Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ok, if it's for fire safety, someone more informed than myself
answer this. When they have to respond to structure fires, will there
be water in the hydrants. I suppose the answer is, depends.

If my neighbors car catches on fire in the garage, there is no water
available, it's windy as hell, and the whole neighborhood goes up,
fire takes off crosscountry......

Aren't they going to be responsible for everything after the initial event?

The water districts have their own generators and will keep water flowing or so they say. Supposed to have our power turned off by noon today because of the high winds/fire hazard. They say the power will be off for 2 days but it will take another 3 days for them to check their system for any issues before it's actually turned back on if that makes sense, bunch of flugging wingnuts.

The winds ain't gonna do schitt....sustained winds forecast at 15-30 MPH gmafb....

35-55 mph

Thinking 35-55 is 15-20 mph less than the wind that started the fires. There is some truth in the tort post. PG&E is killing 2 birds with one stone, playing it safe and making a point about the liability laws. I don't think this wind is enough to warrant the shut-off..., but it would cost big $s to be wrong.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by flintlocke
This has NOTHING to do with fire danger. It's ALL about the tort law industry. I have friends who lost their home in the Camp Fire, at Paradise and they were inundated by illegal calls from lawyers representatives hustling business to sue PG&E after the fire. The ongoing legal claims far exceed actual property damage..you know the song, pain and suffering, emotional distress etc.
Planned power outages, are PG&E's response, hoping public outrage over the planned outages result in a change in CA law protecting utilities from tort jihad in the future. Kabuki theater...in the billions of dollars. Isn't it always about the money in the end?

^^^^^^ This.

100%

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by logger
It is interesting to consider the environmental impact of thousands of generators being fired up and running. Generator sales must be going through the roof in this part of California. We are certainly seeing that in this part of Oregon as our local utility (Pacific Power) has said that they will also cut off power if our area faces a red flag event. Fortunately, our rainfall in September (5") has been much higher than average.

Before I retired and moved back to Nevada I worked for a propane company in Red Bluff. When recently talking to them they told me they've been slammed with tank sets and pipeline installs for generator setups the last six months with no end in sight.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DubThomas
It's commiefornia so I'm not too sure anyone on here really gives a schitt.

I don’t. Too busy concerning myself with what a retard from kerrville thinks

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm betting that improper use of generators will cause a lot more fires than the power companies.

you may be right, from one of my fave youtubers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember the 'brown outs' in Ca. back in the early 2000's. I was working out there and while eating breakfast at the motel one morning, the conversation among the patrons was the recent 'brown outs'. I was reading a newspaper, but could hear everything being said. Finally one of them asked me what I thought. I dont imagine I told them what they wanted to hear..... I said that they were the ones who voted not to build power plants. They were going to buy their power from other states. Now that they hadn't paid the other states for the electricity they had used and the other states were cutting off their supply, they needed to learn to live in the dark. Also told them I was from La. and didn't feel the least bit sorry for them. If they wanted, I'm pretty sure La. would sell them some electricity.

They just stared as if they couldn't believe what they were hearing. I went back to reading my newspaper.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
HA!

Just heard PG&E has come out and stated the reason for the outages is climate change!!!!

TFF

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the population being affected is large swaths of Liberal strong holds.

But hey keep the on voting for Demonrats to run things. LOL!!!

Enjoy reading all the suppositions in the thread.

Locally you can bet if Repukes were in charge the entire National Media would be in Kommiforina attacking from all angles how they could let this happen. Not a peep so far even on Fox that Ive seen or heard.

Even the local stations that are in the affected areas are providing cover to the Demonrats by reporting almost nothing on how this is affecting people.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agenda 21 training for the people.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So far so good, haven't lost po

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hehehehe!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Just seems odd to me. Other than an occasional blown transformer or tree taking down a line, I've never heard of power lines that were just sitting there causing a fire. Now lightning, car wrecks, railroads, or maybe a Boy Scout, yes. Is this something a politician thought up or what?

One would think high income folks down in those zones would carry some insurance.

As to the most significant impact, business essentially shuts down. One can't purchase anything or buy fuel. I suppose every office worker will spend the day sitting in the dark looking at their blank computer screen. The expense of a shutdown like that should easily cover the cost of a potential fire.

From my admittedly poor memory I recall that the Camp fire was blamed on a combination of sagging power lines that touched trees due to a hot spell and demands for power (again due to the hot spell) heating up the lines (I^2R loss?).

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is what you get when politicians keep rates so low the company can't afford to do proper engineering and maintenance. some of the terrain in CA makes it damned expensive. And then soak the investors for the cost of resulting damage.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I²C loss is why the V is so high. Else we'd have flaming birds. More likely to burn a transformer because when load increases there's no money to improve the lines.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brilliant solution, just simply brilliant.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.