Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
What have you done, or achieved that you think is worthy of a life spent?

I'm better at wondering questions than I am answering.

I may have helped feed a few people over 50 plus years.

Our children would be high on my list.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would put being a good father at the top of my list.

Not sure my 18-year old daughter would always agree, at least not yet!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Both kids college degreed and gainfully employed. And both bought homes of their own. Having successful kids works for me.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I married well.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I married well.

Me too

Kids and grandkids have become good people

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I married well.

This was my first answer as well. Don't have kids, so I can't brag about how well I raised them...

Second on the list is law school. I actually had no idea what to expect and going to a school in NYC sorta concerned me, as I'd heard a lot about how cutthroat law school and NYC can be. While I was good at taking standardized tests before then, I was always a middle of the pack student in high school as well as college. I was just bored with both, but something about the intellectual challenge of the socratic method and being in an environment that was supposed to scare me lit a fuse. I ended up first in my class after the first semester and graduated magna cum laude with a bunch of other achievements (law review editor, etc.) To this day, I have nightmares about getting up on stage to get my degree and hearing them read my name without the honors. Whatever else happens in my life, I'll know that I rose to that challenge.

Prolly third on the list happened earlier this year. I've done quite a bit of legal writing in the past few years and I was at a conference overseas on the topics I write about. Having professors, government officials and other practitioners come up to me unsolicited and talk about how much they liked my work was pretty shocking. I'm usually very much a wallflower, but I was being lauded by people I really respect and that was very cool (and unforgettable).

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having raised two intelligent successful daughters, oldest is a CPA graduated Summa Cum Laude and the youngest a Physical Therapist who completed her degree with a 4.0 GPA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still thinking......

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sunday the 20th of this month will be the wifey and my 40 years mark. I know it’s not a lot for many folks. But I’m surprised I made it this far.

I keep reminding her that one of us would have been out on parole by now.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/08/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
didn't run away to canada when it was a possibility.

always paid my taxes, all of them.

got two quality children.

5 quality Grands.

never gave up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Married to the same woman for 49 years, raised 3 kids all who went to college and saved 2 different people from death in different random rescue. The first was coming onto an auto wreck when a person was trapped in a burning car. I went in and pulled him out and watched after about 10 seconds that the car was totally engulfed in flames. The second was an ice fishing accident when another fisherman fell into thin ice and couldn't get out. He was in the water about 10 minutes when I got there and was about ready to go down. I crawled out got a rope to him and then crawled back onto good ice and pulled him out.

living the good life every day
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Trying to be the man young men would want to be like, and the man that God would have me to be.

Some seemed to approve.
My daughter named one grand-son after me,and to date 4 other sons from 4 other friends have been named after me intentionally, and all 5 of them were told who they were named after.
I feel that is a great honor.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Sunday the 20th of this month will be the wifey and my 40 years mark. I know it’s not a lot for many folks. But I’m surprised I made it this far.

Lol, at my Mom and Dads 25th wedding Anniversary my dad gets up to toast my mom and says, "Tonight we're going to the motel just like we did on our honey moon only this time it's my turn to sit on the edge of the bed and cry because its to big."

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Being a good husband and father are the most important accomplishments any man could hope for. I’m married to the most beautiful, kind and intelligent woman that I’ve ever known and we have 3 amazing children. Nothing I do will ever compare to the happiness and fulfillment I get from them and I thank God every day for allowing me the privilege of sharing my life with my best friend.

I had my first “solo save” as a 16 year old lifeguard and was hooked. The emotional high that I got from being the first on scene or the first through the door on the initial attack team of a fully involved residential structure fire was intoxicating. Knowing that I personally made a positive difference in the lives of others was a feeling that couldn’t be replaced.

Aside from my family I’m most proud of the role that I played and the opportunities I had in saving many lives. In that line of work we didn’t always “win” and oftentimes despite our valiant efforts we found ourselves in the helpless void of our humanity, God had a different plan. In those sad cases when a husband watches his wife or a parent watches their child get intubated and strangers (us) perform CPR with IV’s hanging and a flurry of activity in their living room it’s those times when our love for one another is the only other thing that we can offer them. Hugging a mom and dad that just lost their 2 year old boy seems so inadequate, being asked to pray with a family that just lost their mom seems so inadequate, letting mom and dad know that their son didn’t suffer any pain when he committed suicide by shooting him self in the head with dad’s pistol seems so inadequate. Words always seem so inadequate. While our inadequacies are a function of being human it’s our ability to truly love and care for each other that transcends our humanity and allows us to do what pleases God. The hours spent hugging, crying, praying and reassuring family members were just as important to me as the hours spent intubating, doing compressions, getting IV’s, stabilizing fractures, securing an LZ, utilizing MAST pants, etc.

So aside from my family which is far and away my biggest and most proud accomplishment I am proud to have made a positive difference in the lives of countless strangers. When my time is up and I’m called home I hope I’ve lived up to the expectations that God had for me and that he’ll let me spend eternity with him.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Lol, at my Mom and Dads 25th wedding Anniversary my dad gets up to toast my mom and says, "Tonight we're going to the motel just like we did on our honey moon only this time it's my turn to sit on the edge of the bed and cry because its to big."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As far as accomplishments go, mine would be my part in bringing an absolutely fantastic person into the world in the form of our son.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I married well

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Did right by my wife, parents, and kid. Kid's doing well. Still love my wife and we're still married.

I've done some worthwhile engineering work and products I worked on are in hundreds of millions of homes and businesses. Got about 20 patents - I lost exact count along the way.

Started a company that's doing well.

Had some great hunts. God willing I'll have a few more.

Doing a lot of the administrative/business work to revitalize a church.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not a damn thing I can think of. Always played by the rules i guess...which is partly why we Don't have 2 dimes to rub together.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 10/08/19.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
279 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.