-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clean it after it arrives from gunsmith....then shoot the [bleep] out of it!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Load & shoot

I rarely EVER clean my barrels. All of my stuff shoots under 1 moa.
I have a Krieger right now that shoots best only after it has about 75 rounds through it.

The only break in I do is to clean new barrels with Kroil. Why Kroil? Because it can get between the barrel and any fine steel particles left in the barrel and lift them out.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Load & shoot

I rarely EVER clean my barrels. All of my stuff shoots under 1 moa.

You need to shoot some of the challenges in the AR threads. for long range just under 1 MOA doesn't really say much at least to me.
But for most purposes these days its more than enough.

I'm not saying lots of cleaning is needed though.

Over many years of competitive shooting, and I"m guessing not all that many folks shoot or shot 10-20K rounds a year, the barrels we didn't break in were harder to clean and needed cleaning more often. Accuracy was pretty typical though for the most part, not a lot of difference that I could tell, though I felt that the barrels we broke in often shot rounder groups. They certainly cleaned easier. And tended to be taken to a longer life.

And for the minor work involved in breaking in a tube, vs the cost, its just to easy to do some form of break in.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

You need to shoot some of the challenges in the AR threads. for long range just under 1 MOA doesn't really say much at least to me.
But for most purposes these days its more than enough.

I'm not saying lots of cleaning is needed though.

Over many years of competitive shooting, and I"m guessing not all that many folks shoot or shot 10-20K rounds a year, the barrels we didn't break in were harder to clean and needed cleaning more often. Accuracy was pretty typical though for the most part, not a lot of difference that I could tell, though I felt that the barrels we broke in often shot rounder groups. They certainly cleaned easier. And tended to be taken to a longer life.

And for the minor work involved in breaking in a tube, vs the cost, its just to easy to do some form of break in.

That's as big a waste time, effort, and bullets as barrel cleaning is.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/25/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually for long range work its not a waste at all. But then again not everyone needs the long range accuracy or shoots as many rounds. IE I can go 500 rounds or so without cleaning and no effect or not much. Whats anyones elses definition of how long between cleaning?

If it were only needing service rifle match winning accuracy out to only 600 then I could shoot a barrel dead likely, without cleaning. But at some point you clean depending on your needs.

As to large group shots like the challenge, yes you are right and no you are not. If not shooting at least 10 or 20 shot groups at some point, you never know what the gun does as it warms.
OTOH if you shoot 1 shot groups on the same target 10 or so days in a row you have done the same thing. Essentially the same with 3 or 5 shot groups but they have to be on the same target.

I"m not saying this even tells what the gun does, but it certainly tells what the shooter/gun combo are capable of. VS saying I shot this one group one time.... like the group I shot once, new Kreiger after break in, lol, at 600, 5 shots just around 1.250 inches... thats just a good group for sure, but the gun was not capable of repeating it.

But then again around a campfire face to face we would all have a super time discussing, and cussing.

Putting that first round where it needs to go is the most important in matches and in game shooting for sure.

Back to cleaning... I have no clue how many rounds our hunting 308 has since cleaning... I think its about 40 right now... simply don't need to shoot it now that we know what it does and have data. But were I shooting 1000 in a match, then it would get cleaned after a couple of matches or when I noticed the Rock tube accuracy start to get weird. IE groups climbing or falling would be an indicator of a bit of powder/carbon fouling that needed to go very likely.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

As to large group shots like the challenge, yes you are right and no you are not. If not shooting at least 10 or 20 shot groups at some point, you never know what the gun does as it warms.
OTOH if you shoot 1 shot groups on the same target 10 or so days in a row you have done the same thing. Essentially the same with 3 or 5 shot groups but they have to be on the same target.

I"m not saying this even tells what the gun does, but it certainly tells what the shooter/gun combo are capable of. VS saying I shot this one group one time.... like the group I shot once, new Kreiger after break in, lol, at 600, 5 shots just around 1.250 inches... thats just a good group for sure, but the gun was not capable of repeating it.

