-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Heard a lot about how reliable these are anyone have some opinions on these before I go buy one .. debating between the m3000 or the 11-87?

Last edited by Copesnuff90; 09/08/19.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I generally despise Remington gas autos but I really despise anything imported by Stoeger. There won’t be any parts or support for whatever imported shooter Stoeger is selling this month here in a couple years. So if you get one just count on throwing it away if you have any trouble with it.

C
OP Offline
C
Stoeger has been around a long time and the 3000 model has been around a good little bit .. there owned buy berreta and Benelli if I’m not mistaken and the Stoeger has a 5 year full warranty the only Stoeger that I have heard bad about was there 2000 series and have been told the 3000 is a big improvement

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Stoeger name has been around for many decades but it has gone through many owners. Stoeger was an importer of good to very decent quality firearms until the early 1970s when they fell on hard times. For the next few decades they became importers of rather cheap firearms with no support after the sale. Their acquisition by Benelli and later Beretta has given Stoeger a longer lasting ownership and distribution network. The name is still used to import and sell many inexpensive firearms rather than sully the Beretta or Benelli names.

That said, inexpensive does not always equate to cheap quality. The O/U I would stay away from but the Autoloading shotguns are decent. I do not care for the balance and handling of their semi autos, especially the plastic stocked ones, but they seem OK. If on a budget it would be a consideration but not in the top levels.

I personally, would lean toward the 11/87. I owned 3 of them in the 90s and was not the happiest with them but a portion of that was my fault. The great selling point to me is they are pretty reliable but if a part should break, most any gunsmith will have it on hand or it can be easily found on line for little cost. The other advantage is accessory parts are plentiful and one could modify the gun to fit about any situation imaginable.

My recommendation is the 11/87.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked through my records and I've owned five of the 1100/1187 guns. Only one gave me functioning grief as a used gun, but it was due to a damaged pin (bent, actually) which messed up the loading 'trigger' by the shell lifter. Easily replaced and then cycled perfectly. Use a synthetic CLP on the gas piston and you'll be fine.

What I like is most people seem to fit those guns and can hit birds. And they are soft-shooting. I've fired an SBE (inertia action) with target loads at trap and felt significantly more kick. Partly a result of a lighter gun, for sure, and that can be a big advantage sometimes.

There's a reason they sold millions of them.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Copesnuff90
Heard a lot about how reliable these are anyone have some opinions on these before I go buy one .. debating between the m3000 or the 11-87?

11-87 or Benelli... NOT Stoeger.. Your choice.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Our Stoeger 3020 has been flawless through a bunch of tough duck hunting. And it gets absolutely no care whatsoever. I don't even oil it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wipe off the mag tube once in a while and you will be fine.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Had to put one of the "bronze" models together for a display on Friday, it was a mess. The barrel would not go into the receiver without a little "help" from a small rubber hammer and then the barrel needed two people to remove. The forend was not fitted properly, when put on the receiver with the barrel it contacted the reciever and left a 1/16" gap on the sides. This not only looked ugly but it also allowed the barrel to move forward preventing the bolt from locking into the extension. This might be bad as the trigger was still able to operate in this condition. It went back to the manufacturer.

The other example assembled fine though the stoch had inconsistent staining and the pad was fairly proud compared to the stock. It was on the high side of reasonable regarding price for what one got. These experiences have moved me downward from hesitant regarding these guns. It will be interesting how the first one is handled by the manufacturer?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
move a step up from the stoeger and try the franchi affinity. i've had great luck with these shotguns. i wouldn't have a rem 11/87 personally. i tried em and couldn't keep o rings in em from tearing. now a older rem 1100 is a good gun but i'd prolly still roll franchi affinity.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by grouseman
I looked through my records and I've owned five of the 1100/1187 guns. Only one gave me functioning grief as a used gun, but it was due to a damaged pin (bent, actually) which messed up the loading 'trigger' by the shell lifter. Easily replaced and then cycled perfectly. Use a synthetic CLP on the gas piston and you'll be fine.

What I like is most people seem to fit those guns and can hit birds. And they are soft-shooting. I've fired an SBE (inertia action) with target loads at trap and felt significantly more kick. Partly a result of a lighter gun, for sure, and that can be a big advantage sometimes.

There's a reason they sold millions of them.

There is also a reason they are no longer competitive in the competition market. One is maintenance, two reliability and three lack of support. A Remington tent or smith who stocks their parts are similar to hens teeth.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by whitearrow
move a step up from the stoeger and try the franchi affinity. i've had great luck with these shotguns. i wouldn't have a rem 11/87 personally. i tried em and couldn't keep o rings in em from tearing. now a older rem 1100 is a good gun but i'd prolly still roll franchi affinity.
Big Ed

Another vote for franchi affinity. I have 2 12's and a 20. (duck,turkey,turkey)

The springs are also the forearm unlike beneli and they are easier to maintain.

I sold my older HK beneli Montefeltro when I couldn't get plastic stocks for it (duck boat duty) and got the affinity and don't think I lost anything other than being able to say I have a benelli.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by whitearrow
Big Ed

Another vote for franchi affinity. I have 2 12's and a 20. (duck,turkey,turkey)

The springs are also the forearm unlike beneli and they are easier to maintain.

I sold my older HK beneli Montefeltro when I couldn't get plastic stocks for it (duck boat duty) and got the affinity and don't think I lost anything other than being able to say I have a benelli.

Well if they don't have the stupid recoil spring in the stock it is a no brainer. I have my M1 up for consignment(never had one issue) but that recoil spring seems like a poor design.

Will go look at an affinity 20 gauge .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Losing the spring in the buttstock certainly changes the overall balance.

The Affinity is a very nice gun, but I'll stick with a Benelli for how it points for me. And again, we've had no problem with the 20 gauge Stoeger here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.