Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Never been around the powermax, gonna check them out!

I have had a lot of experience with the 160 FTX however. The 308 marlin express cannulure fit perfectly for the 300 savage.

Been regularly flopping cow elk outta hay fields at about 300 plus yards for years! 160 FTX 300 savage lever lotion powder.

I would like to chronograph the factory 30/30 powermax line with the lever ever lotion lineup sometime!

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/04/19.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Let's face it the 30-30 is not a hot rod. Hand loading is the way to go. I suspect you are hunting Black Bear mostly so as long as you do not plan on stopping a head on charge they go down fairly easy with some very underwhelming cartridges. I would not try to re-invent the wheel here since a heavy jacket with soft lead core with bonded core or partition get's the job down rather easily. I use a 45-70 but as a kid the 30-30 was super popular and pawn shops and used gun stores are always full of used lever actions in 30-30. In fact I have consideed getting another 30-30 Lever Action just for nostalgia's sake! It does not matter if it is a 30-30 or a 30-06 if I need penetration I like heavy solidly constructed round nose flat base bullets.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am currently reloading Nosler Partition 170-grainers for my 30-30.
I love the partition's mix of great expansion and lots of penetration.

I really think it's a great choice, as long as the particular 30-30 groups them well.

That having been said, I also strongly agree that just about all the current market offerings for 30-30 are extremely adequate for deer and black bear, and wouldn't disappoint.

We're living in "good bullet times", where you almost can't go wrong.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the FWIW Department-

I always zero my 94s irons at 200 yards with Federal Champion 150 grain SPs or my 'forever' reload using Winchester primers, 34 grain of H4895 and a Speer or Sierra 150 grain flat SP. These have shared the same POI in all my 30-30 Winchesters, so all are good. That load and zero has put deer on the ground instantly or in 50 foot radius, from 'the other side of the tree' to 235 yards.

Awhile back a favorite nephew gave me a part box of 160 grain LEVERevolution factory loads. Just for grins I put up an old barrel lid at 330 yards, held carefully in the middle and let a couple fly, with no other sight adjustment. I'd have been happy to find a couple of hits in or near the bottom edge. What I found was two clean holes, about 6" apart, right in the center of the lid. You could also tell from the dirt churned up behind it, the LEVERevolution was still hitting pretty hard.

I'm not changing from my regular loads, but I am definitely going to keep a couple of the LEVERevolution round in my shirt pocket when the 94 goes to the woods. A hundred yards more reach, simply by changing ammo, could sure come in handy when Mr. Yodel Dog thinks he's safe in the distance.

As to heavy bullet loads, the 190 grain Barnes looks pretty good to me and I am hunting reload data for that one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020722037

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
From the FWIW Department-

I always zero my 94s irons at 200 yards with Federal Champion 150 grain SPs or my 'forever' reload using Winchester primers, 34 grain of H4895 and a Speer or Sierra 150 grain flat SP. These have shared the same POI in all my 30-30 Winchesters, so all are good. That load and zero has put deer on the ground instantly or in 50 foot radius, from 'the other side of the tree' to 235 yards.

Awhile back a favorite nephew gave me a part box of 160 grain LEVERevolution factory loads. Just for grins I put up an old barrel lid at 330 yards, held carefully in the middle and let a couple fly, with no other sight adjustment. I'd have been happy to find a couple of hits in or near the bottom edge. What I found was two clean holes, about 6" apart, right in the center of the lid. You could also tell from the dirt churned up behind it, the LEVERevolution was still hitting pretty hard.

I'm not changing from my regular loads, but I am definitely going to keep a couple of the LEVERevolution round in my shirt pocket when the 94 goes to the woods. A hundred yards more reach, simply by changing ammo, could sure come in handy when Mr. Yodel Dog thinks he's safe in the distance.

As to heavy bullet loads, the 190 grain Barnes looks pretty good to me and I am hunting reload data for that one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020722037

You have me thinking about carrying a couple in my shirt pocket....

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I will say no matter what caliber I’ve shot Federal Fusion through (at least 10 calibers), it has never been accurate.

So far the best accurate 30-30 factory I’ve shot through mine have been
Remington 170 CL’s
Winchester 170 PP’s

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buckeye
I have hunted with Federal Power -Shok & Winchester Power point 170gr ammo for years .. Always worked . White Tail , a few Black Bears & Hawgs .. & Feral dogs ...

But Im thinking about testing some advertised
" Better " 30-30 ammo ....for this coming Bear hunting season ...
Im looking at

170gr Federal Fusion
170gr Winchester Power Max

Im just wondering what you 30-30 fans consider
" Top Shelf " ammo ...

