Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is where I’ve been looking for elk. It’s a high grassy plain, about 30 miles east of Yellowstone overlooking Wapiti Valley. Sage brush and prickly pear country, what I usually think of as pronghorn country. Down in the nearby valley there are big alfalfa fields on private land and I’ve seen a big elk heard on one of them.

The other day I met a game warden at the trailhead. He mentioned he had seen a grizzly in the area that morning. Surprised me but didn’t think much of it then. I know they roam a lot and figured he was just passing through. But apparently he’s hanging around. This morning I was standing atop a ridge looking down at the wooded creek bank below me, trying to decide if there might be elk hanging out in it (I had been seeing fresh sign). Then the bear breaks out of the creek bed and starts running up the next ridge away from me, like he had smelled me but I had a strong wind in my face, so that’s another mystery. He was probably 400 yards away when I saw him. I watched him through my scope. A no-doubt grizzly with a big hump above and a blond band across the shoulders.

I just moved to Cody and this makes me realize there’s a lot I need to learn about these animals. I would not have guessed that to be good grizzly habitat. You guys who know about these things - what do you think he eats? It doesn’t seem like he’s just waiting for a dinner bell. I don’t think the area is very heavily hunted. I was the only one out there this morning. Just a few miles west is thick timber and numerous trout streams, where I figured he would be. Why would he be attracted to this scrubby area?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They can be anywhere and everywhere! They’re quite mobile, and aren’t real timid! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grizzlies are plains animals. They would lurk the river bottoms and brush where the water is, and the prey. And berries, and fish. Lewis and Clark found them to be super aggressive, not scared at all. Then came gunpowder, right? And people.

Eventually, bears only had dense forests or otherwise remote country as a place to operate. THe ESA listings imposed a bunch of restrictions (actually, not hunting them would have worked all by iteslf) on humans in "bear habitat" and now the bears (the sows, anyway, have filled the montane habitat and now the "excess" is squirting back into open country.

Bears have great hearing and bloodhound class noses. 10,000 better sniffer than us, so if there was a whirl to the wind in the coulee, it smelled you almost for sure, even 400 yards away.

This time of year, they are trying to pack in the calories for sack time. If they're behind schedule, their bodies respond and they get hangrier than usual, which is already pretty much a bad attitude. And if your bear has heard BANG and then found a yummy stinky gutpile soon after, that's a dinner bell bear.

Your quandary is, grizzlies react badly to being surprised. But hunting is mostly about surprising whatever you're hunting.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Last summer there was a grizzly hanging out by the dairy queen, or so I was told.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There was an article in the news about a year ago talking about a grizzly bear eating the apples from trees within the Cody city limits. Seems like you're in griz country for sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As I said, just before I saw him I had been considering going down to that creek bed and trying to scare up an elk. Good thing he smelled me.

Since I’ve moved to Cody I’ve already heard of two people losing elk to grizzlies. In one case it was just a hindquarter. In the other it was the entire carcass.

Elk hunting is hard enough without this complication.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by McInnis

Elk hunting is hard enough without this complication.

Welcome to Wyoming!! grin

Where do grizzly bears live? Anywhere they feel like it. Always be prepared with big ol' bear spray, stay alert to your surroundings.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grizzlys love thick overgrown creek bottoms....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Food, water, shelter, space. What's not to like?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They lived in SoCal, NorCal, and the Central Valley historically, so jnyork is right, anywhere they want the will live.

They'll eat anything and everything I'd guess. They're bears.

Good luck with the rest of your hunt.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's a certain "romantic" feeling to hunting in places where you can become the hunted. It'll keep you feeling five cups of coffee alive.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dassa
Last summer there was a grizzly hanging out by the dairy queen, or so I was told.

Yep! But, he filed a “ discrimination suit” because they refused to serve him! grin Actually, there is a pretty deep ravine behind the Dairy Queen....I believe it frequented the drainage pretty often. If I am not incorrect, theWyoming G&F had to destroy a sow and two cubs, that were hanging around a corn maze at Halloween....I guess they were hurting business! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In just about all of Park county you could run into a grizzly. But especially anywhere west of Cody or Meeteetse should be considered prime grizzly country. And this time of year they are looking for meat or camps, cabins, farms, ranches or even in town places to raid.

There have been bears east of those places too more than once so don’t let your guard down.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/06/19.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dassa

Did he order the low-fat DQ ice cream??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
Food, water, shelter, space. What's not to like?

This. Grizzlies are generalists as long as most of the boxes are ticked they'll survive wherever it is. Anywhere's from sea level rainforest jungle to the alpine and everything in between. Sure most of them will be in more lush areas but not all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at their known habitat in the 1800s.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from prd-wret.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com]

Last edited by Goosey; 10/06/19.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The Shoshone river bottom is full of them all the way past Powell. A few deer left and Russian olives feed them. Oh and one killed a horse a week ago the Cody side of Powell. Be sure and don’t kill one in self defense, they’re friggin endangered.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I appreciate all the replies, but I’m still curious about what they eat in sagebrush country. I guess I could see them feeding on young elk calves in the spring, but this time of the year? I’ve seen black bear feeding on succulent grasses and skunk cabbages but there’s nothing like that here.

??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They wouldn't stop at elk calves they'll eat adults. Is there range cattle in the area?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you mention prickly pear earlier? If so, and they're like black bear in AZ, they'll get into those for the fruit.

Got ground squirrels/marmots? Yep.

Fish in the creeks? Yep.

Deer and the antelope play there? Yep.

If there's a bear around you can pretty much guarantee there's food in the area of some sort, or it would leave to go find some.

Again, good luck on your hunt.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.