Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have used TriTronics since day one. Current setup is an EXP running two dogs but its been on its last legs and I've gotten my money out of it. Anyway Lola's receiver came off someplace in the grass yesterday and I haven't been able to find it. I'll probably go back and look tonight but that will be about it.

I'll probably go back to TT but before I do, anyone bought a new collar setup lately and really liked it?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been a Tri-Tronics fan since my first one back in 1978. The last 5 collars have been Upland Specials, 2 first generation, two second generation, and one third generation. I lover them all except the last. That one has benn since Garmin took over Tri-Tronics. I do not care for it in the least.

To start, the receiver is the one part I like. Other than being smaller in size it is pretty much the same as the second generation. Push a button and it is ready to use. It also has a bark limiter which cMy only gripe is the collar itself is only 3/4" of an inch wide rather than 1" and the slots are incapable of taking the more common one inch size. I replace the collars to color code them. That way I know which collar goes with which transmitter setting , which collar has been used the most' and, ultimately, which collar is in need of service. It is not a major gripe but I did have to find sturdy 3/4" collars which was harder than planned as most collars that width are for Fifi.

The transmitter I detest. It does not have three levels of momentary and one continuous stimulation like the previous models. Instead, it has a number of presets with three options in each setting. The least useless has a low and high momentary setting with a single high continuous. The next most useful has a tone, vibrate, and beeper on/off setting. The other 3-4 presets are not used.

Garmin tried to put too much into the current collars from what I have seen. They went away from solid, basic training collars to fancy and complicated devices. Garmin should have kept their nose out of the training collar field.

The collar I like now is Dogtra's version of the Upland Special. The major difference is there is one button for continuous and one button for momentary. This does not allow for quick increase in stimulation but I can live with it. The Dogtra also has many more levels of stimulation and goes higher than TT. The one I have is over 10 years old and is in need of a rebuild. The current models are pretty similar. This is the brand I am likely switching over to as I go on.

I've used a couple of others but have not been impressed with them. The units have felt less solid to me though they have held up for buddies. They also tend to not have the features I want which ultimately is a deal breaker.

I suggest Dogtra at the moment, unless Garmin brings back a simpler upland trainer I will not be spending my money on one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can look at Gun Dog Supply website https://www.gundogsupply.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzuXqlMDp5AIVka_sCh1-BggiEAAYASAAEgLf9fD_BwE

or call them. Either way you can get a great deal of information from them. Might even be able to get a replacement collar for the one you just lost, if you cannot find it.

B
B
Dogtra 1900S. I've had a 1900 for 6.5 years. Bought new batteries about 3 years ago. The old ones weren't bad, I just changed them because I didn't want to wait for them to be bad when I needed it. I will probably buy another collar and just hang on to it until I need it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I suggest Dogtra at the moment, unless Garmin brings back a simpler upland trainer I will not be spending my money on one.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Strong Second on Dogtra collars. Pick of the litter since TT went into the crapper. Dogtra's last me 10 years or more!

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dogtra previous which was the basic buzz and shock for Flushers, took a beating and lasted 7 or 8 years. This last one was smaller, and by appearance not as well built. It took another beating, but gave up after 4 years.

I’ll buy another Dogtra, and it amazes me they can take as mush abuse as they do.

Last edited by battue; 10/04/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve been using Tritronics Flyway Specials for a long time and can be particularly resistant to change, especially when the change doesn’t seem to benefit me. When Garmin bought Tri-tronics, I sought out a rebuilt Flyway Special XLS for a backup. That proved to be wise, as the backup became the primary before to long. This summer we forgot the collar on an extended trip. I ended up buying, albeit reluctantly, a new Tritronics/Garmin Pro 550 at a store along the way. What a great collar system—I can’t believe I’d been putting this off all this time. The Pro 550 has better batteries, is smaller, lighter, and more feature filled. Even the build quality seems on par or better than the legacy stuff. Ironically, I also have a Dogtra from 7 or 8 years ago. I’m not sure if it still works or not, the charger cable was the first thing to fail. It too was purchased on a trip after forgetting the Tri-tronics at home. I purchased that one at Tractor Supply. It was a very marginal system. I haven’t used Dogtra’s recent stuff and I’m accustomed to Tri-Tronics interface (button position and function), which probably presents a significant bias against the Dogtra. Lastly, the Tri-Tronics Pro 550 is made in the USA, I don’t know if that’s important to you, but it’s a big plus for me.

I’d give the Pro 550 a try.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting, on the last unit, I’ve had two Dogta charger cables quit. Where the cable entered the wall plug-in it would break inside the cover.

Last edited by battue; 10/04/19.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I sure appreciate the info. Plenty of votes for Dogtra, and I did check them out. I ended up talking to to the folks at Collar Clinic and decided a new TT Pro70 set up was best for me. I don't care for the 3/4" straps but I do like the lights on the collars, esp for those nights when I'm gone and my wife/daughters are alone with the dogs. Easier for them to keep track of the dogs in the yard. Also, if the collar which was lost had lights on it, it would have been more likely to be found. They gave me 50 bucks trade in on my old setup as well.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just off the phone with Lion County Supply. After talking with them I went with the Pro 550. Great features with the tracking and light. They said if you are not satisfied, return it within 30 days. However, unless it goes down, that won’t happen.

Mentioned, I will be leaving for a hunt on Tuesday, and the guy said it will be at your door at best on Saturday and the latest on Monday. Express shipping and no charge.

Every time I have dealt with Lion Country it has always been a positive experience.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Battue, You'll love it. Good luck on your hunt!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,

It arrived Saturday, but something is wrong with the charger. Hook up either the collar or the transmitter and it is not sending the juice. Seems like a great unit and will get it replaced, but will have to pick up something at Cabela’s on the way up.

Always something. 😃

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've used Collar Clinic for rebuilds and Gun Dog Supply for parts with a lot of satisfaction. The second generation units I had had one transmitter not take a charge and one receiver the same. I replaced the batteries in both units and had the receiver start working but the transmitter is still inoperative.

That started my dissatisfaction with TT and was sealed with the Garmin unit. I would probably go with Sportdog over TT these days.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.