For the most common uses the .30-30 has been in R&D for 124 years. Aside from the recent Hornady developments, it is hard to imagine terminal ballistics that haven't already been solved.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve been shooting the Leverevolution 160 grainers ever since they came out. They are the most accurate in my rifle, and the performance on game has been excellent. FWIW, the older Leverevolution stuff shoots a bit better than does the new stuff. I’m not sure why, or what they changed, but it have found this to true.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Top shelf 30-30 ammo to me is 170gr partition seconds bought from shooters pro shop, new WW or RP brass, and enough RL-15 powder to push them to 2150 fps from a 20" carbine barrel, have used WLR and Fed-210 primers, those bullets are accurate and hell for penetration, still haven't got one back from deer or pigs.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depeding on your rifle, but my Marlin 336 shoots 170 gr bullets from either Win, Fed, or Rem more accurately than 150 gr bullets. No idea why. At normal 30-30 velocities, 170 gr bullet will tag a whitetail out to 150 yards with no problem. I'm talking 50% smallar MOA.

Not real sure how you can get "better" 30-30 ammo. There's not many options and they are all about the same, except for Leverlution. And I've never shot that.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang it now I'm going to have to go shoot some deer with the power max .30-30

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I handload my .30-30, and prefer the Hornady 170 interlock bullet.

My first choice of what you have listed is the Federal round. If I did not load for my rifle, that's what I'd buy.

This would have been my answer as well. Vic just beat me to it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Winchester 94 Sporter on order right now and as it has a 24inch barrel I was thinking I'd get started with some of the Lever Revolution ammo. This will be the first lever gun I've ever owned in maybe 50 years of hunting and shooting, and I reckon the Fallow deer and pigs we get here in Australia might benefit from the experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1941 Win 94 loves the green box 170 gr CL Remington. No need for me to look any further.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've liked Remington's 170 gr Core-Lokt Hollow Points for deer. They can be difficult to find but they have worked well for me when I have used them. They probably haven't been any better than any other 30/30 ammo but I like that they are different than what everyone else uses. I do not have a 30/30 with a tube magazine at the moment so have been handloading spitzers for the most part.

In the similar 30 Remington round, it is a toss up between the 150 and 170 gr bullets form Sierra or Hornady. I probably lean toward Sierra as they seem to open up faster but I really don't think it matters much.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it was good to hear that the rem hp's worked well. i haven't shot any of those. but find the 150 & 170 rem CL most suitable.

back in the day i acquired a marlin 30-30 and it came with some half box or so of winchester 150? grain hollowpoints.

shot a little 5 point e. whitetail in a honeysuckle patch. he jumped across the branch, and i shot again.

got to the house, and the copper casings were stuck in the on side hide. the lead cores penetrated.

they worked, but that second shot was probably necessary. now i'm a rem CL fan in 170.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I say don't try to expect too much from your 30-30 to me trying to scope it and make it into things it was never intended gets away from the secret sauce. most people have plenty of other rifles that make more sense to use as a primary deer getter. I say just use the 30-30 as a woods walker, sagebrush walker etc. use it to wack targets of opportunity. We have so many new fangled guns and cartridges. use the 30-30 as a chance to take a break from it all. go back to a simpler time. The hot rod ammo isn't needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 30 year load for 30-30 is
RP brass
CCI 200 LR primer
36 Gr. of RE 15
150 gr. Sierra 30-30 bullet

Between my Dad and I that load has dumped a bunch of deer. My furthest shot was 200 yards at a mule deer buck. He went down so fast I thought I missed him.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Gus
it was good to hear that the rem hp's worked well. i haven't shot any of those. but find the 150 & 170 rem CL most suitable.

back in the day i acquired a marlin 30-30 and it came with some half box or so of winchester 150? grain hollowpoints.

shot a little 5 point e. whitetail in a honeysuckle patch. he jumped across the branch, and i shot again.

got to the house, and the copper casings were stuck in the on side hide. the lead cores penetrated.

they worked, but that second shot was probably necessary. now i'm a rem CL fan in 170.

I bought a box of the Win 150 gr hollow points but never tried them on game. I had heard there were some issues with the jacket and core separating long after I tried that box.

When I started with the 30/30 I preferred 150 gr bullets but have gravitated to 170s for the most part. I do have a bunch of 130 gr bullets loaded up for the grandkids to shoot but they lean towards something else when it comes time to actually hunt. It is curious that I went the other way with the 30 Remington, the first loads were 170 gr but I now load 150 gr more often.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
This ain't rocket science! Close your eyes and pick a random factory .30-30 load and it'll do the job just fine. Ditto any handloads made with over the counter .30-30 bullets. All that stuff has been engineered every which way from Sunday over the last 120 years- they got the bugs worked out of .30-30 ammo looooong ago. Competition is so tough in the .30-30 deer hunting ammo market that you can bet all those companies are putting their best efforts into it. All it takes is a couple silly unfounded rumors to take root on the internet and an ammo company loses a couple million dollars.

Find the flavor your gun(s) shoot best and go forth with the knowledge that you are very well armed for the task at hand.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.