and pick up all the rounds that fall out on the ground..

An important safety feature Remington does not offer wink

30 year retired LE guy here, 25 of that as a firearms instructor and armorer. I've seen a lot of issue pumps of both brands and both are excellent. I personally favor the Mossberg 500/590 for ease of maintenance, particularly extractors and ejectors.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...An important safety feature Remington does not offer "

LOL, good one. Possibly your adversary would see this stunt and ROFL, giving you time to cuff him.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
These day's I mostly shoot SxS's. But years ago it was Mossberg 500's. If they are better or worse than the /rem 870 I I couldn't say, Only ever had one 870 and never shot it. Gave it to my son. Wait had two. 870 Special Field. Great grouse gun but don't care for it for anything else. You want a nice pump, my mod 37 is about as nice as it get's, mine is an old 16ga.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In recent days I have been shooting a Mossberg Maverick 88, their low cost pump, and also shooting a Remington 870 Express. I've been shooting the same 3” slug ammo and the same 3” 00 buckshot in both. The single biggest perceived difference is that the Mossberg kicks me a lot harder than the Remington when shooting the same load and same choke tube. That's a sample of one, and could be stock design, shape of my bod, or something else. Both are brand new. The Remington trigger is a lighter pull with slightly less travel than the Mossberg, though both take some moving and neither is a light custom trigger with minimal movement.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.