Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about meals on hikes/hunting. My wife and I are gong to backpack the AT in TN soon and I'm looking at our food list. I really don't like Mountainhouse and have tried several other similar competitors. Havent found anything I'm crazy about. I've been looking at the Greenbelly bars and an considering giving them a whirl. Reviews on the GB site are all "great" but thought I'd ask the folks here. I trust you guys more than random internet comments.

I'd also be interested in what you guys eat for your dinner/supper meal. I have my breakfast, lunch, snack dialed in for me and the wife.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mountain House tastes like gourmet cooking when your hungry enough.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently I've never been that hungry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy brought some up for an alpine hunt this week. Haven’t tried any yet but is fairly lightweight for what it is.

Yup.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BW, guess I’m not sure what you’re after meal-wise...

I’m with you, I can’t eat the Mountain House, and gave it up years ago. As far as I’m concerned, toxic chit.

The green belly bars look like a supplement to ordinary meals... is that what you gather?

What’s your AT trip entail? How many days?

I really like many of Outdoor Herbivore and Good To Go Meals...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve used greenbelly bars as meal replacement and they’re great. My appetite goes down when I’m on the trail and these, in addition to other bars, do nicely for me.

I’ve gone to bars & custom trail mix for breakfast & lunch then a more substantial meal for dinner just to keep my calories up.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brad - they advertise the bars as a meal replacement - "stoveless backpack meals".

As to the trip, my wife, and by extension me, is trying to hike all 900+ miles of trails in the Smokys. We have remote pieces of the AT left and a few longer hikes on the Carolina side. We are getting close. The only ones that remain are longer than I want to day hike - and we've done several 20+ mile days in the last 2 years. At 55, my feet don't want to function after 20 miles. So, I hatched the idea of backpacking to get the rest. Bought her an Osprey pack (Aerial I think) and working through things to make it as comfortable as possible for her. I foresee a few long days and A. don't want to cook much, B. want something that is good. Plus, I'm thinking this works for my elk trips.

We haven't settled on an AT route yet but am leaning toward 2 trips. Start in the middle (Newfound Gap) and hike to Fontana Dam (~ 35 miles) on trip 1. Trip 2 starts at Newfound Gap and hike towards Davenport gap, also ~ 35 miles. Thinking those are 3 day trips each. Starting at Fontana means a 3000+ foot elevation gain over about 6 miles but the first 2 miles or so is the bulk of the climb. The Smokys aren't high but they do get steep. We have a hike or two on the Carolina side that likely involve a backpack and a boat ride across Fontana.

Don't tell my wife but I may use her hiking goals as elk season prep. We are headed to Colorado in 2 weeks on a hiking vacation. There might be a bit of elk scouting, or I mean hiking, that week. <G>

Thanks for the food ideas - I'll check them out.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve used greenbelly bars as meal replacement and they’re great. My appetite goes down when I’m on the trail and these, in addition to other bars, do nicely for me.

I’ve gone to bars & custom trail mix for breakfast & lunch then a more substantial meal for dinner just to keep my calories up.

I'm headed in that same direction if I can find something that tastes better than Mountainhouse and gives me a better fuel source. My normal elk day starts 2 hours before sunrise and ends 2 hours after. I really don't feel like even cooking water. About day 2 or 3, I've been known to eat a couple PBJ samiches, a bar of some sort, and water from inside my sleeping bag........... I normally take every 3-4 morning off if I haven't killed an elk. On those days, its a bunch of calories, water, and sleep. Then repeat <G>

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
Brad - they advertise the bars as a meal replacement - "stoveless backpack meals".

As to the trip, my wife, and by extension me, is trying to hike all 900+ miles of trails in the Smokys. We have remote pieces of the AT left and a few longer hikes on the Carolina side. We are getting close. The only ones that remain are longer than I want to day hike - and we've done several 20+ mile days in the last 2 years. At 55, my feet don't want to function after 20 miles. So, I hatched the idea of backpacking to get the rest. Bought her an Osprey pack (Aerial I think) and working through things to make it as comfortable as possible for her. I foresee a few long days and A. don't want to cook much, B. want something that is good. Plus, I'm thinking this works for my elk trips.

