24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The #4 reticles generally stand out more in low light, but be careful with Meopta as their #4 center lines are fairly thin. The outer lines are nice and bold, so you can bracket the target somewhat. I believe the VX-3i have an etched reticle (not sure on this - at least in terms of the duplex), which in my opinion seem to hold up in low light better, but I haven't used my 3i in hunting situations yet so can't comment on it.

If you can find a Conquest with a #4 reticle, that one as very bold and about perfect. I had one and swapped it this spring, and have regretted it ever since.

All that being said, to my eyes, my Meopros are brighter than my VX-3i.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mgw619
My eyes loose the last 10 minutes or legal light through this scope. More particularly my eyes loose the reticle in the background. Vx3 and a 3i both 3.5x10-40 with the duplex. Where would the next reasonable upgrade lead me to? Leupold and i like what ive been hearing about Meoptas. What do yall say?

I think a Meopta would be an upgrade for sure.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If budget is not a constraint, the S&B Polar series is supposed to be the be-all-end all in light gathering.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Vx-r would do it nicely.
Better glass in daylight, and the firedot in reduced light. You can dim that dot way down so it won't wash out the image or distract. Just a nice red dot that should turn into a nice blood trail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KenMi
Vx-r would do it nicely.
Better glass in daylight, and the firedot in reduced light. You can dim that dot way down so it won't wash out the image or distract. Just a nice red dot that should turn into a nice blood trail.

The VX-R glass is closer to the VX-2 than the VX-3i. The etched, lit reticle should be more visible at either end of daylight though.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeeper
My eyes loose the last 10 minutes or legal light through this scope. More particularly my eyes loose the reticle in the background. Vx3 and a 3i both 3.5x10-40 with the duplex. Where would the next reasonable upgrade lead me to? Leupold and i like what ive been hearing about Meoptas. What do yall say?

FYI, We have just worked a GREAT deal on some Meopta riflescopes that we will officially be announcing in a week or 2, however, as we are a part of this forum and do our most for all of you, if the Meopro series in 4.5-14x44, 4.5-14x50, 6.5-20x50 and their Illuminated 3.5-10x44 BDC2 is of interest please give us a call, 516-217-1000. You'll be glad that you did smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'd take dougs offer up and roll with that 4.5-14x50mm with a #4 or illum 4k ret personally. i do like the zeiss v4 3-12x56 with illum #60 ret though and can be had for a $650ish.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by jeeper

FYI, We have just worked a GREAT deal on some Meopta riflescopes that we will officially be announcing in a week or 2, however, as we are a part of this forum and do our most for all of you, if the Meopro series in 4.5-14x44, 4.5-14x50, 6.5-20x50 and their Illuminated 3.5-10x44 BDC2 is of interest please give us a call, 516-217-1000. You'll be glad that you did smile

I am afraid this call may be taking place soon. Bonus is coming.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The 4.5-14x44 HTR with BDC reticle is LEGIT. My favorite 1" tubed scope BY A LONG SHOT..............I've seen a few of them. Doug will hook you up!! And you wouldn't regret it.

I've done extensive shooting with that model of scope(I have over 1/2 dozen of them). They TRACK perfectly and the field of view/glass quality is OUT of it's price range..............by a LOT

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 603Country
You want a VX5 3-15, CDS, with firedot. The firedot has variable brightness and is perfect for low light and a dark target - like a black hog. It seems brighter than my VX3 scopes.

+1

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just buy the Fullfield with the #4 illuminated dot from Doug for like $250. I compared it to my same sized Vx3 with B and C and the brightness of the two were identical past dusk and before dawn in fairly thick environment.. Difference is the dot would carry you an extra few minutes for sure. I didn't want to believe it but don't think my eyes lie. Had an older buddy, about 63 year old next to me and he preferred the Burris.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Or just buy the Fullfield with the #4 illuminated dot from Doug for like $250. I compared it to my same sized Vx3 with B and C and the brightness of the two were identical past dusk and before dawn in fairly thick environment.. Difference is the dot would carry you an extra few minutes for sure. I didn't want to believe it but don't think my eyes lie. Had an older buddy, about 63 year old next to me and he preferred the Burris.

Is the dot brightness adjustable on these?

