Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just spent the WE on the Big Susitna nothing but wet wood mostly wet Cottonwood. Took along a bag of instalight briquets used them to dry the wet wood and produce heat. Found some coal to keep the fire going. The Big Susitna changes levels on a daily basis in the summer all the wood is wet and not much Spruce. Rootballs had a little dry wood near the top.

A good trick to know is take a empty beer or pop can and fill it half way with gas. Lay it on its side with lid opening facing up then stack your wet wood TP fashion.

Light it, will burn for about 20 minutes drying your wet wood, can acts like a stove. Usually wood will dry enough to produce some heat.

May save your life in a remote coastal location, wet wood no heat can usually find a beer can and a washed up kicker can of fuel. Also great for starting a burn pile, and a lot safer than trying fuel of a fire!

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/25/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I carry a bic lighter(several), and wetfire tinder. And a ferro rod. And a JetBoil.

A small flare would be handy. Used to carry a big one, but they are too much for backpacking.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Tell a Redhead to "Calm Down"..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's funny right there Sage.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dryer lint in wax, cotton balls with vaseline and a lightening strike starter by a guy named Darrell Holland.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every Fishing lodge I have been to in Canada, the Fishing Guides use a Propane torch when it’s raining and wet for shore lunch.
If I was backpacking I would just use my canister backpacking micro stove, as it’s much smaller and lighter.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by KC
They gotta have road flares in Sweden.

KC

Yep we do -- I've got three full-sized flares in my car.

However, I've not found any flares small enough that I'd consider them for backpacking -- still looking though! smile

John

Jpb don’t you have a lot of white birch trees there? The bark burns like gasoline.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by KC
They gotta have road flares in Sweden.

KC

Yep we do -- I've got three full-sized flares in my car.

However, I've not found any flares small enough that I'd consider them for backpacking -- still looking though! smile

John

Cut to the length you want and seal in wax.

Bicycle inner tube burns easy, hot, and long.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Simple Boy Scout stuff here....

best suggestions... Dryer lint in zip lock, with wax soaked if you can think ahead.

Cotton balls in Vasoline or soaked in wax, zip lock bag...

for the no mess around stuff camping in wet winter time Oregon, we have always used the road flare method..
but I introduced the troop, to Red Dye Diesel in a Windex Spray bottle or something of that sort..
for myself I purchased a Zepco Commercial Spray bottle for like $3.00 many moons ago....half to 3/4 of roll of toilet paper soaked in diesel and then let it dry... brought along in an old metal coffee can or #10 can from fruit, vegetables etc...with it ventilated a bit..
say like with a 22 etc...

dry kindling is never a bag idea either....a lighter is fine, but you can also spark a 9 Volt battery...

look up a Scout Merit Badge book which you can read on line for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge...

its easy enough to print out the parts you may need for reference.. or you can get one new for about $5.00, with a lot of good tips like that in there...

Red Cross offers a course in this stuff for like $450.00, which essentially uses that Merit Badge Book and Wilderness First Aid..

They can be referenced at USScouts.com

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
“half to 3/4 of roll of toilet paper soaked in diesel and then let it dry... brought along in an old metal coffee can or #10 can from fruit, vegetables etc...with it ventilated a bit.."

Look up hobo stove. Same thing. Just a giant wick.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Trioxane tabs and storm proof matches

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Highway flare is the best- saved my bacon a few times. What I carry mostly now is 2 or 3 Bic lighters and a ziplock back full of airplane innertube cut into triangles with sharp point on at least one end so they are easy to light. A 3" piece will burn 5 minutes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My secret weapon is Purel hand sanitizer. I use a wood stove and that stuff is like napalm. I also use the fire sticks but the purel lights everything up. and it is also useful for sanitary purposes.

Patrick

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from mec.imgix.net]

Purel+P

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Trioxane tabs and storm proof matches

dear god YES!!!! I hear some of the crap mentioned in this thread. its clear many people haven't used these. They weigh nothing, the milsurp ones I use come in a wrapper that looks about like a condom wrapper. but are lighter and a bit smaller. They used to sell them in 3 pack boxes for .99 each. but now I think they want 3 bucks a piece for a box. still a great deal. I keep them in my truck. since I don't want to dink around its my go to.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always have a bic or Clipper lighter in my pocket. I carry a ferro rod and some cotton balls with a dab of vaseline inside; in my pack.

I carry the cotton balls in a small 2oz wide mouth Nagene container (no mess)

Last edited by MarkG; 10/23/19.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska

A good trick to know is take a empty beer or pop can and fill it half way with gas. Lay it on its side with lid opening facing up then stack your wet wood TP fashion.

Light it, will burn for about 20 minutes drying your wet wood, can acts like a stove. Usually wood will dry enough to produce some heat.

May save your life in a remote coastal location, wet wood no heat can usually find a beer can and a washed up kicker can of fuel. Also great for starting a burn pile, and a lot safer than trying fuel of a fire!

I wish I had known this trick when I was guiding near there. I almost used up all the boats gas tank starting fires in the rain a couple of times. It would also have saved a lot of singed arm hair too. This trick has worked even on a wet beach with wet fuel.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Love Trioxane, havne't replenished.

The outfitter I hunted with in WY this fall had a gallon ziplock about 1/2 full of sawdust mixed w/diesel. They buy the big bags of pine-shavings used for chicken bedding, dump that in a large barrel then mix in the diesel. It lights, burns for a long time, is cheap, doesn't weigh much, and is easy to have a large supply of.

Bought a tin of "Pyro-Putty" and it works pretty well, I don't think it's as hot as Trioxane. We had a few dead-dried pine branches w/orange needles on them that once put over the pyro-putty, started a fire darned quick.

I carry a windproof lighter and will use that to start Trioxane or the Pyro-putty.

In a pinch, I do carry one of these for actually getting a fire started as well just in case my lighter doesn't work for some reason:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5YLS3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 for trioxane. I pick them up from army surplus dealers at gun shows. I believe they were used for a little ration stove. They burn hot and for a good amount of time. Long enough to get some less than ideal tinder going.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.