We haven't settled on an AT route yet but am leaning toward 2 trips. Start in the middle (Newfound Gap) and hike to Fontana Dam (~ 35 miles) on trip 1. Trip 2 starts at Newfound Gap and hike towards Davenport gap, also ~ 35 miles. Thinking those are 3 day trips each. Starting at Fontana means a 3000+ foot elevation gain over about 6 miles but the first 2 miles or so is the bulk of the climb. The Smokys aren't high but they do get steep. We have a hike or two on the Carolina side that likely involve a backpack and a boat ride across Fontana.

Don't tell my wife but I may use her hiking goals as elk season prep. We are headed to Colorado in 2 weeks on a hiking vacation. There might be a bit of elk scouting, or I mean hiking, that week. <G>

Thanks for the food ideas - I'll check them out.

Nice!

I walked from Springer Mountain, GA to WV in the summer of 1977 with a friend. I turned 16 years old at Bly Gap. I think I went through Newfoundland Gap on the 2nd of July 1977, because I was definitely at Davenport Gap on the 4th of July where we two long haired Yankees were invited to a wonderful down-home family reunion, repleat with moonshine (my first taste). “Southern Hospitality” is no myth!

Anyway, the Appalachians are fantastic training for elk hunting... Westerners really don’t appreciate how hard the hiking there can be.

I appreciate the info on the greenbelly bars... I’ve been looking for something like these for lunches. I eat a plant based diet 99% of the time which eliminates a lot of the backpack foods available.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
backpackers' corollary:

The quality of the food is directly proportional to the distance from the road.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive used greenbelly bars on my last two elk hunts. Ive been satisfied with them with one exception, the chocolate banana flavor was horrible.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info! Banana flavored anything sucks......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Green belly bars are what I pack for lunch. I won’t say they are amazing, but not terrible either. Seem to keep me going just fine. The chocolate/banana is my favorite!

My food for the day:
Power Bar once I get going (Clif bar this year)
Nuts/dried fruit/Ghirardelli dark choc square (snack)
Green Belly bar for lunch
Nuts/dried fruit/beef stick (snack)
Freeze dried meal for dinner (Peak refuel this year)
Small snickers
Coffee
Electrolyte replacement powder

Comes out to 1.5lb/day of food.

I tried the Green Belly powdered drink. Oooh, not good. I was hoping to use them, but I won’t be taking any.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
Mountain House tastes like gourmet cooking when your hungry enough.

Agreed. They warm you right up. After 3 or 4 days though the gut tells you to lay off them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Scrap the Mountain House and Go Peak Refuel.

Cornbread wrapped in Saran wrap. Easy to make and the packaging weighs nothing and easy to carry out.

I am not a fan of all that powerbbars, cliff bar stuff, and the likes. However I swear by GU Energy Chews I like the Watermelon and the Blueberry. Stinger Makes some good ones as well I like the Grapefruit flavor in their chews.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Cornbread wrapped in Saran wrap. Easy to make and the packaging weighs nothing and easy to carry out.

I am not a fan of all that powerbbars, cliff bar stuff, and the likes. However I swear by GU Energy Chews I like the Watermelon and the Blueberry. Stinger Makes some good ones as well I like the Grapefruit flavor in their chews.

Those energy chews do weird things to me. Makes me floaty and jittery. I wish they didn't...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Those energy chews do weird things to me. Makes me floaty and jittery. I wish they didn't...

Doesn't surprise me. It is like rocket fuel for humans! Are you eating all in the package in one sitting?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No. Just small pieces. One trip. Had to eat them as it was part of the ration on the mountain!

It was weird. Balance was impacted. My pard guzzled them and is fine.

All good. Just a side note....

- Greg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

You're just lucky, your recreational drugs are cheap.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cwh2

You're just lucky, your recreational drugs are cheap.

Laffin'...

Wouldn't know but it's a good buzz in a different weird way....

- Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
601 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.