-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting you bring up the emotional aspect of hunting and sentimental attachment. My Dad says the same thing. He recently bought a Husqvarna 30-06 in original condition. He mounted his 50+ year old Pecar scope on and took it deer hunting. He proclaims it as his new deer rifle.

The back story - he bought a Husqvarna 30-06 back in 1961 or 62 while he was stationed in Germany in the Army. He hunted it a few times in Europe and used it extensively in the US after he was discharged. One day in about 1972 or so, he shot some reloads of an aquaintance. Rifle didn't fair to well and blew apart into a bunch of pieces. I was about 8-9 at the time and was standing 10 feet or so from him when things went south. Neither of us received any major injuries but was a hard learned lesson. He'd always talked of finding another Husky of the same vintage and mounting his old Pecar on it. He did last summer and shot a dandy buck this past November with it. He's 76 today and we talk alot about our memories. We both know we have more years behind than in front. I've only asked for 2 things when he goes - his Husky and an old M700 in 30-06 he used in the interim years between the Husky and more recent vintage rifles.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The NULA 30-06 is the way to go!~ I Mirror the idea of going with a 24" barrel. My own Forbes 24 B (I got a good one) has a 24" stainless barrel and gets 3070 with 150 grain bullets, Just under 3000 with 165 grain bullets and 2820 with 180's. All under MOA. It's Bison legal here in the Yukon and under 7 pounds scoped. I since upgraded to a 1.5-8X Razor Scope with G4 reticle but this video extols the virtues of the concept. Balance of trajectory, moderate recoil and muzzle blast, good hitting power and great versatility. Also..no need for a cursed muzzle break and hearing loss. What's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOqouXUTBA

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
John,
In 1990 I bought a M722 in 257R from the widow of a gentleman I had known since I was young. It was his backup rifle and never hunted that his widow knew of. It was absolutely pristine with Balvar mounts and B&L scope from that era. I have taken it out and killed an elk with it a couple years after I bought it. It's one rifle I won't sell. And yes, it's a heavy sucker.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What happened to your Serengeti 7x57? I though you were all in on that for awhile as your do-it-all retirement gun.

Dakota, Dakota, Dakota,

You never ask such a question.
You ment well, and were curious.
But you never ask a guy about "The One",
If he hasn't mentioned it recently.

That's like running into a friend who has a date,
And mentioning the last woman you saw him with. blush grin

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/05/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My downsize pile currently consists of my 6mm Fieldcraft, my Browning Low Walls in .44 and .22 Hornet, and probably the 1948 FN .270, simply because I just can't seem to stay Mauser-less for long. This excludes rimfires, shotguns and MLs, of course.

The others will all stick until they don't, but the newest, a Henry kipplauf .308, just might make the keeper list if it continues to impress me.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I downside some years back, the last 12 years or so I been shooting all my big game with a Blaser R-93 7mm RM. It shoots very well, I just launch 150 gr Bullets at stuff and well never more that one shot unless I just miss, and I do from time to time. I also have a 6.5 x 55, a 7 x 57 and a 338 Winchester. out of some 70 rifles I had. I don't count the 300 WSM that I have, it's pretty much a closet queen. I originally planned on it being the one rifle I would shoot for the rest of my hunting life, it was a disappointment from the day I took it to the range almost 18 years ago. crooked chamber. I may rebarrel it to 270 WSM or not or trade it for a good Marlin 336 in 30-30 plenty for the local whitetails. CT these days is a little funny about guns and I don't want to play!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Been reducing for a while. Last two centerfire rifles will be a 700 KS in .270 and a 6.5x55 custom. Then a toss up between a .30-06 and .300H&H for my "heavy" rifle...

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I realized a couple years ago that i far enjoyed shooting and hunting with the rifles and shotguns that had significant emotional meaning to me...ie passed down from loved ones.

My shooting and hunting has never been better of more enjoyable.

GOD Bless America
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty cool replies here. I too have been selling off some firearms.

Keeping some with family ties, and also keeping those of most use for me. Two that I hunt with most often are my 25-06 & 30-06 Remington 700 CDL's. Each has a 6x, and they've been used to take most of the game I've shot over the past 15 years or so. I don't see parting with either of them.

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's another way to look at it: As mentioned earlier, I have quite a few centerfire rifles, and they also keep coming and going, to the point where Eileen has suggested replacing our front door with a revolving "rifle door."