Do you honestly think myself, or any other experienced big game hunter(who doesn't partake in that stupid challenge here) doesn't know you need to shoot multiple, repeatable groups before trusting that particular load to ethically take the animals you're hunting? That's a pretty egotistical stance. I've been hunting big game animals for 47 years now and to this day I have never shot 10 times, or even close to that, in succession, at big/medium game animal.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/25/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But but but 30 years ago I did such and such....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Careful, you’re going to set the idiot from Orygun into a tail spin.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Do you honestly think myself, or any other experienced big game hunter(who doesn't partake in that stupid challenge here) doesn't know you need to shoot multiple, repeatable groups before trusting that particular load to ethically take the animals you're hunting? That's a pretty egotistical stance. I've been hunting big game animals for 47 years now and to this day I have never shot 10 times, or even close to that, in succession, at big/medium game animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have over the last month chambered 3 rifles with Bartlein barrels:

With a month, they will be sighted in, fill a doe tag, and be put in storage.

There is no time for a break in.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Barrel makers say it's good.
Top gunsmiths say it's good.
Top benchrest shooters say it's good.

Drunk guys making youtube videos throwing rifles against rocks say it's bad.

Which one do I trust?

+1

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you need to ask someone a question about barrels,or cite someone else about barrels,rest fhuqking ASSURED that you "know" nothing about barrels. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I VERY much enjoy the notion,that Windowlickers are soothed in Pogo Sticking something to and fro within a bore,because they are "ahead" of the curve and the last thing I'd wanna do is steal that "thunder". Hint. LAUGHING!

Personally,I only have boolits enter bores,barring a Saltwater Immersion(it happens). New bores are cleaned sterile initially,to pave the path for moly introduction,excepting Rimfires of course. That fhuqks alotta folks up,because it deeply compromises more than a few Myths and Wives Tales. Hint.

Delving deeper...I've long believed it prudent to prove wares in advance of their Utility Christening. Mainly because it is both warm and fuzzy. I'd MUCH rather weed out wares well prior to crunch time,rather than have it cost me an opportunity. Do so for more than a few decades and trends more than appear and malady is easily circumvented from inception,which don't hurt Production. Hint.

Bores take a far better lick,than most would surmise. If it ain't broke,I'm in no hurry to fix it...but only have a couple few hunnert spouts to reflect upon. Hint.

Zero retention and tracking matter wayyyyyyyyyy more than Pogo Sticking every will and Windowlickers are in the greatest of hurries to overlook same and/or make "excuses" for it. That "approach" is simply funnier than fhuq! Hint.

To the point.

Warm And Fuzzy Round One RINK

Reality ain't for everyone and you Delusional DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Re-to the point.

Warm And Fuzzy Round Two RINK

You gals be SURE to "convince" yourselves you got it going on and PLEASE keep extolling your Clueless Fhuqking Bullschit aloud,with all the High Pitched Nasal Whining you can muster and copious conviction. Your Safe Queen Chronicles are simply fhuqking fascinating!

Bless your hearts for trying!

Hint.

LAUGHING!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Krieger,

With any premium barrel that has been finish lapped -- such as your Krieger Barrel --, the lay or direction of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, so fouling is minimal compared to a barrel with internal tooling marks. This is true of any properly finish-lapped barrel regardless of how it is rifled. If it is not finish-lapped, there will be reamer marks left in the bore that are directly across the direction of the bullet travel. This occurs even in a button-rifled barrel as the button cannot completely iron out these reamer marks.

Because the lay of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, very little is done to the bore during break-in, but the throat is another story. When your barrel is chambered, by necessity there are reamer marks left in the throat that are across the lands, i.e. across the direction of the bullet travel. In a new barrel they are very distinct; much like the teeth on a very fine file.

When the bullet is forced into the throat, copper dust is removed from the jacket material and released into the gas which at this temperature and pressure is actually a plasma. The copper dust is vaporized in this plasma and is carried down the barrel. As the gas expands and cools, the copper comes out of suspension and is deposited in the bore. This makes it appear as if the source of the fouling is the bore when it is actually for the most part the new throat.

If this copper is allowed to stay in the bore, and subsequent bullets and deposits are fired over it, copper which adheres well to itself, will build up quickly and may be difficult to remove later. So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat “polished without allowing copper to build up in the bore. This is the reasoning for the fire-one-shot-and-clean procedure.

