Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am having a hard time comprehending why so many people suggest trying it at longer ranges. If the barrel is shooting 8-10" off at 15 yards (the OP said 15-20, but let's assume the worst), which is short enough to see where the center of the pattern definitely lands, then it will be off 16-20" at 30 yards. That's not big deal?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Caesar Guerini guarantees pattern centers within 4" of each other at 40 yards for its doubles. Mine have been so close that I didn't notice any difference. I don't know about others but I suspect that Browning and Beretta are just as good based on ones I've owned.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If fixing it is a priority, I doubt you will find much satisfaction from Stoeger. If it is a major priority, and it should be if you expect to be consistent with it, then send it to Briley and they will make chokes that are off set so the barrels align. Downside is it may cost more than you paid originally.

I'd dump it and pick them up a used 870 or 37. Time enough for them to graduate to SxS's if they become so inclined.

Addition: I now see Woodmaster beat me to this solution and as he mentioned I question the economics of having it done.

Last edited by battue; 10/03/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would send it back.Is screwing someone else by selling it to them really a solution?Statements like that make it hard for me to buy anything used.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A $430 SxS?
You're lucky it even shoots.
When it comes to any double gun you do get what you pay for.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quite common with a lot of "budget" SxS and O/U. Some single barrels don't shoot to POA either

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some pretty expensive single-barrels don't always shoot to POA (or "point-of-point") either, especially with a wide variety of ammo in a relatively lightweight gun.

In my Benelli Ethos 12-gauge, Federal's Prairie Storm 3" loads shoot noticeably higher than typical 2-3/4" loads. Once again, you never know until you pattern them....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer what kind of file would a person use to file one side to move POI. For fun I tried filing a screw in choke and it was hard as heck. My files hardy did anything to it. Thanks

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saskfox
Mule Deer what kind of file would a person use to file one side to move POI. For fun I tried filing a screw in choke and it was hard as heck. My files hardy did anything to it. Thanks
Do you have a moto or foredom tool ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unfortunately I(or perhaps fortunately) have never filed a screw-in choke. Most are indeed pretty hard--and many shotgun barrels are not, because they don't have to be. If an out-of-line screw-in choke is the problem, it can often be "fixed" by a custom choke. In my experience Briley can fix about any shotgun problem: www.briley.com.

On the few occasions I've modified chokes myself they were all fixed chokes on inexpensive guns. I either used a round rasp to "open" the side of the choke opposite from where it was shooting on double guns, or on single-barrels sawed the barrel off slightly to eliminate some of the choke--which often fixed the problem.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a new Stoeger .410 SXS once. Actually forgot about that gun until this thread. One barrel shot on but the other was quite a bit off. I moved the gun along pretty quickly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fourtuntaly my guns shoot to POA. I have had some screw in chokes that didn't. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw with anything mass produced

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some pretty expensive single-barrels don't always shoot to POA (or "point-of-point") either, especially with a wide variety of ammo in a relatively lightweight gun.

In my Benelli Ethos 12-gauge, Federal's Prairie Storm 3" loads shoot noticeably higher than typical 2-3/4" loads. Once again, you never know until you pattern them....

In all likelihood due to the increased recoil and therefore muzzle rise while the shot charge is travelling down the bore. I mentioned this a few days ago, as well as suggesting to the OP that he try a few different loads. .

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

On the few occasions I've modified chokes myself they were all fixed chokes on inexpensive guns. I either used a round rasp to "open" the side of the choke opposite from where it was shooting on double guns, or on single-barrels sawed the barrel off slightly to eliminate some of the choke--which often fixed the problem.

Have you ever tried it on a gun with chromed bore/s? I think that these Stoegers fit that category.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz

In all likelihood due to the increased recoil and therefore muzzle rise while the shot charge is travelling down the bore. I mentioned this a few days ago, as well as suggesting to the OP that he try a few different loads. .

Well, yeah. I didn't think it was necessary to add that.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I pattern for the simple reason after I have walked 2 hours and I finally get a shot at a bird I want all the advantages I can get. Hand loading helps also. Consistent ammo.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.