A few years ago I did an article for RIFLE magazine called "The Rifles That Stuck," which included the 10 or 12 (can't remember which) that had been around more than a decade, minus heirlooms. Here's an updated list:

.375 H&H Whitworth Mauser. Bought this as a barreled action in 1991, and it has been customized considerably since, with a Gentry 3-position safety and NECG sights installed by D'Arcy Echols. It has two stocks, one synthetic and one custom walnut.

9.3x62 CZ 550. Purchased new in 2001, then restocked in fancy European walnut by Serengeti Rifles in 2008.

9.3x74R German side-by-side double, purchased used in 2002.

.338 Winchester Magnum, custom rifle built on FN Mauser commercial action and Bansner synthetic stock around 1990.

.300 Winchester Magnum Heym SR-21 bolt action, purchased from fellow gun writer Richard Mann in 2009. The most accurate .300 Winchester I've ever owned, including custom rifles.

.30-06 Ultra Light Arms Model 24, ordered in 1996. It just so happened that a gun shop in Germany had previously ordered two .30-06's to the exact specs I wanted, but could only sell one. As a result I ended up with the other, which unlike most has a red-stag proof stamp.

.308 Winchester, Merkel K-1 break-action single-shot, purchased new in 2005.

7x57 built by Serengeti Rifles in 2005 on a Montana 1999 action, with a custom black walnut stock.

6.5x55 on an FN Mauser action. Originally a .270 J.C. Higgins purchased from my stepfather-in-law. Restocked it myself in New Zealand walnut maybe 20 years ago, and after shooting out the .270 barrel had Charlie Sisk turn it into a 6.5x55.

7x57 built by Serengeti Rifles in 2007, with an American walnut stock on a Montana 1999 action.

.25-35 Winchester Model 1894 made in 1898, with a 26-inch octagon barrel. Purchased at Capital Sports & Western Wear in 2004.

.223/5.56 Bushmaster AR-15, purchased from Capital Sports in 2007.

.22 Hornet Ruger No. 1B, obtained directly from Ruger in 2003.

.204 Ruger 700, won in a drawing in 2008. Originally a VTR, after frying the original barrel I screwed on a brand-new take-off stainless 700 sporter-weight, and replaced the Tupperware stock with a CDL.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's another way to look at it: As mentioned earlier, I have quite a few centerfire rifles, and they also keep coming and going, to the point where Eileen has suggested replacing our front door with a revolving "rifle door."

A few years ago I did an article for RIFLE magazine called "The Rifles That Stuck," which included the 10 or 12 (can't remember which) that had been around more than a decade, minus heirlooms. Here's an updated list:

.375 H&H Whitworth Mauser. Bought this as a barreled action in 1991, and it has been customized considerably since, with a Gentry 3-position safety and NECG sights installed by D'Arcy Echols. It has two stocks, one synthetic and one custom walnut.

9.3x62 CZ 550. Purchased new in 2001, then restocked in fancy European walnut by Serengeti Rifles in 2008.

9.3x74R German side-by-side double, purchased used in 2002.

.338 Winchester Magnum, custom rifle built on FN Mauser commercial action and Bansner synthetic stock around 1990.

.300 Winchester Magnum Heym SR-21 bolt action, purchased from fellow gun writer Richard Mann in 2009. The most accurate .300 Winchester I've ever owned, including custom rifles.

.30-06 Ultra Light Arms Model 24, ordered in 1996. It just so happened that a gun shop in Germany had previously ordered two .30-06's to the exact specs I wanted, but could only sell one. As a result I ended up with the other, which unlike most has a red-stag proof stamp.

.308 Winchester, Merkel K-1 break-action single-shot, purchased new in 2005.

7x57 built by Serengeti Rifles in 2005 on a Montana 1999 action, with a custom black walnut stock.

6.5x55 on an FN Mauser action. Originally a .270 J.C. Higgins purchased from my stepfather-in-law. Restocked it myself in New Zealand walnut maybe 20 years ago, and after shooting out the .270 barrel had Charlie Sisk turn it into a 6.5x55.

7x57 built by Serengeti Rifles in 2007, with an American walnut stock on a Montana 1999 action.

.25-35 Winchester Model 1894 made in 1898, with a 26-inch octagon barrel. Purchased at Capital Sports & Western Wear in 2004.

.223/5.56 Bushmaster AR-15, purchased from Capital Sports in 2007.

.22 Hornet Ruger No. 1B, obtained directly from Ruger in 2003.

.204 Ruger 700, won in a drawing in 2008. Originally a VTR, after frying the original barrel I screwed on a brand-new take-off stainless 700 sporter-weight, and replaced the Tupperware stock with a CDL.

