Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Another adventure in food? Anyone brave enough to try the 'soul food"? If so how? blush

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Chitlins" down South, menudo from Mexico, or the closely related tripe from all over. Fixed right, it's all good. Not fixed right, it's godawful.

In a Mississippi deer camp I once belonged to, it was considered the height of sophisticated humor to secretly drop a few kernels of corn into the chitlins. (To give the impression that they hadn't been washed well, if you fail to get the drift.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chitterlings = Tripas

Not menudo/tripe

Two different animals and body parts.

To qualify as known commonly with regards to Mexican food.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wasn't clear. All are organ meats, but they are three different things, fixed three different ways.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Offal.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In east Texas, the 'chittlins' I'm familiar with are pork small intestines. If I recall correctly a hose was used to wash out the inside. them boiled quickly 2-3 water is discarded times, cut into pieces and fried
in the Rio Grande valley Menudo is soup made with stomach. captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the other hand people don't have a problem eating premium sausages with natural casings. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly. Squeamishness is a terrible handicap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I worked for Wilson's pack, I spent a bit of time packing them. If I remember correctly, they were packed in square, red plastic tubs weighing 5#. They came to us in large, wheeled vats. Inspectors would invariably poke at them and declare them not clean enough. I soon learned that the standard procedure employed when an inspector was sighted was to have someone distract him with light conversation when he was some distance away, then wheel a waiting cartful behind whatever was tall enough to hide it until he passed. The tubs were all shipped to Wilson or High Point, North Carolina, which was some sort of Wilson's hub for the south. As an aside, Wilson headquarters was located in Oklahoma City. When I was dealing with billing trucks later on, I became convinced that somewhere in the country there was a place that produced the front 4/5 of horses and shipped them to Wilson's in Oklahoma City for final assembly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're known as chitllins around these parts, and the Blacks are the only ones that I've ever know that eat them. They're soul food, but why anyone would want to eat something what was covered in pig chit, I'll never know.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not "covered in" but "lined with" poop, James.

Back in slave days - and to this day in Africa - people ate animal guts because that's what they had. Slaves in the South (having things MUCH better off than their relatives back in the Dark Continent) learned to thoroughly clean the intestines before preparing them for the table. In Africa, they still simply take guts UNcleaned and throw them onto the coals - and eat them like that.

Most of the world's people eat organ meats, some prepared better than others, but all because meat is too precious to waste. We're so spoiled that we think nothing but steaks and chops are edible. That's nonsense.

When I was a kid, the meat packing plants would give away all the "byproducts" such as brains, hearts, livers, and even ribs. Negro men would take all that and set up cinderblock BBQ shacks offering pork ribs and snoots. The other parts they ate at home. And so did we, because my Dad worked at Swift & Co and got the same things free. Dad shied away from intestines, but we ate a lot of the other parts. And thought nothing of it.

I still don't. As I said several posts ago, it's all good if it's done right.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd have to buy five pounds, I may just pass for a while.

I need to learn to make a good steak, and kidney pie though.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had them fried , little chewy, not something I care to revisit.
There is a Chittlin festival here in SC, you can get them fried, stewed,and boiled.
They smell pretty smartly when boiling.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never chittlins,
but hog maw...stuffed stomach.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rrconductor
...They smell pretty smartly when boiling.

Southern lutefisk?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had duck 'chitlins'' in Beijing once. Fried up with scallions. Awesome.

Carpe' Scrotum
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hell! No! Worked on freight dock when younger, much younger. I remember some of the darker hands warming that mess up for lunch. Cannot imagine eating that stinking crap.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.