Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I actually did not know you could still get cedar posts......

oh yea......farm store right here in Podunk has 'em

8' long......gate or corner posts about $9 a pop.....nice & fresh

takes two guys to load them.....line posts a buck cheaper

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

locally.........line posts.......

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/57659520

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't have the generator yet but I planned for it when we built the house. We installed a manual disconnect at the panel outside. We have a 250 gal LP gas tank and it feeds through the wall near the disconnect. I plan on putting a pad there and placing a Generac on that running off LP gas. It will be a manual start because I want to keep it as simple as I can. We don't loose electricity much but when we do it's for a long time. The Generac will be large enough to run the whole house. They're expensive and something you don't use much so it hasn't been a big priority.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went with a 8,500 watt model. It will run anything in the house, just not everything at the same time. Using the microwave, coffee pot, oven, dryer, etc is all OK. You can generally pick up a good one at Costco for $800 - $1K. I only use nonethanol gas. Just the other day checked my records and found out it has not run for almost 2 years. It fired right up and ran it for 30 minutes. Then I removed 3 gallons of gas from the tank and added fresh to it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you happen to have a tractor with PTO do a little research on PTO generators.

They really aren't very fuel efficient.
Stick with the Honda inverter generators.

https://www.electricgeneratordepot....el-efficient-generator-with-imonitor-lcd

Yep, inverters are the Cadillac and most efficient with electronics. but I'm not sure how high a wattage is available or affordable. About 7KWatts is around $4500. If you have a compact tractor, you used to be able to get a 15Kwatt generator for around $1500. I bought one and installed a receptacle on front standard and plugged a Hertz meter into it. I set tractor RPM to achieve about 60.1 Hertz to allow a little bog on inrush and let small diesel eat. It won't use as many dollars running as that large air cooled gasoline engine will use on Gen-set will.You have one less gasoline engine to maintain year round and worry about stale gas when you need it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I strongly considered getting a standby generator for the house. But when I thought about it, we seldom lose power, and only for a few hours at most. The last time was due to what the power company guy called "another damn smoking squirrel" incident at the transformer behind our house. The longest outtages here come in the winter, due to extreme winds. When they happen, we just go to a hotel. The food probably won't spoil (it's winter) and occasional hotels cost a whole lot less than a generator.

Our neighbor had a really nice standby generator. It disappeared. Drag marks in the lawn out to the street, and nothing else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got something similar to this at Costco.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Got an outlet plumbed from our house propane supply to a quick disconnect and run it to the generator. The breaker panel has a lockout switch a 50amp breaker and 50amp plug. This allows us to scale it up if we need to in the future.

This set up runs most of the house with the exception of the oven. We could use the propane grill if we really need something out of the oven. All our electronics and appliances seem to run fine on it over the four plus hours I've tired it.

Only downside is it is a bit noisy. Need to build something to dampen the sound a bit but allow airflow and access. We're in the woods and the neighbors haven't bitched, though.

Last edited by Steve; 10/08/19.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you happen to have a tractor with PTO do a little research on PTO generators.

They really aren't very fuel efficient.
Stick with the Honda inverter generators.

https://www.electricgeneratordepot....el-efficient-generator-with-imonitor-lcd

Yep, inverters are the Cadillac and most efficient with electronics. but I'm not sure how high a wattage is available or affordable. About 7KWatts is around $4500. If you have a compact tractor, you used to be able to get a 15Kwatt generator for around $1500. I bought one and installed a receptacle on front standard and plugged a Hertz meter into it. I set tractor RPM to achieve about 60.1 Hertz to allow a little bog on inrush and let small diesel eat. It won't use as many dollars running as that large air cooled gasoline engine will use on Gen-set will.You have one less gasoline engine to maintain year round and worry about stale gas when you need it.

The folks I know of around my area who use PTO drive gen sets are mostly all farmers and always keep big tanks of non-highway use diesel fuel on hand anyway for farm equipment, the benefit of the PTO gen set being tax advantages.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
C
Originally Posted by reivertom
As far as best for the money, I have 2 Champion 3500/4000 Watt units that cost around 350 to 400 bucks each.. They have a 240 plug as well as 120s and they are good on fuel. If you get a generator that is way bigger than you need, it will suck down the gas even if you don't draw much. The Champions I have can run at for nearly 12 hours on 4 gallons of gas if you keep the Wattage draw down. They will not run a 220 clothes drier, electric range, large AC, or heat pump system, but they will run a gas forced air furnace just fine. They mainly will run enough to get you through a tight spot and keep your food cold.. .

How does two 3500W not equal one 7500W?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 257 mag, 338rcm, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.