Thanks John. I'll take the 375.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Chet,

Well, you never know!

These days I often wonder if the .375 and 9.3x62 aren't too redundant....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the 7x57 and 6.5x55 may be the same. Let me know which one you decide to part with. Since you are downsizing and all. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, yes......most definitely redundant!

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I downside some years back, the last 12 years or so I been shooting all my big game with a Blaser R-93 7mm RM. It shoots very well, I just launch 150 gr Bullets at stuff and well never more that one shot unless I just miss, and I do from time to time. I also have a 6.5 x 55,.....

gm, it seems to me there are fewer of us who appreciate the 7 RM. Mine will be THE last
that I would choose to trip. I’ll be 70 before the end of this year so I’m still waiting to get old.
Since I don’t have enuff vermin to be concerned about a varmint Rifle my 2nd or back up
will be my 270 W. I can load it with 49grs of 4064 under 130s and get 2900 FPS.

My Swede shoots 49 grs of 4350 so that’s Tit for Tat.

As for sentimental rifles I have a 284 on a 98 action that a friend gave me. Shoots
good, kills deer with ‘aplomb’ (haha). It ain’t for sale. I have told my friend that he can
have it back anytime he wants it ..... Besides I always liked the 284 case.

I have M Six 270 that I inherited from my Dad.
My Son has my FIRST Six in 270 that I have killed more with it than the rest combined.

My M Six in 06 is in Memory of my Dad. His first rifle was a 760 in 06.

The others can be dividied to Sons & G kids.

So, NO I ain’t downsizing !

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/09/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like my 7RM, .308, 243, and new 6.5 crmr! They will never replace my 30-06! I take and carry all at different times! None fit and feel as good as my 30-06! I tried to like a .338 win mag, just didn't carry right for me!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't seem to downsize. I get attached to rifles and even though I may not fire them for a number of years I just can't get rid of them. They can sit up the back of the safe until I rediscover them. My .243 is a prime example. It was the first rifle I ever bought and I hunted with it for three or four years....until I discovered the .257 Roberts. Then it just sat in my safe. I don't think I fired it for 12 years. But last year I pulled it out and looked at it and thought I'd get it up and running again so I had it rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor. Now it sits in the front row of my safe and gets used again.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwall,
I have a totally unfounded biased opinion against the 7 mag. Have never owned one, and never will.

Way back, circa 1985? Was out deer hunting at with Dad and a neighbor at a ranch. Having a good deer camp. Then another hunter who had permission on the same property came over and started a conversation.

Conversation turned to guns and he immediately started spouting off about how his 7 mag was so much better than the 270's my Dad and I were using and the 6.5-06 my neighbor had.

Long story short, he was a cluster, wounded a couple deer. Asked for help tracking etc. While all three of us seemed to get our deer with no issues.

Since then, I always think of that experience when someone starts extolling the virtues. Certainly was not the cartridge, but the hunter. It has stuck with me. The way he stated the 7 mag was SO much better. grin confused crazy

As far as downsizing for me, I do not worry about it. I enjoy every rifle I own, if I don't, it will go down the road. If I find one I like, I buy it.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CRS -- I understand the background but IMO you should File 13 ---> sorry shooter.

Even tho I've killed deer at 12' (feet) and many other odd distances with a 7 RM

My longest shot kills have been with either 7mm RM or 300 WM.

OTOH, I have an 'irrational' affection FOR the 300 WM. I have NEVER needed the heavy bullet or energy but I've always liked the cartridge/case appearance.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CRS
jwall,
I have a totally unfounded biased opinion against the 7 mag. Have never owned one, and never will.

Way back, circa 1985? Was out deer hunting at with Dad and a neighbor at a ranch. Having a good deer camp. Then another hunter who had permission on the same property came over and started a conversation.

Conversation turned to guns and he immediately started spouting off about how his 7 mag was so much better than the 270's my Dad and I were using and the 6.5-06 my neighbor had.

Long story short, he was a cluster, wounded a couple deer. Asked for help tracking etc. While all three of us seemed to get our deer with no issues.

Since then, I always think of that experience when someone starts extolling the virtues. Certainly was not the cartridge, but the hunter. It has stuck with me. The way he stated the 7 mag was SO much better. grin confused crazy

As far as downsizing for me, I do not worry about it. I enjoy every rifle I own, if I don't, it will go down the road. If I find one I like, I buy it.

An old friend of mine hates pork and beans. Why? Because his older brother loved them, and he couldn't stand his brother.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.