Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I plan to bring a motor home up and then sell once there. I think i should be able to get out of it what I pay originally, sans the fuel to get from SD to Fbx.

Unless you get hosed on the motorhome down there, ime you should turn a tidy profit

Is the room for profit really that great?? I’ve got a 2018 43.5’ fifth wheel down in Texas with my pickup truck. I have to drive my pickup back, regardless. Was considering bringing the camper but had decided to just try to offload it down there for cheap so I don’t have to trailer it 4,500 miles. But, if there’s money to be made, I’ll bring it along...

Consider the value added to your trip and it is a no-brainer. Bring it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Perhaps. But it’s going to be a death run. Short timeline so a buddy and I are going to tag team it to get it done as quickly as possible. Not sure a camper adds much more than a headache, in that scenario, so I want to make sure the end justifies the means.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 10/01/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by kid0917
you might get hassled by Canada customs; IME....they always seem frightened to death that someone will collapse their economy by bringing something in and (gulp!) selling it!! in their country.

Do you think it's different going from Canada to the US?

It’s worse....

as a US citizen its always been a MUCH larger PITA to get back into the US. I have NEVER understood that.
Only once did we have a tiny issue at the Canada border and the fault was ours... long story there as we followed folks off the ferry and early in the AM and I suppose never realized we were NOT supposed to be sitting at the Canada entry that early in the AM... it was ok though.

I suppose the farther north you go the harder the entry to the US is.

There could be a good reason its liek that farther north.... though the worst I've had has alwasy been the lower 48 line. But I suspect I may never cross that line again.

The last trip crossing in there below TOK they had a long discussion about how much money we had on us.. and then again with my wife who was sitting next to me during the whole conversation. And then back to me again. Jeez. An old powerstroke, old camper and old airboat in tow and the fact I had around 5K just in case plus credit cards seemed to bother the good ol USA boys...
They seemed to think we were carrying lots more cash... lmao

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd take a look around on Craigslist and maybe call anyone that deals in used travel trailers and get an idea of its market value.

There are times when the difference between here and L48 are significant. Like 40-50% significant.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Where is he starting? If anywhere near an Amish sawmill or two he could bring up a trailer load of hardwood lumber... keep it rough so the planed surfaces won't get beat up.

Sell ahead of time on Craigslist or Alaska list...

I wonder if you can get raw lumber across the border easily.

Tree bugs and such.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Drift Boat oars shipping costs can cost as much as the oars.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I never had a problem bringing rough sawn lumber up to my camp in Ontario when I lived in Michigan. I did have to pay duty crossing the boarder since the wood was staying there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
I never had a problem bringing rough sawn lumber up to my camp in Ontario when I lived in Michigan. I did have to pay duty crossing the boarder since the wood was staying there.

Would probably be a good idea to pass on ash lumber though we have no ash trees in AK...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snowmachines, the more the better....

They are dirt cheap here compared to Alaska.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP's opportunity may have passed but I'm just gonna add my 2 cents worth here for future reference..

Had a friend that hauled top quality drift boats up from the lower 48 every trip, he did well with selling them.

But on the UHMW thing....

UHMW of every possible dimension and thickness in sheets as well as square stock (2x4, 2x6 etc) gets tossed and trashed by seafood processors every year due to scratches.
The sheet goods (1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1 inch thick...every conceivable dimension up to 5'x10's) is used in fish processing for butch tables, inspection tables, etc. Once it gets scratched up a bit it has to be replaced due to being deemed "no longer cleanable" by health inspectors, quality control etc. Some times they can get by with flipping it over but that just puts the non-cleanable side outta sight but still present so it's not really commonly done. I've seen it replaced on species change, like switching from doing Pinks in the SE to the Pollock season kickin in and they didn't use the same UHMW for multiple species.
This UHMW is in perfect condition for 99% of most uses but no longer considered sanitary.

If you have a connection with a processing facility or could develop one, you'd be into a gravy haul of UHMW for whatever it cost you to get it to where you need it.

I was on a ship anchored 1/4 mile off shore at Juneau one night doing some generator work when they loaded a burn basket large enough you could have easily set 2 pick-up trucks in, full of various sized pieces of UHMW.
There must of been 6 full sheets along with 30 or 40 pieces ripped down to 3' and 4' x 6' to 10' sizes.

They swung it over the side with a crane and set it on fire and burned all of it.
They had last been processing Pollock and were in Juneau to run Chums and strip roe, they told me they just didn't use the same UHMW with different species and had replaced everything in their plant for the change over.

I wanted to cry....

Around all the Salmon facilities in Bristol Bay it's hauled to the local landfill, I'd assume the same for the shore based SE processors.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Now, that is good information to have...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Found some at $4.90 a foot

kk alaska

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cut price? Didn’t have to buy a stick?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife picked it up in town for me, only wanted 5 ft thinking a stick 20ft would have been around $25.

kk alaska

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tarkio: Beer!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wife picked up 5 ft of 2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe at Central plumbing in Anchorage receipt said $4.90 a ft
$ 24.50. Called them today and asked them if I could pick up the rest of the stick sold in 20 ft lengths thinking I was charged for a 20 ft length

Central said its $4.90 a foot and stick price is $98 for 20 ft. Wow !!!

Called Ferguson,s around $25 a stick, looks like Central sticks it to you!

So Schedule 80 PVC might be worth bringing up!

kk alaska

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mighty proud of it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Buddy got bucked off his wheeler the other day. Not sure now he is going to make this run.

See ow his surgery goes.

Montana MOFO
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.