Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
M1rifleman,

Just mho, if you have to D&T anything, it decreases its value. But then again it’s really what all makes you happy! So if you wanna put a scope on your Krag l, go ahead.

Chances are if it has already been cut down, or sporterized, you are certainly not going to decrease it’s value any more. So do what make’s you happy? And good hunting!!! Krags are fun!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As for staying in the open sights game, with aging eyeballs, try wearing a pair of low magnification el-cheapo reading glasses. 1.00 or 1.25x is good. They will sharpen the sights sufficiently for precise aiming while at the same time not distorting the target so bad as to render it un-seeable.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kraghaus offers a rail that replaces the rear sight to mount a scout scope or red dot.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
tmitch, thanks for link/

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never shot a Krag, but I will be shooting my two Krags in 2 weeks.

I got an 1899 carbine made in 1900 for $425 in 2017. Gray finish, perfect bore, sporterized stock.
I got an 1899 carbine made in 1902 for $350 in 2018. Reblued, rotten bore, complete stock.

I swapped some parts.

One is now a complete cabrine with perfect 30-40 bore.

On the other I whittled a 4.5 pound Bartlein barrel down to 2.5 pounds and chambered it for 25 Krag Ackley.
I got an old semi inletted sporter stock.
I modified an S&K scope mount for drill and tap.
I tapped the front ring for 1/4-28 like the front of a Rem700.
I glass bedded with 3 pillars plus a recoil abutment.
The barrel is in the paint box right now, curing desert tan aluma hyde II

I will be running both rifles at 43,555 psi.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Was always intrigued by the .25 Krag.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It read that the Krag was developed for the 220 gr round nose 30 cal bullet.
I hear that some Krags will not magazine feed pointed bullets in 30-40 ammo.
My 1900 built Krag will feed 30-40 pointed bullets.
My 1902 built 25 Krag would not feed pointed bullets. So I had to carve out a feed ramp in the breech, as shown in this video.
Now the 25Krag Ackley feeds.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
actually kaywoodie does sing that, quite well too.
my first exposure to a Krag was in the 50's my dad had one. loaned it to a brother in law who then hocked it. My dad swore it was one of the best deer rifles around.
fast forward many years and i still had Krag on the brain. I found one in a pawn shop northern nevada, bannerman conversion it turned out to be, for $175 bucks. it was a no brainer buy in that it had an original period sling, a muzzle cover, and a krag cleaning kit, all worth $175bucks, forget the rifle.
next one was a complete long rifle, untouched, cartouches and everything, followed a few years later by a carbine version.
mostly the only thing i have fired is home cast lead in the bannerman. A friend of mine has one obtained from his grandfather in the utah national guard,turn of the century, he still uses it on elk. i load the 220gr roundnose for him.

I was out in a blizzard a few years ago chasing deer. my exfriend was commenting on my choice of rifles a remington 760 carbine in 30.06, loaded with 220gr round nose, loaded to the krag load at 2000fps. he kept telling me it wasn't good beyond 100yards. That's why he is an ex friend.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have heard right or wrong, a lot of krag barrels are not .308. i have not taken the time to slug mine, but it might not be a bad idea to do same
few years ago, i rescued a danish krag from the racks at cabella's. would love to find an original military stock as this one has been cut down. Also would like to find a source of ammunition for the old girl.
I think it was first year production for the danish krag.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The 1902 with 25 Krag Ackley Bartlein barrel is going hunting in 2019.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This 1900 mfg Krag with the pistol scope has a perfect bore.
I did not want to modify it.
I handloaded 30-40 ammo and will be hunting Saturday.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Did Stinky build that thing?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stink like cutting fluid. I was drilling and tapping, milling, lathe work, filing...

I gotta get the smell of tap magic out of here before the wife gets home.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have heard right or wrong, a lot of krag barrels are not .308. i have not taken the time to slug mine, but it might not be a bad idea to do same
few years ago, i rescued a danish krag from the racks at cabella's. would love to find an original military stock as this one has been cut down. Also would like to find a source of ammunition for the old girl.
I think it was first year production for the danish krag.

What caliber is the Dane?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never slugged the bore on my Krag, but it shoots very well with 180gr Nosler BT. It also feeds well, I modified magazine cutoff when I put the Redfield 102K on it and that was the trick. Krags, like a lot of old rifles, have a certain class that modern firearms just don't have. Would love to have a .25 Krag, saw one at a gunshow here on a 1885 High-wall, beautiful but out of my price range.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]forensic anthropology training

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.