Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You older guys might remember Jack Belk, Idaho gunsmith. He testified a number of times about how this trigger had a problem. I took a 721 to him and while I'm still not sure what he did, he seems to have fixed the problem.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Just thought I would post this so folks can be careful. I had an issue with a stiff safety a couple of years ago and the gunsmith told me he replaced the trigger on my 1986 Remington model 700 .264 Win mag for me. I did not ask him what he replaced it with, just what poundage it was. He said it was two pounds and I tried the trigger and it seemed nice. About a year or so ago, I shot a doe, but when I got to her she tried to get up to run. I quickly swung into action and when I took the safety off the gun discharged. I chalked it up to me hitting the trigger in the exactment of her getting up to run. A year goes by and several deer are taken and rifle is taken to the range this past august on two occasions with no issues.

Three weeks ago after an evening hunt I was unloading my rifle at my truck and the gun went off. It scared the crap out of me. I again figured I must have hit the trigger some how. Yesterday I hunted with my son. When we got back to the truck I pointed the rifle in a safe direction and when I slid the safety off she went off .

I will be taking the rifle to Jarret Rifles tomorrow to see what is going on, but just want to give folks a heads up to be careful.

Dan

That's a commonly reported occurrence with the Remington 700.

What? You mean they malfunction when some idiot reworks or alters the parts to non factory specs?

Yeah -that's real common.

With most all factory guns.

fixt for you...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good for you!

Muzzle control cures a lot of problems.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You older guys might remember Jack Belk, Idaho gunsmith. He testified a number of times about how this trigger had a problem. I took a 721 to him and while I'm still not sure what he did, he seems to have fixed the problem.

Jack Belk? You mean that back-stabbing POS that sold out to attorneys looking to ruin Remington? The one that testified he could NEVER replicate the problem in ANY 700 involved in ANY case against Remington? Including the infamous case of the woman that killed her son through terrible gun handling? Yet could cause ANY 700 to do so by deliberately misadjusting it?

How easy is it to finger a trigger while unloading?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW I am not suggesting the OP fingered his trigger while unloading... I am wondering why he took so long to run such a simple test and why he did it with a loaded gun... seems event number one should have been plenty of warning.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Funny, I have 11 of them, from 1970 vintage up to 2014, never had a problem.

You are obviously very special. You should come to Vegas with luck like that.

I was skeptical of the trigger issue for several years, until I had two unintended discharges like the OP's.

How many million 700s are there in service today? And you think 11 makes it special? You better stay away from ALL gambling with math skills like that.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you got your rifle back from bilk, consider yourself lucky as several that sent theirs to him for smith work did not.
Booted off about every forum he has been on in the last 20 or so years.

Last edited by WTF; 10/07/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My first thought was ......penicillin needed! whistle Seriously though, thank God no one was injured or worse. Any manmade, mechanical item can fail.....though, Remington has developed a very bad track record! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/07/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The trigger needs to be cleaned with lighter fluid. No oil or grease on the trigger after cleaning. The gunsmith is being blamed but I would bet he did a fine job of cleaning and adjusting the trigger. The problem is lack of cleaning and almost certainly oil has seeped into the trigger from the bolt and has gummed or hardened. The Walker trigger is a poor design for a general use rifle to be used by people with limited knowledge of its need for care and cleaning. The Walker trigger works fine if well maintained.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 10/07/19.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Jack Belk believed in his cause. He had written a book on unsafe firearms. He had been suspended from a large forum for a year. His offense was not putting the heavy load warning on loads where needed. The Walker trigger was not allowed as a topic any longer on that forum. Mr. Belk had a large following. Some members were very unhappy about his suspension. In the ruckus some of the reasons for Walker accidents came from Cloud Cuckoo Land. It appears Mr. Belk was close to some of the moderators. Others though he was a blowhard. I got the trigger changed out on my 700 SPS and happy for doing so. The trigger was replaced by Remington as part of the judgement at the time. If I want to go less than 3.5 pounds it will be with an aftermarket trigger. The new trigger breaks clean and works great.

Last edited by Roundball1; 10/07/19.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had this issue with two Rem 700's over the past 20 years. Except for one model 600, everything Remington in my house now has a Timney...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trigger tech and a few minutes and it will cease to ever be an issue.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Slavek
You have two downsides a Remington rifle and caliber .264. I would fix it at least possible cost sell it and get a wonderful Made in Portugal Winchester Model 70. The Winchester is based on Springfield which was based on the legendary Mauser 98. The Remington 700 is a clunker based Model 721 as desire to produce rifle at least possible cost.

You are definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer ........

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jack Belk? You mean that back-stabbing POS that sold out to attorneys looking to ruin Remington? The one that testified he could NEVER replicate the problem in ANY 700 involved in ANY case against Remington? Including the infamous case of the woman that killed her son through terrible gun handling? Yet could cause ANY 700 to do so by deliberately misadjusting it?

Remington didn't need any outside help ruining the company. The trigger design has been flawed since designed in 1946. It is just a matter of time before any of them do this. If you'rs hasn't then you've just not handled it enough. Not being able to replicate the problem is only due to time constraints. You may have to fire 5000 rounds to get the rifle to do this once, then maybe another 10,000 before it does it again. The odds are that most 700 owners will never get unlucky. But that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

factory recall ?????????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
lol

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40

Remington didn't need any outside help ruining the company. The trigger design has been flawed since designed in 1946. It is just a matter of time before any of them do this. If you'rs hasn't then you've just not handled it enough. Not being able to replicate the problem is only due to time constraints. You may have to fire 5000 rounds to get the rifle to do this once, then maybe another 10,000 before it does it again. The odds are that most 700 owners will never get unlucky. But that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Now you are pulling numbers out of thin air. And you are completely ridiculous for it. Any 700 can be made to misfire by misadjusting. None of the triggers involved in lawsuits ever misfired during their studies. There absolutely was not ever a single failure and they had all the time they wanted, period.

Had Remington gone to court they stood to lose a lot of money. They took the route of paying them off rather than fighting it. It was probably a good move financially but it has led to a lot of confused people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Roundball1
Jack Belk believed in his cause. He had written a book on unsafe firearms. He had been suspended from a large forum for a year. His offense was not putting the heavy load warning on loads where needed. The Walker trigger was not allowed as a topic any longer on that forum. Mr. Belk had a large following. Some members were very unhappy about his suspension. In the ruckus some of the reasons for Walker accidents came from Cloud Cuckoo Land. It appears Mr. Belk was close to some of the moderators. Others though he was a blowhard. I got the trigger changed out on my 700 SPS and happy for doing so. The trigger was replaced by Remington as part of the judgement at the time. If I want to go less than 3.5 pounds it will be with an aftermarket trigger. The new trigger breaks clean and works great.

The only part of the case Belk believed in was cash.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The only part of the case Belk believed in was cash.

This

Last edited by WTF; 10/07/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Drive it into the ground and tie tomato plants to it. Then go put the pointed toe of your shoe up that gunsmith's rectum.

Even repaired again, that rifle would have a stigma attached to it.
It would for me, and I ain't even the superstitious type.

Send it to me, I'll use it until I can't anymore without any issues... the paranoia around here sometimes...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,591
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.