Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The republic is sick when one must wonder about such

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're not prohibited from owning a firearm, not including anything that falls under Class III, I can't think of a Federal Law that prevents him from giving and you from receiving them.

If he wants you to distribute specific firearm to specific family members or friends, other than to you, he could put that in his will.

The distribution of a person's assets often brings out the worst behavior in both family and "friends", so if you become the keeper be prepared for others to claim that they were the rightful heir to whatever they want when you Father passes.

When my Mother passed, there were people coming out of the woodwork claiming that she had promised them things, but she didn't leave any record of such bequeaths, so I gave her stuff that I didn't want to whoever I felt would appreciate it and ignored the rest. Without proper documentation an estate executor had broad latitude to do as he/she feels is appropriate in most States.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Over 2000 murders done in Chicago this year with illegally obtained firearms, but these bureaucrat a- holes no matter where are worried about a father and a son and their bond. Agree, so pathetic where we have gone as a country.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
BurninDupont: Wait for a birthday, hoilday or any special day and have them handed over to you.
No muss, no fuss, no dilly-dallying!
And thank your father profusely, and then promise they will be kept within the family.
Been there done that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Over 2000 murders done in Chicago this year with illegally obtained firearms, but these bureaucrat a- holes no matter where are worried about a father and a son and their bond. Agree, so pathetic where we have gone as a country.

It's a phugged up country, is it not ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Denton said. I can tell you there are no problems in my state but other states are different. That's what lawyers are for.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dafuq?????

Load them up and take them home

What are you? A closet Canadian?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Just hand them over, done deal

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Handguns must be legally transferred in Pa.

But,

they can be passed (without any paperwork) between
immediate family members. Blood or spouses only.

So, my Super Blackhawk that was registered in my Stepdads name
when I bought it at 17, could be given to my mother, who then could
give it to me. Legally. He couldn't give it directly to me.

This issue caused me to examine the law about 3 years ago.
For simplicity, due to some unusual issues, I paid the $12 to do
a transfer.

In short, in Pa, your dad can legally give you any gun he legally owns.

Yep. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is still a "have a nice day" or "happy birthday" state.

Your gubbner........ Tommy the Commie........would LOVE to have it 180 degrees the OTHER way.........

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Hello everyone, hope all is well

I was hoping to get some advice here as I am sure I'm not the only one to go through this.

My father is getting older and he wants to keep our family firearms including pistols protected by passing them down to me but he is unsure of the laws and wants to be covered on all ends.

What is the best recommendation on how to go about transferring all of his firearms over time into my name? I have my firearms purchaser ID card.

Go to a FFL with any firearm we believe was purchased "on record" and have them transferred into my name?
Leave them in his will to me and I will inherit them? Do not want to have to pay tax on them if that could come up if we go this route?
Do pistols complicate things?

Basically what can bite us here, want to do the right thing. Would be heartbroken if we had any unwanted consequences with this.

Thank you kindly!

I don't believe anything can "bite" you now, but it would good to do this now so just in case the dems get it, it's done.

The demoncraps have all kinds of crap they will likely pull related to firearms, if given the chance.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap, this is America. Just get the guns, pocket watch and carry on.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As long as the kids are all residents of the same state as the father there shouldn't be a problem with just handing them over. If any of the kids live in another state they should go through a FFL. That could potentially lead to serious problems depending on which states are involved.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If there are NFA items go to a lawyer and get a trust with your father and you and transfer them to the trust

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
In anticipation of possible future political weirdness I gifted all of my documented "assault rifles" to various family members with a notarized document. This dates their ownership should that become a question.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx
If you think there will be issues with other family members, then have him express his wishes or the transfer of all firearms in a letter signed in front of a notary or an attorney.

Should be no serious legal issues, unless he has dementia, or YOU have a felony or domestic violence conviction.

This. Removes all doubt among the family members or anyone else for that matter.

Transfer of firearms between family members are not controlled by the govt in any state that I am aware of.

Dont know how your Dad's health is, but when things like this arise it is a wise plan to get it done with as soon as possible, dont screw around with it.

Last edited by jnyork; 10/07/19.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Holy crap, this is America. Just get the guns, pocket watch and carry on.

It is now, but won't be for long if the demoncraps get their way.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
According to Pa. regs he can just give them to you. That’s how it is here in Nebraska too.

Next, we examined Pennsylvania law when it comes to the transfer of modern handguns. Typically, sales or transfers of modern handguns between private individuals must take place in “the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office . . . .” 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111. Essentially, these transfers must take place through your Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) or through the Sheriff’s Office. In facilitating the transfer, the FFL or Sheriff will take the same precautions required of a dealer when selling to an individual. So, yes, the person receiving the firearm will submit to a background check (so much for that “gun show loophole”, right?).

This requirement does not apply to transfers between spouses, transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild. Id. Transfers between folks in these relationships can take place without any record required or background check provided that the transferring person does not knowingly transfer the weapon to a prohibited person. Again, this doesn’t necessarily serve as ammunition for the “gun show loophole” folks, because it doesn’t seem to make much sense to meet Grandpa at the gun show to complete a transfer.

Last edited by Swifty52; 10/07/19.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PA laws are all that apply... and an important one relates to how Wills MAY have to be written. In some States all potential heirs must be named in the Will, even if they are to receive nothing. Pre-gifting is a good idea, but getting stuff on paper is even more important.

There is a Federal exemption on gifting to family but it is more of a hassle than just following the State laws here. PA might be a situation where it would be easier to go through a Federal exemption.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52
According to Pa. regs he can just give them to you. That’s how it is here in Nebraska too.

Next, we examined Pennsylvania law when it comes to the transfer of modern handguns. Typically, sales or transfers of modern handguns between private individuals must take place in “the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office . . . .” 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111. Essentially, these transfers must take place through your Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) or through the Sheriff’s Office. In facilitating the transfer, the FFL or Sheriff will take the same precautions required of a dealer when selling to an individual. So, yes, the person receiving the firearm will submit to a background check (so much for that “gun show loophole”, right?).

This requirement does not apply to transfers between spouses, transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild. Id. Transfers between folks in these relationships can take place without any record required or background check provided that the transferring person does not knowingly transfer the weapon to a prohibited person. Again, this doesn’t necessarily serve as ammunition for the “gun show loophole” folks, because it doesn’t seem to make much sense to meet Grandpa at the gun show to complete a transfer.

Good stuff!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've already started the process. First round + some, already distributed. Remainder have hang tags with names on them. I started a list with names about 10 years ago. But, the inventory was still changing. Ended up just putting hang tags on stuff I am not actively using, or, has already been gifted.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.