Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I spent a week in SD fighting weather and shooting a few ducks and some geese. We fished in the evenings and had a heck of a trip. Weather really sucked. 15-20mph winds in a 14' boat I named the SS Winecork was an experience to be avoided.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Got one woodie in East NC on Saturday. Missed one before that. Could’ve maybe had another one but I didn’t want to push all the birds out of that area. Not a lot of action here so far. Only other ducks I’ve seen have been mergansers that were feeding on some big water this afternoon.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Got a couple last weekend.

Hoping that the big storm this weekend pushes them down here from Canada. Haven't seen any flight ducks yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cousin near Sioux Falls reported the other day he had great hunting in flooded standing corn. One of his buddies saw them landing there and they set up the next morning with 3 robo ducks. Teal and mallards, locals of course. Doubt the weather will bad enough long enough to push anything. ND waters gotta freeze up hard first.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Cousin near Sioux Falls reported the other day he had great hunting in flooded standing corn. One of his buddies saw them landing there and they set up the next morning with 3 robo ducks. Teal and mallards, locals of course. Doubt the weather will bad enough long enough to push anything. ND waters gotta freeze up hard first.

A lot of that here (teal, mallard, flooded corn). Snuck in of a flock of mallards in a small pond - hit the edge and stood up.....they were all asleep! I had to yell at them to get them to flush. Only one hen in the group and I managed not to shoot her.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First hunt of the year last night and this morning. Disappointed in so few shot opportunities (Monte Vista refuge). Shot 2 drakes last night. This morning jumped up a mix of about 15 and bagged a teal and a hen mallard. I was halfway back to my truck when I noticed the hen was banded.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Three mallards this morning, shot them out of waterlogged fields while trying to find sharptails or pheasants. Weather was terrible with 15+ mph winds blowing heavy wet snow. Never found any sharpies but did get two roosters to go with the ducks. The dogs and I are now trying to warm up in front of the fireplace. Some may scoff that it is a gas fireplace but it fires up with the flip of a switch and throws out heat right away. In a couple hours I'll head to the tavern for something to eat and catch up on the town gossip.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's gotta be a few more guys shooting ducks as openers continue to coverge on the mid latitudes of the flyways?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I killed one mallard some time ago with my 10 ga.. But my favorite spot the local lake, has a ban on use by people and dogs.. So waterfowl is going to be pretty much a bust this year..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still not seeing flight ducks down here from Canada. With the big early blizzard we had, I'm wondering if they steered themselves around the snowfall and headed south already without coming through here.

It appears that it will start freezing-up later this week on all small ponds/sloughs.

There are local ducks around yet, including oddly quite a few teal, both blue and green.

Have seen just a smattering of greenhead mallards but not many.

Hoping that I didn't miss most of the migration somehow.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found some local mallards yesterday late in the day while scouting. Killed two drakes from a small flock just passing through. I plan to have my blocks set up there in the morning.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Was quail hunting a local conservation property and heard mallards sounding off. Got to the pond and they started flushing. Had to be 200+ mix of mallards and blue wings. Of course it’s still a month out for our season to start here in SWMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed 43 with 8 guys today. Mainly mallards. They were really strung out with about every group having less than 6 birds. It was a good hunt but sure wasn’t the best we’ve had. Last year in early January we killed an 11 man limit in 45 minutes.

Most of what we hunt are dry fields, grass, and ag. Today we hunted a pond that was about 3-4 acres. Should be seeing huntable numbers of geese in a week or two. That’s when it gets really fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not many here yet.
Shot 4 last Sunday morning.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was wondering how you were doing Splatter. Going to try ducks this year for the first time in many years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cool you got a band. Is there a way to submit the number online?

found this online https://www.fws.gov/birds/surveys-and-data/bird-banding/reporting-banded-birds.php

Last edited by kid0917; 11/04/19. Reason: found band reporting link
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nearly all frozen up here, sloughs are done, only some big water left around.

Most ducks have gone down into South Dakota. Big flocks of geese going through the past few days.

After Wed night (down to 10 degrees), we will be froze out and most every waterfowl will be gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a good resource if you're tracking the migration through eastern South Dakota. Sand lake National Wild Life Refuge is on the northern border near Aberdeen and is in the migration route. It's a major breeding ground and rest stop for everything that migrates. Gives good reports.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I did notice in driving around Aberdeen this weekend that they had a lot of open water yet in the small wetlands, in comparison to an hour north where we are froze up in all small areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how the weather can be like that particularly this time of year. One year ND froze solid with snow covering food while south of the border the weather stayed nice for a couple weeks. Pheasant, waterfowl, good walleye fishing all at the same time. And archery deer if you had a mind. A couple years later birds were holding in ND and Canada until a big Arctic blast pushed every duck and goose through the state in 48 hours. Didn't even stop when they hit Nebraska.

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.