24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad bought a 220 Swift 1953-vintage Model 70. It's darn near cherry, or it was after I laid the action in the solvent tank and got all the kloodge and 60 year old mung scrubbed off. Bottom metal is beautiful, and the barrel still has its throat, just shiny and pretty as can be. Obviously, while there's no box and hang tag, this was a safe queen. And even though Dad paid full collector price, he wants a rifle, not a relic.

But the rifle has issues. The bedding needs work. All the screws drag, there's plenty of springing, AND one of the bolt lugs shows no contact.

Mounted glass to it, finally shot it yesterday, just to get it on paper, then shot three for a "baseline" group, a .910 under less-than ideal conditions. Now my plan is to shoot groups, using shims and taking out the barrel and mid screw between groups to see what happens. I expect, a LOT will happen.

I've already done the bedding/trigger voodoo on several "shooter" pre-64s, with excellent results compared to pre-voodoo. In each case, the owners didn't care about collector value, they wanted a rifle.

So what would you all do? No touchie? Give it the works? And have any of you isolated the sight lug screw and fully floated the barrel, or did full length bedded work better?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
"He wants a rifle, not a relic." Give it the works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's your dads rifle, do what he wants. Besides every time a person modifies an original and takes it out of that category it increases the price of collector rifles.

It's a rifle not a priceless painting.....

I would go ahead and try the mods you have in mind and see if they result in acceptable accuracy before you go bedding it etc....

Shoot it first

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have zero collectors. Every rifle that comes in the door gets tinkered with. Start with the less obvious / intrusive changes and work your way up the list until it shoots the way you and your Dad think it should shoot...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep, unless you're going to turn it later, do your magic and enjoy that classy rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would like to add, I have several pre-64's that to look at the bedding you would think they wouldn't shoot worth a darn, yet they do nice 3 shot 3/4" clover leafs at 100yds.
Shoot it you might be pleasantly surprised

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With Pre 64's I've found the easiest first attempt to get them to shoot is to remove the front knob screw and leave it out while shooting. This usually gets it down to at least a reasonable shooter IMO. Handloading will usually pick up a bit more in my experience. After that, decide if you want to mess with the stock.

Another idea is to get a Pre 64 stock off ebay or someplace that you don't mind doing all that to and put the original stock away for safe keeping. Then do all you want to the stock to get it to shoot like you expect it to without damaging the value of the collector grade stock.

In fact, I may have just the stock for you... and it's already bedded.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

This is a very generous offer. I would jump on this. I think the 220s are more collectable than many other chamberings, maybe not a consideration now but could be later. Not sure how many Swifts were made but ones with good barrels are not that common. Might run this by the Winchester collectors forum as they know much more than I do about pre 64s.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've owned dozens of pre'64 M/70's never found the need to bed a single one of them nor tinker with them much to get them to shoot MOA groups with loads each rifle liked.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
My Dad bought a 220 Swift 1953-vintage Model 70. It's darn near cherry, or it was after I laid the action in the solvent tank and got all the kloodge and 60 year old mung scrubbed off. Bottom metal is beautiful, and the barrel still has its throat, just shiny and pretty as can be. Obviously, while there's no box and hang tag, this was a safe queen. And even though Dad paid full collector price, he wants a rifle, not a relic.

But the rifle has issues. The bedding needs work. All the screws drag, there's plenty of springing, AND one of the bolt lugs shows no contact.

Mounted glass to it, finally shot it yesterday, just to get it on paper, then shot three for a "baseline" group, a .910 under less-than ideal conditions. Now my plan is to shoot groups, using shims and taking out the barrel and mid screw between groups to see what happens. I expect, a LOT will happen.

I've already done the bedding/trigger voodoo on several "shooter" pre-64s, with excellent results compared to pre-voodoo. In each case, the owners didn't care about collector value, they wanted a rifle.

So what would you all do? No touchie? Give it the works? And have any of you isolated the sight lug screw and fully floated the barrel, or did full length bedded work better?

If the rifle is as nice as you say it is, id buy a "shooter" stock off of ebay and glass bed that one. Keep the original in original unmolested condition. As for your bedding question, yes i have freefloated a std wt barrel. I used to have good pictures on photobucket, but you all know about photobucket. Freefloating the std wt barrel usually gives excellent results, as does a good bedding job.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not a collector or expert on bedding but have had some shooting experience with three pre-'64s in .30-06 and one in .300 H&H. All are original guns and remain unbedded. All shoot well, but may not perfectly hold zero from time to time, They are generally plenty close for hunting, however, bedding might correct this altogether.

As for the forearm screw, I've never had the need to tamper with one, but would if I had an accuracy problem. On two .30-06s (the third is a featherweight), I don't know how tight or loose the screws are, but on the .300 Magnum, it's tight.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One can bed the rifle in a way which is unobtrusive yet totally effective. I would not be too concerned about lug contact. It is most likely the left (top) lug which is not touching and this is because the sear lifts the rear of the bolt up when the rifle is cocked. Since rifles are cycled more empty than loaded, you get this wear pattern. When the rifle is fired, the lug makes contact when the trigger breaks. Not an ideal situation but there it is. GD

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

If it’s an original, unmolested stock I wouldn’t do a thing to it. If it’s already been altered, it really doesn’t matter what one does to it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it was mine, I'd probably drop it in a McM or D'Arcy Echols Legend, save the original stock.

Best of both worlds.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

This is a very generous offer. I would jump on this.

+1, one of those rare times you can have it both ways.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I won’t own a rifle that is not highly accurate, and would do what it takes to get it there. Or I’d sell it.

NRA Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 78 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.