Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Badger rd in 1971. Partied with friends there. His and 3 neighbors had the mercury type thermometer. The ball at the bottom of 80 below was where all the mercury was. At the same time on Chena Hot Springs rd. It was only 60 below. Other areas around Fairbanks were a lot warmer also. Ed k

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My first winter in Alaska - 68/69 in Fairbanks - the first two weeks of January averaged 53 below, never getting higher than -42, I think, nights dipping into the -60s. It warmed up to -35 one day at the end and started snowing, or at least ice crystals fell.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent the same winter in Anchorage at Elmendorf AFB. Brisk for sure for a country boy from Alabama.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Huge at monthly average, July 65. Degrees. Lowest monthly average January is -7 degrees. Most average precipitation January 8.3 inches. Air quality 26 percent better than national average. Pollution index is 14% better than national average! That said I observed -54 degrees in North Pole Alaske! That's not far from Eielson.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I think the coldest I've been in was January 2000. It was -67 F according to the AWOS at the Tanana airport. Which wasn't such a big deal in itself, but the cold snap that brought it lasted for about 3 weeks eventually starting to overpower heating systems that weren't burning wood.

I remember that cold snap well, the temp at Freddies on Airport way in Fbks was showing -65*. I think that reading was accurate.
Ungodly cold.
During that snap I met a fella walking down the street with his wife. He was in a windbreaker and ball cap, she was parka'd out. I had to stop and ask him how he dealt with the cold so woefully under-dressed, he explained that he was full blooded Eskimo and it simply didn't bother him. His wife was from the lower 48 and like the rest of us needed max cold weather gear.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived in North Pole/Eielson from 95-99 and then again between 2002 and 2010 with a few stints living in Delta Junction. It’s true that the temps fluctuate a bunch just a few miles this way or that way in the interior. Some low spots are always colder, I could leave North Pole at 5 am to go to work in Delta and it might be 45 below and I would hit spots along the Richardson where my windshield would start frosting up and I could feel the heat not feeling as warm and look at the outside temp gauge in the truck and it would rear error and then a few miles latter suddenly go back to reading -48 and the windshield would start thawing again. North Pole had some holes like on Plack Road where it could easily be 15 deg colder than in town. I’ve heard stories and testimonials too many time to count where sub -70 was reported in different parts of the interior but I don’t think most people even had accurate enough thermometers to know for sure. I can attest to it being a cold son of a bitch anytime it got below -50 it didn’t matter anymore!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was at B Battery (Site Summit) on the hill outside of Anchorage/Ft. Richardson. On a still night with no wind we could get a temperature inversion and it would actually be warmer at 4000 feet than down in Anchorage. The problem is we had very few nights where we had no wind. -35 was common. -40 every so often. With the wind chill factor we could go -75 pretty easy. (December 31, 1974) We did not get as cold as the interior in a head to head low but we could beat the snot out of a wind chill factor 2000 feet above the tree line. That really sucked if it was your night to walk around a missile section.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We had a rookie sign in to our office at Eielson in January. About a week after he arrived it hit -55F. We convinced him to walk outside with a hot cup of coffee and toss it in the air. Kapoof, the coffee disappeared. Fun trick.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Butch, I got internet access finally last week, but now to access any AF Weather sites you have to have accounts. Since I am no longer in the weather career field, I can't get access now. Sorry about that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hudge
Butch, I got internet access finally last week, but now to access any AF Weather sites you have to have accounts. Since I am no longer in the weather career field, I can't get access now. Sorry about that.

My favorite cousin was weather in the Air Force, did the civilian thing on ship for several years and then retired from the weather service in Oklahoma City.
A great job for him.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.