Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Does anyone make a leupold type base that uses twist in rings for a 10/22. The leupold base places the rings too far foward and not working well with the scopes eye relief . I have some very well made 4 bolt twist in rings that I want to use but the leupold base places the scope about 3/4 - 1" too much foward.

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Redrill and tap receiver for Leupold/Redfield base to set scope back a bit. Not that hard to do.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Redrill and tap receiver for Leupold/Redfield base to set scope back a bit. Not that hard to do.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You could also drill and counterbore new screw holes in the base instead. Either way would work.

I am afraid if one is going to use the Redfield Jr. style turn in rings , those are your only options because the Leupold base is now the only game in town.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The way the base is made, I'm not sure you'd have enough room to move it very far. And the aluminum receiver is easier to drill and tap; you can put the base where you want. You gotta be careful to not wallow the hole out with the tap, keep it straight. And, don't over tighten, use Loc-Tite.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Are you just wanting to do this because you have those rings and want to use them? Or want a certain look? You can get a weaver 430T paired with some leupold rifleman rings for a fraction of the cost and headache. 430T has more mounting options than the factory rail. I recently tried out the NCStar on a takedown model, can remove scope and still use the iron sights while leaving rail on.

Last edited by killerv; 10/07/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The way the base is made, I'm not sure you'd have enough room to move it very far. And the aluminum receiver is easier to drill and tap; you can put the base where you want. You gotta be careful to not wallow the hole out with the tap, keep it straight. And, don't over tighten, use Loc-Tite.

DF

I know drilliing the gun worked well for you. Your gun looks fine.

But years ago a lifelong gunsmith taught me a to "always modify the least expensive and/or easiest replaced part. That way if you screw it up , you have have an easier time correcting the error.

A $25 Leupold base is worth a lot less than a Ruger reciever- not to mention lowering the gun's value by drilling the reciever top with extra holes.

. I am pretty sure the rear Leupold base hole can be used and another hole drilled just ahead of it for tge two rear holes. The front screw holes may be the problem as one has to work around that rotary dovetail cut. I would think at least one screw hole could be drilled and then you would at least beeven with the origional Leupold base setup as it only comes with three holes from the factory.

Either way , it seems doable .

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, you only need to drill and tap two holes, using the existing for two screws.

Works OK. Easier to do, IMO.

I agree with the principle your smith bud laid out. He's right.

I didn't have the right equipment to tackle the steel base, drilling the aluminum receiver was the easiest.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, you only need to drill and tap two holes, using the existing for two screws.

Works OK. Easier to do, IMO.

I agree with the principle your smith bud laid out. He's right.

I didn't have the right equipment to tackle the steel base, drilling the aluminum receiver was the easiest.

DF

One thing is for sure , if the OP pays a machinidt or gunsmith to even drill two holes -it's gojng to be at least $50+ for the work..

Another bit of advice my old gunsmith freind tought me is never make or modify a part that you can not easily or cheaply buy an alyernative vetsion of off the shelf.

And that was coming from a fellow who was a master machinist and loved to build Classic custom rifles..:)

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Then, if he can do the easy stuff himself...

That was my case.

DF

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I just went newer Weaver pic rail base and Burris Zee.rings

IC B3

jeeper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I appreciate the advice given. I will probably play around with a cheap rail and some rings and see what happens. I'm trying to mount scope as low as possible to keep a good cheek weld. Gun has a Sporter stock and it has more comb drop then I wish. Scope is a swfa ultralight rimfire and in my opinion a short eye relief.
Receiver is a steel unit made by Kingston Armory. I'm not scared to drill it but will check out a rail and rings first.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The old Weaver rail w 3 or 4 slots is low. Zee rings might scratch receiver. Slightly taller is the newer version w slots all over ( pic rail ). You can go that way and run Zee lows if objective clears.

I have a fingergroove sporter (70).....and think mediums a little tall. Got some lows last week. Rear sight folded. May have to remove or just get GM sporter bbl. Mediums clear the freedom vx efr 3-9x. But the scope looks horrible on an old classic

Too tacticool

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pic rail, Burris Zee lows, GM sporter bbl and an M8 4x compact proly what it ends up

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Newer Weaver multi slot w low Leupold American alloys and a VX1 2-7x. Might be lows LOL....had meds on target model, cant remember if I switched

Attached Images
Last edited by hookeye; 10/08/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.