Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Now, having traveled all over the United States, and seen some very large trees in a lot of places, there's only one place to see trees like this. And for those who have never been, I highly recommend it. Even though they are in California. Yes, OR, WA, BC, AK, ID and MT have some big trees, very big trees, but it's hard to beat these coastal redwoods.

I went to the coast a week or so back and stopped to "visit" a friend who's ashes we may or may not have dusted over the ground here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Vehicle for scale, and the tree in the parking lot is not particularly large:

Founders Tree, 190.4 feet to the first branch, over 346' tall, 40' in circumference.

What happens when one falls? Kindling?

I believe the split tree was hit by a tree hit by the Dwyerville Giant when it fell in '91. This is the root wad of the Giant, vertical 4x4 post in front of it is about 2.5' tall to give you an idea of scale and it sits 15'-20' in front of the roots, at the edge of the divot caused when it fell.

A little info on the Giant:

I highly recommend getting off the freeway and taking the Avenue of the Giants (old hwy 101) if you want a nice experience while on vacation. The Founders Grove is only one of at least a dozen on that section. There are more big trees to be seen further north along 101 also. Truly a world record place right here in the good ol' US of A, not available anywhere else in the world. The Giant Sequoias in the Sierras are cool too, but don't get as tall as the coastal variety.

Now, go ahead and run down Commiefornia if you must, but our scenic grandeur is second to none...................well perhaps second to Alaska.

Geno

PS, did y'all catch that 190.4 feet to the first branch thing? lotta places don't even have one tree 190.4' tall around. Or even a bldg that tall. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. Thanks!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A guy could resaw just those splinters on a bandsaw mill and get enough lumber for a small home.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny you mention something like that mart. I worked for a timber company there in the 90's and there were folks that secured the rights from them to haul out old cull logs and stumps and cut them into usable boards like grapestakes and shingles. Some of those culls had been laying on the ground for over 100 years and were still sound as redwood is very rot/insect resistant.

If a cull log was long enough, the company still had a mill in operation that could handle old growth and it could be sent there. The new mill couldn't handle anything over 36" diam, was designed strictly for second and third growth wood.

When I was over there I saw the old growth mill was mostly non-operational and used to store some stuff.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those are impressive, but I think the sequoias are even more so. Largest tree in the world, by volume, is a sequoia.

NRA Benefactor life member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen the coastal redwoods and they are really big, but the Sequoia's in eastern Ca. seemed bigger. I read somewhere that the redwood get taller, but that's about all. The sequoia are much bigger in diameter, live longer, etc.

Either one is truly something to see.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My house, built in 1959, is framed in redwood. Instead of plywood, the subfloor and roof sheathing are redwood planks. Pre-dimensional lumber of course.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trees cure global warming, plant at will!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nocal redwoods have their own cocks

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Those are impressive, but I think the sequoias are even more so. Largest tree in the world, by volume, is a sequoia.

Originally Posted by Oldman3
I've seen the coastal redwoods and they are really big, but the Sequoia's in eastern Ca. seemed bigger. I read somewhere that the redwood get taller, but that's about all. The sequoia are much bigger in diameter, live longer, etc.

Either one is truly something to see.

Oh, you bet, as I mentioned in my op. Very cool, and the Sierras have their own allure. I think the General Sherman tree has a first branch with enough wood in it to build a small house. They get really big around too, not sure of the largest diameter, but usually bigger around than the coastal ones. But the old coastal ones got pretty big too. I've personally stood on stumps over 18' in diameter, I think one was close to 21', that were out in the woods we were working in. And that's not DBH as they had to use jackboards and get well above ground level to be able to get a good cut. Can't imagine what it was like falling them. Or the ones in the Sierra. Both are truly amazing.

Have seen big spruce in AK, big cedar and Doug fir in OR and WA, big hardwoods back east, even some champion juniper around here, but there's something about the light in the coastal redwoods, when you're in a grove of 300'+ trees, not just a few trees but dozens, maybe hundreds that is special. The light in the Giant Sequoias is brighter, the trees aren't as close together, and they don't seem to put out a mist like the coastal ones do. No matter how many times I go there, including working and living among them, I get emotional (please don't hate on me wink ) when I get in a grove of redwoods.

But, if all one has a chance to see is the Sierra models, by all means don't miss it. Same goes for the spruce, Doug fir, and cedar in other areas of the west.........

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Nocal redwoods have their own cocks

And it takes a guy with a creepy avatar like yours to notice them. laugh

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Walking through the trails and it's like...looka the dick on that one, braggart

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Walking through the trails and it's like...looka the dick on that one, braggart

That's the Old Man of the Forest lookin' at you.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The redwoods will wow ya. They're like seeing the northern lights or the grand canyon for the first time.

Nothing man made there.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wow, those are big

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Birthdays always remind me of the giant redwoods on the West Coast. The way they stand tall and proud, year after year, century after century. Their majestic beauty never fails to take my breath away.

Thank you for planting them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Visited back in 1985 while I lived in San Diego, the giants are amazing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Absolutely love those big trees. Spent my early life until 20's in that part of the world. One grandfather was first to drive a Caterpillar up there snaking trees after they were felled. My other grandfather was a logger from age 14 until he retired in early 60's. Just walking back among the trees around noon with shafts of light streaming down and the mist in the air. The smell of rotting wood and the giant ferns are fantastic. Add in the mystical blacktail moving like a ghost amongst the woods. Wonderful place. Have travelled much of the world and nothing is like this area. Thanks for posting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geno-
U have a date in SF?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Geno-
U have a date in SF?

laugh

you funny, not funny haha, but funny anyway

Nope, had to go to Humboldt county to pick up "something". wink

Geno

PS, that something was a very large anvil I left there in 1999.

PPS, I left the other stuff there over 30 years ago and don't intend to pick any more up, even though it's now "legal". crazy

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.