Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
age is the biggest factor for many of us so now days give a scope,heck iron sights i would have a tough time even seeing the front sight on a any rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Agree with the aging eyes and iron sights. My irons, these days, are for decoration and to hang up on brush.

But even with good eyes, after I "discovered" scopes with wider field of views, a scope has been my choice.

There are Many people that do not practice getting on target quickly with a scope. These folks have a hard time finding a stationary target.
Though, some would have the same issue with irons without practicing shouldering the rifle and aligning the sights.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I’m getting a few years on me too and I’m sure that scopes are faster to make accurate hits with and I’m sure receiver sights are the next best thing, but I find both to imperfect for fast shooting of big targets up close.

A bead sight is faster on a shotgun than either because of the accuracy requirement. I’m not sure a Buffalo at 20 yards is much different. I also like the rear sight being farther from my eye in recoil. Last, open sights get picked up before on target, but a reticle or dot gets picked up after the gun comes on target. If you will give up that final aim accuracy, sights can be faster.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
Mule Deer: I agree about 2 points for irons but a ghost ring receiver sight only requires concentrating on the front sight. The eye automatically centers the front sight in the hole. Aagaard's test had the scope very slightly faster than the peep sight. Scope does allow for avoiding brush.

Sorry, but unless the stock is set up to align your eye closely behind the ghost ring, it does not work that way. Instead you still may have to align your head) slightly to get your eye behind the ghost ring AND front sight, while even a 2.5x scope (which is what Finn used on his .375 H&H) is faster--because the scope's ocular lens is a LOT wider than the ghost ring. It provides an instant look the entire FOV even if slightly misaligned, with the reticle plainly visible.

Which exactly why Finn's test indicated the scope was faster than a ghost ring--and even though the advantage was slight, any time saved can be critical in that sort of situation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by bobmn
Mule Deer: I agree about 2 points for irons but a ghost ring receiver sight only requires concentrating on the front sight. The eye automatically centers the front sight in the hole. Aagaard's test had the scope very slightly faster than the peep sight. Scope does allow for avoiding brush.

Sorry, but unless the stock is set up to align your eye closely behind the ghost ring, it does not work that way. Instead you still may have to align your head) slightly to get your eye behind the ghost ring AND front sight, while even a 2.5x scope (which is what Finn used on his .375 H&H) is faster--because the scope's ocular lens is a LOT wider than the ghost ring. It provides an instant look the entire FOV even if slightly misaligned, with the reticle plainly visible.

Which exactly why Finn's test indicated the scope was faster than a ghost ring--and even though the advantage was slight, any time saved can be critical in that sort of situation.

Spot on.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have with this myself, adding xs reciever sight and front bead- it was ok, I have a tried a red dot- didn't care for it. I now use a low power scout scope, it is quick for me. I have grown to really feel comfortable with long eye relief scout scopes, have several now.Burris makes a 2 x7 that I use on a BLR/ .270 too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have with this myself, adding xs reciever sight and front bead- it was ok, I have a tried a red dot- didn't care for it. I now use a low power scout scope, it is quick for me. I have grown to really feel comfortable with long eye relief scout scopes, have several now.Burris makes a 2 x7 that I use on a BLR/ .270 too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Never thought of an optic as an obstacle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7mm_Loco, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.