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
absolutely - 1- 10 and very convenient. In between each setting is "off" so you don't have to crank it to turn off. Also lowest and brightest are next to each other. The two you may likely use most. Lastly they use a common CR2032 battery -same as you might be using in your cap that has an LED- probably the most common of those little flat round battery. I tell you that reticle had me sold years ago when I found it in a cheap Mueller for a buddy. Later when Dad's eyes went we got him one and it allowed him to keep hunting. Burris didn't even list it on their site so I freaked out when I discovered Natchez had them for like $150. I told folks here about them and several Fire members bought them.
I would gladly spend the extra hundred for it. Very well worth it. Doug earns his business.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the clarity of the VX5 glass and it does very well in low light. In my opinion Leupold's Wide Duplex is not a good reticle for hunting when the light dims, so one is left depending on a battery. The 3-15 has better reticle choices then the 2-10 VX5. But neither scope offers as good a reticle as the Post-Duplex or Fire Dot #4 offered in the VX-R line.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Following back up on this. Past 2 nights did some side by side comparison here on the farm, at dusk.

First night compared a VXR 1.24x4 scope that I sent back to Leupold to have a Fire dot 4 (German #4) reticle installed, and, VX6 1-6 with what looks like a 4A reticle. Had a small deer walk out at 380-400 yards just as the sun went down over the horizon. While I like the thicker reticle wires of the VXR, I could make out the deer in a plowed field against wooded background for 5 to 7 minutes longer with the VX6. VX6 also had significantly wider FOV. Finally, VX6 fast focus ring turned much easier than the VXR. VX6 gets the nod. Will check to see if the Custom shop can install a thicker reticle in the VX6 when they are back in operation.

Second night compared a 10 year old VXR 4x12x40 with Fire Dot Duplex (Leupold #111238), with a new VX3i 4.5x14x40 Duplex (#170703). I really like the side Focus on the new 4.5x14. However, lost the reticle in the treetops at 420 yards about 7-8 minutes before I lost the tree tops with the VXR 4x12. VXR reticle was still visible, without illumination, long after I could discern what I was looking at. Was thinking to put the 4.5x14 on a rifle build for combination target shooting and hunting. However, given that the VXR is easier for me to get behind, and the thicker wires are easier on the old eyes, I think the older scope gets the nod, at least for my use case.

Kinda interesting the nuances you notice when you get the scopes out side by side to compare. So, for me, overall low light performance: VX3i < VXR < VX6. However, I like the subtension of the VXR reticles over both the VX3i and the VX6 reticles, given the limited samples I have on hand.

All visual comparisons done without illumination. Also, the VX6 1-6 is about 1.5" longer than the VXR 1-4 , so more latitude on eye box adjustment on a long action MRI Sako 691.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Would it make a difference to switch from a 40mm to a 50m objective?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
50MM's are supposed to gather more light. However, I have always stuck with 40mm objectives to keep the scope centerline low for better stock weld. JMO...

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Following back up on this. Past 2 nights did some side by side comparison here on the farm, at dusk.

First night compared a VXR 1.24x4 scope that I sent back to Leupold to have a Fire dot 4 (German #4) reticle installed, and, VX6 1-6 with what looks like a 4A reticle. Had a small deer walk out at 380-400 yards just as the sun went down over the horizon. While I like the thicker reticle wires of the VXR, I could make out the deer in a plowed field against wooded background for 5 to 7 minutes longer with the VX6. VX6 also had significantly wider FOV. Finally, VX6 fast focus ring turned much easier than the VXR. VX6 gets the nod. Will check to see if the Custom shop can install a thicker reticle in the VX6 when they are back in operation.

Second night compared a 10 year old VXR 4x12x40 with Fire Dot Duplex (Leupold #111238), with a new VX3i 4.5x14x40 Duplex (#170703). I really like the side Focus on the new 4.5x14. However, lost the reticle in the treetops at 420 yards about 7-8 minutes before I lost the tree tops with the VXR 4x12. VXR reticle was still visible, without illumination, long after I could discern what I was looking at. Was thinking to put the 4.5x14 on a rifle build for combination target shooting and hunting. However, given that the VXR is easier for me to get behind, and the thicker wires are easier on the old eyes, I think the older scope gets the nod, at least for my use case.

Kinda interesting the nuances you notice when you get the scopes out side by side to compare. So, for me, overall low light performance: VX3i < VXR < VX6. However, I like the subtension of the VXR reticles over both the VX3i and the VX6 reticles, given the limited samples I have on hand.

All visual comparisons done without illumination. Also, the VX6 1-6 is about 1.5" longer than the VXR 1-4 , so more latitude on eye box adjustment on a long action MRI Sako 691.

Interesting to hear you put the vxr over the vx3i. Curious if you have tested a vx3 next to a vx3i and notice a difference.

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 603Country
You want a VX5 3-15, CDS, with firedot. The firedot has variable brightness and is perfect for low light and a dark target - like a black hog. It seems brighter than my VX3 scopes.

I have a bunch of VX 3 scopes. The VX5 with fire dot is brighter. I have one one my piggie rifle.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Recently mounted a tract toric on my Montana and its a definite upgrade in every way

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10ring1, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.