-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have had mine since I worked in a Packing Plant when I was younger. A knife resistance glove for Quartering and caping a head. It’s just to easy to cut your self in the back country on a wet hill side or just tired, etc.ect.
Just Google them or at Amazon cost around $10 search Knife Proof Glove
You just need one for the hand not holding the knife. Be Safe and Good Hunting.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good idea. I'm a big fan of rubber gloves. Makes clean up much easier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caping is something that the taxidermist does, not me. I am extra careful gutting something out in the field ever since I ordered one of those custom Chris Reeve folders and just touched myself with it and became a buck blood brother. I didn't know what hunting knife sharp was until I got that knife. I saw a gusher once in the packing house when a guy got cut above the glove from the guy next to him. I never want to see that again. One of those Kevlar mesh gloves sure wouldn't take up much room in a guy's pack. Good idea.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good addition to have. Use one all the time when filleting salmon and 'eyes

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I field dressed a pronghorn antelope yesterday and I knicked my thumb. Just a tiny thing, but I dissinfected it and bandaged it just to be sure. Don't want to get infected. I've knicked myself many times. But I still don't use gloves. I have enough trouble with dexterity as it is. I have tried using gloves and they just make it worse.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
Caping is something that the taxidermist does, not me. I am extra careful gutting something out in the field ever since I ordered one of those custom Chris Reeve folders and just touched myself with it and became a buck blood brother. I didn't know what hunting knife sharp was until I got that knife. I saw a gusher once in the packing house when a guy got cut above the glove from the guy next to him. I never want to see that again. One of those Kevlar mesh gloves sure wouldn't take up much room in a guy's pack. Good idea.

Chris Reeve makes a nice looking knife, but that is about as far as it goes. Sharp is sharp, edge geometry and RC is what makes a sharp knife cut and retain an edge. None of which a Chris Reeve's has. Though they are pretty!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It appears, at least with many hunters, that 'they're' going to need to put a pocket dictionary right 'there' in that pocket... in 'their' pack.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its a gamble that you're pocket dictionary idea will be used to any noticeable affect.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Their is know way of nowing what their going to knead.

I'd rather have a bottle of water and a couple blue shop towels to clean up than a rubber glove 90% of the time. On bears, it is occasionally handy to have a pair of the thick 8 mil rubber gloves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
Their is know way of nowing what their going to knead.

I'd rather have a bottle of water and a couple blue shop towels to clean up than a rubber glove 90% of the time. On bears, it is occasionally handy to have a pair of the thick 8 mil rubber gloves.

You should consider packing a dictionary.

Last edited by kingston; 10/08/19. Reason: I see Ingwe has already beat me to it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably should pack some gloves, but I seem to have a better sense of touch, get a better grip, and a bit more dexterity going at it bare handed.

Usually work with smaller knives than most folks, but sharp is sharp regardless of size.

One of my hobbies is flint knapping and obsidian is my material of choice. That stuff cuts so clean that blood has a difficult time clotting on a smooth surface. Tiny nicks can bleed for 20 minutes before sealing. Those cuts though heal in about 24 hours.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have used vinyl/latex gloves for a long time now. The amount of borrelia in a deer's blood can be pretty significant. Latex inside kevlar is not at all a bad idea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MILES58
I have used vinyl/latex gloves for a long time now. The amount of borrelia in a deer's blood can be pretty significant. Latex inside kevlar is not at all a bad idea.

Gloves are a good idea.

Although uncommon, Deer Parapoxvirus, Echinococcosis varieties, Cryptosporidiosis and E. Coli from deer that graze in cow pastures can be transmitted by contact with the fluids and blood. Contact with the deer's feces is potentially dangerous for many pathogens. Contact with the deer urine is also a potential transmission of Leptospirosis.

While unlikely, there are many other infections that can expose someone in contact with game meat.

Infection with borrellia by contact with blood...highly unlikely if at all, unless transmitted by a tick/insect bite.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snicker bar.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe a lot of hunters make a serious mistake by carrying a knife than is way to big (blade to long), particularly deer hunters.
Then there are the guys that carry dull knives.
Then there are the guys that carry poor quality knives that won't hold an edge through 1 deer.
Secondly, some of us are minimalists and do not carry packs. Much of my hunting is close quarters, so I don't carry anything likely to make noise like water bottles & candy wrappers.
I admit to getting through life with fewer brains cells than many of you.
I can handle only a short list: rifle, some bullets, license, knife and a hanky. Any more than this and I am likely to forget one of the important things.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Good idea. I'm a big fan of rubber gloves. Makes clean up much easier.
I use Playtex Handsaver gloves. They're fairly tough and reusable, high cuffs, and they come in XL. Most brands of rubber gloves are too small for me to get on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.