Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ventured into the 10mm this summer. I wanted a higher capacity woods carry gun than my single action, 5 shot Rugers (45 colt, 480 Ruger). I bought a ROCK island Rock series 10mm with a 5" barrel. I ran several hundred 'standard' rounds through it. I bought some Underwood 220 hard cast, supposedly running 1200 ft/sec.

I was wondering how much recoil these had. Reading reviews on line I was expecting something 44 mag-ish. I think they are more 44 special-ish in the recoil department. I ran a couple over my chrono and they clocked 1184 and 1180 10 feet from the barrel. They were also fairly accurate. Put 3 in a 2" bullseye from 30 feet. I figured this is the max distance I'd be encountering anything that need persuaded be it 2 or 4 legged.

I'd bet the 220 hard cast would work on deer quite well. I have several doe tags this year and could get one within 25 yards pretty easily. Might try that.

All told, I really like the 10mm. Recoil isnt as bad as some make it out to be. Far less than my current loads in my 45 colt (300 gr hard cast) or 480 (375/400 gr hard cast). 1200 ft/sec with a 220 grain hard cast is pretty potent. I can put 1, some times 2, more 9mm on target than the 10mm but really like bigger, fatter slugs. I find the 1911 platform a pleasant surprise as well. I like the combo - alot. I might need to investigate a shorter barrel 10. Just because. wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock on.

Life is too short just to play with one caliber and one platform, keep the economy spinning....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 10mm's legendary recoil is just that...…………….legend.

My constant companion is a G29. My wife and kids enjoy shooting it as much as I do.

There's whiners, wussies and girlie men everywhere.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This matches my experience with my G20 and G29. Also with the smaller CCW 9mm's, like the Kahr CM9 and the G26. They just don't seem to recoil like everyone claims they do. Maybe it's a function of being semi auto and spreading out the recoil impulse or something. Or maybe it's all the years of shooting 44 mags and 45 Colts loaded to the hilt, has just numbed my hands.....

Regards,

Tom
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On the Outdoor Channel, Razor Dobbs used his 10mm Kimber auto to take three different cape buffalo in two different episodes. He used Buffalo Bore ammo and a 220 grain bullet, according to the tv show. They showed bullet recovery from the cape buffalo at just under the skin on the off side.

This much I know for sure and certain. My 40-65 Sharps, shooting a 250 grain flatnosed Lyman bullet over 58 grains of 2f blackpowder will shoot all the way through a 5 inch diameter sweet gum tree at 50 yards, and a deer or hog won't hold the bullet to 200 yards. That is also a 10mm bullet. I would say you are in good shape with your gun/load combination.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 10/06/19. Reason: spelling error
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have used a lot of different 10mms pistols and revolvers on deer and pigs with everything from 175 gr Silvertips to DoubleTaps 200 and 220 gr hard cast loads. They all work but the 200 gr DoubleTapbloads have proved to be the most accurate and will go through both shoulders and anchor a deer on the spot

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted Nugent used a 10mm to down a Cape Buffalo he wounded with archery gear. He thought the buffalo was down but as he walked up on it the bull got up and began to swing toward him. Nugent shot it several times and killed it. Remember the snowmobile incident where the moose was on the trail and the snowmobile crowded it? The moose began to stomp the idiot snowmobile operator and the guy shot the moose off him with a 10mm. As far as I know the 10mm is the best combination of easily controlled power that is readily available in factory semi auto handguns and ammunition.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After also hearing all the hype re: the 10mm, I was pretty surprised at the non-abusive recoil of my Glock 40 10mm.

It's pretty much a pussycat compared to shooting some of my .45 Colt revolvers with stout loads.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The ten is a great caliber. It is better then a .357, .40 and an ACP. But like every gun it is bullet choice.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going on three years with the 10mm and it is a great round. Can't say I care for the G20 or 29 but the 40 is a great gun...

Have three 1911s, a 6" PARA Elite LS Hunter (that is now the Remington Hunter), Kimber Stainless Target II and a RIA Combat Commander size gun...can't recall what model it is. The RIA was half the price of the other two and shoots just as well. ZERO failure to cycle and very accurate. Trigger pull out out of the box is 4# 10 oz. and weighs 39.3 oz.... Great adjustable rear sight and FO front...

I've settled on two weights ranges...155/165 jacketed/cast and 200 hardcast. If I can't get it done with that I'l go to a .41 Magnum with heavies...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt
After also hearing all the hype re: the 10mm, I was pretty surprised at the non-abusive recoil of my Glock 40 10mm.

It's pretty much a pussycat compared to shooting some of my .45 Colt revolvers with stout loads.

To me, the Glock handles recoil better than the metal framed guns. I remember a Colt Delta 10 mm having a stout kick. My Glock 40 seems more pleasant to shoot than that Colt. It holds more rounds, too.

The Colt trigger is better, but I'm getting used to the Glock, had a trigger job which helps some. Nothing will make the Glock trigger anywhere as good as the Colt. Overall, I'll stick with the Glock. Mine has 7" KKM barrel and RMR with Trijicon suppressor sights, tall enough to co-witness the RMR. I find it faster finding the red dot.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DF, I Like that.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sweet Jesus Vic, you have helped me with 45 Super in Gods pistol and now you like a Block???
I am shocked and dismayed 😩

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the changes, very business-like.

I would have to put a hammer on it, though..... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve yet to catch a bullet from the Buffalo Bore 220 gr Hard Cast Factory Load in any deer or feral hogs here at the Ranch. I’ve used it in my Glock 20 and Kimber 1911 quite a bit and it’s a deer & hog killing SOB.

I usually carry the Glock 20 loaded with 16 rounds of that load when bow hunting the Lower 48 where bears are known to hang out. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info on the deer killing capability of the hard cast launched from a 10mm.

I dont see many short barrel 10mm, other than the EAA. Must be a slide velocity thing.

How accurate are your 10mms? I didnt shoot the 220s past 10 yards but think I could keep them in a 4" circle out to 25-30 yards. In my hands I doubt it's a 50 yard gun.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My 10mm Colt Delta is Great!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is of great interest to me. For about the last 20 years I've spent a week elk hunting in northwest Wy (Yellowstone area) each fall and often spend another week in the summer just riding the trails. The running count of grizzly sightings is 47 with probably another 20 or so black bears (don't keep track of those). I've never had a bad experience with the bears but I try to be very careful. My sidearm has been a single action 44 mag. I'm seriously thinking of going with a 10mm - probably a Glock 20. I'd like to hear opinions and experiences regarding bullet choices. Is the 220 gr hard cast Buffalo Bore the way to go? Is there a good jacketed bullet that should be considered?

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by saddlering
My 10mm Colt Delta is Great!

You're right, it is great, as are the 1911 clones. I like some of the high end clones better than the Colt, have both, although not in 10mm.

The Glock isn't pretty, but the Gen 4 with a smaller grip, handles pretty well and IME, has less perceived recoil than the 1911 pattern guns. And Glocks hold more rounds.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by local_dirt

To me, the Glock handles recoil better than the metal framed guns. I remember a Colt Delta 10 mm having a stout kick. My Glock 40 seems more pleasant to shoot than that Colt. It holds more rounds, too.

The Colt trigger is better, but I'm getting used to the Glock, had a trigger job which helps some. Nothing will make the Glock trigger anywhere as good as the Colt. Overall, I'll stick with the Glock. Mine has 7" KKM barrel and RMR with Trijicon suppressor sights, tall enough to co-witness the RMR. I find it faster finding the red dot.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hmmm...And here I thought you had gone the Sig route.

Maybe a different regular poster.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
285 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.