Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wanting to potentially replace the Magpul MOE SL hand guard with a thin narrow aluminum hand guard, maybe freefloat? FIIK, I like the thin unit that came on my Ruger 556 pistol.

Would prefer to keep the A2 front sight. And don't want to chince this thing up.

What the heck do I need?

This is the FN15 I have, carbine length gas.
https://fnamerica.com/products/discontinued-rifles/fn-15-moe-slg/

It came with this hand guard. One reason this FN was in my reach.
https://www.magpul.com/firearms-acc...-guards/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Option #1. Google AR15 two part handgaurd and you're on your way. Lot's of different models to choose from and you leave the A2 sight in place.

Option #2 cut off the top of the A2 sight leaving the gas block portion in place, slide on a one piece tube, add flip up front sight.

modifying front sight

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by NVhntr; 10/07/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Option #1. Google AR15 two part handgaurd and you're on your way. Lot's of different models to choose from and you leave the A2 sight in place.

Option #2 cut off the top of the A2 sight leaving the gas block portion in place, slide on a one piece tube, add flip up front sight.

modifying front sight

Winner.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, if I find a carbine length A2 hand guard it's just R&R?

Oh, I see, a two piece drop in carbine length...

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/08/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one manufacturer, there are others. Some mount on a GI barrel nut, some have proprietary barrel nuts.If you don't want to R&R the sight, stick with the GI barrel nut setup.

Midwest Industries 2 piece handgaurds

Last edited by NVhntr; 10/07/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Option #3 is my preference, and what I've done before:

Remove A2 sight, install whatever free float handguard you like, then re-install A2 sight. The handguard has to be short enough to clear the sight of course, but does not have to be a 2-piece. No need to modify the sight that way.

I've used a number of the cheaper Matrix handguards for stuff like this. IIRC I used a 9" on the last one, and had to trim about 1/4" off the top front of the rail to clear the sight but it looked good when done.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/07/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok, two piece or cut the sight off so a one piece can slip over the gas block. Thanks guys. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Gotcha. Thanks

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd go free float and a new clamp on or set screw gas block. I've wanted to go back to A2 sights before and it's hard to do when you cut them up.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

My preference is to leave everything as is and go two piece. (I dig my F'n AR)

This is the one I am considering, street price is right. I have Mlok gadgets.

Appreciate the input folks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Boomer, check out Troy Industries Delta rail.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it all the ways mentioned & they all work, just depends on your end objective & whether you want a real free-floated handguard & whether you want a short one, as you have, or a longer one. I distinctly prefer longer & floated.

So, IMO, & for my tastes, what Yondering suggests is the best answer................but the others all work too.

UTG also makes some more use-able & cheaper drop-in, 2 pc rails as well & those all more or less equal what you have with just a different look.

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ok, two piece or cut the sight off so a one piece can slip over the gas block. Thanks guys. LOL

No, you don't have to do either one. The front sight has to come off to install the new barrel nut anyway, just put it back on after installing the handguard. Pretty simple and no need to modify the sight or use two piece handguards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Yondering; 10/08/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Got it....

MM, that's a UTG pictured.... I will keep looking.

As well as take a look at my carbine when I get home so I am not just imagining what I have!

You guys do realize that I will need another AR so I can do more chit with it.... grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Carbine gas systems leave very little room for a hand guard if you keep the front sight. To me they just don't look right and certainly are less comfortable to shoot/hold. I have a Colt with the same SL hand guards on it and I think it's about the best option going for a carbine gas system if you want to keep your front sight.

I have another Colt with a 13" Troy Alpha rail/tube and I shaved the front sight off it and use the built in flip up front sight.

I have other longer tubes over shaved or low profile gas blocks and I like those guns better but for a KISS gun, give me the SL hand guards and the standard front sight.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I guess with the one pictured there'd be nothing extending out under the sight/gas block like on the SL? Don't know now. Might look for something like NVhntr's suggestion...

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you want to keep that front sight, it's no biggie to knock the pins out of it , pull it off, to install, then re-install. I've done it a few times without any problems. I douse the pins and fsb/barrel juncture with Kroil and let it soak overnight to loosen things up.

Just make sure you pound the pins out on the smaller of the two ends. Most I have are pinned in with the small end on the port/left side, but I got a DSA barrel that was pinned the opposite way.

A couple YHM floaters I installed this way,

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I guess with the one pictured there'd be nothing extending out under the sight/gas block like on the SL? Don't know now. Might look for something like NVhntr's suggestion...

Honestly if you want a longer handguard, I would just get rid of the A2 sight and install a longer free float handguard, low profile gas block, and a Magpul front sight to match the rear. A roughly 13" long handguard is a nice size for what you've got; it'll give more room for hand placement and a longer sight radius too.

That's a good opportunity to install an adjustable low profile gas block anyway, and tune your rifle for your ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I would do also. My responses above were based on your questions.
What are your plans for this rifle? If you're going to leave it with open sights I'm not sure you will gain any noticeable accuracy from the FF tube. With a scope at longer yardage
You might see a small improvement. But will that be from the FF handgaurd or the better sight picture?

I have a scoped carbine with an A2 front sight and a Magpul handgaurd like yours that holds around 1-1/2 moa with the right load.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Thanks Shane.

In this image, the 'ring' piece behind the sight, what's that called?

Appreciate everyone's input.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.