Every barrel will vary slightly in how many rounds they take to break in For example a chrome moly barrel may take longer to break in than stainless steel because it is more abrasion resistant even though it is a similar hardness. Also chrome moly has a little more of an affinity for copper than stainless steel so it will usually show a little more color if you are using a chemical cleaner. Rim Fire barrels can take an extremely long time to break in, sometimes requiring several hundred rounds or more. But cleaning can be lengthened to every 25-50 rounds. The break-in procedure and the cleaning procedure are really the same except for the frequency. Remember the goal is to get or keep the barrel clean while breaking in the throat with bullets being fired over it.

Finally, the best way to tell if the barrel is broken in is to observe the patches; i.e. when the fouling is reduced. This is better than some set number of cycles of shoot and clean as many owners report practically no fouling after the first few shots, and more break-in would be pointless. Conversely, if more is required, a set number would not address that either. Besides, cleaning is not a completely benign procedure so it should be done carefully and no more than necessary.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joshf303
I find my BTO measurement to the lands with bullet of choice...
Run my 10-12 shot string over MagnetoSpeed to find max pressure and my flat spots in velocity....
Pick my powder charge accordingly...

Load a couple hundred and go shoot it. The shoot/clean, shoot/clean “break in” routine is a waste of time with the custom barrels of today IMO.

Exactly!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually for long range work its not a waste at all. But then again not everyone needs the long range accuracy or shoots as many rounds. .

+1

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If you need to ask someone a question about barrels,or cite someone else about barrels,rest fhuqking ASSURED that you "know" nothing about barrels. Hint. Congratulations?!?
[blah, blah, blah]
Bless your hearts for trying!

Hint.

LAUGHING!.......................
Bless your heart for trying to win a match.
How many is that now anyway?

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Clean and shoot after finding chamber data needed for bullet seating. Clean my barrels a whole lot less than I did forty years ago and see no negatives with it.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did it once, but don't believe it is needed because it makes no difference after your barrel is cleaned say 10 times during several hundred rounds and multiple sessions. Or cleaned once after each of 10 shots.

If you do the shoot one and clean thing, I suggest laying out the first patch of each cleaning next to the first patch of the previous. You will be able to tell a progression of cleaner first patches for about 8 or 10 cleanings.

That's why I only did it once.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I guess I won't buy any Lilja barrels after reading his break-in suggestions! If you pay attention, you can tell when a barrel is ready to be shot and shot. I would guess on average it takes most of my barrels 5 or 6 shots and they are pretty much go to go. I believe there is some good utility in cleaning after after each of the first 3 shots at least. Beyond that, it's a each barrel that tells its own story.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by joshf303
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I do it because I spend a lot of money and time getting a rifle set up like I like with a new barrel and it's a small investment to ensure it's taken care of. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but it sure doesn't hurt. The barrel makers mostly say do it, pretty much all the better gunsmiths say do it, and most of the best benchrest shooters say they do it, so I do it. It doesn't take much time and gives me a chance to chronograph some loads and get my scope zeroed. Unless someone can give me a reason why it's bad to break in a barrel I'll continue to do it. Saying "it's not needed" isn't good enough, give me a reason why it's not good for my barrel.

Barrel makers say it's good.
Top gunsmiths say it's good.
Top benchrest shooters say it's good.

Drunk guys making youtube videos throwing rifles against rocks say it's bad.

Which one do I trust?

I didn’t say “break in” itself isn’t needed, i just totally skip all the feel good rod and patch pushing. I consider that first 200ish rounds my “break in” and will usually shoot that in a 1-2 outings off the couch. Brass is fire formed, the barrel should be settled in and past any “speeding up”. Only then do I really pin my chrono numbers down and true the ballistics up.

Past that, I let the barrels tell me when and if it needs a cleaning. I’ve gone to Hawk Hills on about everything and a number of those went the life of the barrel with never having a rod/patch pushed through them.

I read your first post and was going to add pretty much what you said here. Strange!

I notice between 80-100 rounds things start to really calm down. But it makes sense to get all your brass fire formed in the initial volley.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SLM
Careful, you’re going to set the idiot from Orygun into a tail spin

Might need to narrow that down a little for us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.