Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am looking to buy a better pack than the big-box store type packs I have used in the past. Mystery Ranch offers extensive military discounts and I would like to stay with them.

I am considering the pop-up 28 for my uses. It will be mostly a day pack, with maybe an over night trip or two.

Who has used what in the MR family? Send me your thoughts and suggestions, please.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have high hopes for my Sawtooth 45 I bought this year. Plan on using it as a day pack with meat hauling capabilities. I could get an overnight or two out of it if I did that sort of thing.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Pop-Up- it's a great pack for day hunts (with the ability to haul meat!); by using a dry bag and the meat shelf you can do an overnighter with it too- obviously you'd wouldn't be able to haul as much meat out with overnight gear

IMHO you want to keep loads under 70-ish lbs w/ the Pop-Up (I prefer to keep loads near that even with a dedicated hauler if possible)

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have a Pop-Up- it's a great pack for day hunts (with the ability to haul meat!); by using a dry bag and the meat shelf you can do an overnighter with it too- obviously you'd wouldn't be able to haul as much meat out with overnight gear

IMHO you want to keep loads under 70-ish lbs w/ the Pop-Up (I prefer to keep loads near that even with a dedicated hauler if possible)

Everything you just typed was exactly how I had planned to use it. How well do you like it from a comfort and usability overall?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it very comfortable- day hunting I have the frame folded down and out of the way- probably 15-ish lbs (maybe a little more) and I don't even know I have it on. The compact nature of the pack allows me to get through deadfall and thicker timber much better than using a hauler as a day pack.

If all a person were going to do is haul heavy loads, there are better packs. If you're looking for something that you'll be mainly day hunting with AND have the ability to haul meat out too- I think a person would be tough to find anything comparable.

I haven't used it for any overnighters, but pulling the bag away from the frame and putting in items that won't fit in the bag into a dry bag I'm 100% certain would work well.

One dig I'd have is the bottle pockets- they are a little tight with 32 oz nalgenes- I've simply gone to two 16 oz Nalgenes (and will carry a Platypus bottle in the bag if I need even more water)

Here's mine loaded for a long day of hunting (mine is the 18 liter version)

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.