Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Thank you gents. Like I said, it's my first. I am primarily a wood stock hunter. This one is for fun, or SHTF. wink

They seem unconventional to me as hunting guns, but I've found the AR-10 platform to be pretty user-friendly when it comes to actual use. My .308 weighs about 9lbs scoped and loaded, and my wife and teenage daughter were shooting it to good effect from the bench this weekend, just for fun and practice. Neither are big-time shooters. The combo of the weight, action style, and soft pad make it pleasant.

Now with even more aplomb
ARIC

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife joins me at the range now that she is retired.

She has 2 - AR15's and she really didnt the recoil was bad at all when she tried the new 308.

Video.
https://vimeo.com/364138998

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 10/10/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like my 308, but like my 6.5 better.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I considered a 6.5 "Swedemore" but I have the dies and what not for .308.
I may have to look into the 6.5 some day.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I've thought about dropping a Creedmoor barrel in mine as well, but this is my only 308 left and I still like having both calibers. Not much reason for that other than loonyness though.

I was considering trying the 178gr ELD bullets, but hadn't got around to it. I do have some 168 ELD, which beat the 175 SMK's b.c., but haven't shot many of those yet either except to figure out max charge weight and velocity. Too many rifles, not enough time to shoot...

I made a brake from 17-4 SS for mine since I'm using it for target shooting rather than hunting; it's a little louder but a real soft shooter. The gold color is from heat treat, not a coating; I left it that way just for grins. Topped with a fixed 6x SWFA, it's a good intermediate range gun for cross-canyon shooting with a bit more thump than the -15 platform.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Yondering; 10/10/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
I've thought about dropping a Creedmoor barrel in mine as well, but this is my only 308 left and I still like having both calibers. Not much reason for that other than loonyness though.

I was considering trying the 178gr ELD bullets, but hadn't got around to it. I do have some 168 ELD, which beat the 175 SMK's b.c., but haven't shot many of those yet either except to figure out max charge weight and velocity. Too many rifles, not enough time to shoot...

I made a brake from 17-4 SS for mine since I'm using it for target shooting rather than hunting; it's a little louder but a real soft shooter. The gold color is from heat treat, not a coating; I left it that way just for grins. Topped with a fixed 6x SWFA, it's a good intermediate range gun for cross-canyon shooting with a bit more thump than the -15 platform.

I was talking to an ar shop owner a while back about switching out the barrel on my ar10 308 and he said, "you'd be better served if you keep the 308 as it is, and just buy a 6.5", so thats what i did. There's a lot of utility in the 308 and it makes good sense to have one.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering

Nice work! I was a machinist for 16 years, wish I had a bridgeport!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Thanks. I've been machining stuff on the side since the mid-90's but finally picked up that mill and matching lathe a few years ago to upgrade from some others. It's a Jet rather than a real Bridgeport but essentially the same thing, right down to the Meehanite cast base. It sure opens a lot of options for gun projects; most of my AR stuff ends up with some machining work sooner or later, and of course the whole world of suppressors is wide open when you can make your own. smile

Last edited by Yondering; 10/10/19.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice Yondering ! I may have to look into one of those. I gotta slow down on my other retirement hobbies first though! I had to retire because my job got in the way of my hobbies! smile
I sent you a PM regarding another subject.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice. Congrats on your new AR-10!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by dla
So the purpose was to show off a purchase? To get your ego stroked by a bunch of forum commandos?
Do you feel better now about your purchase? That's nice!

I bet you voted for Obama and Hillary. Ignore is where you belong.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla
So the purpose was to show off a purchase? To get your ego stroked by a bunch of forum commandos?

Be glad you live in the good old USA. A lot of other places, You'da been stoned to death for being so phugking stupid.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What kind of a place would this be, if we couldn't share our new toys?

BSA MAGA
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by dla

Be glad you live in the good old USA. A lot of other places, You'da been stoned to death for being so phugking stupid.

Were you late to the circle jerk formed for this noob to brag about his purchase?

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Probably less lame.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Probably less lame.

Congratulations. You're in the .00003% of Fire members that don't like looking at other people's new guns.

To put it in perspective, you're like a Beto voter.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, it interests me to see other's builds. Especially the AR10 platform because we really don't see much of them here. I think it's really cool when someone posts up good targets in the black rifle challenge with them too. I've only managed to shoot around 1.5 moa with my AR10 308, but the 6.5 cm went sub moa right out of the gate and with no load development (per se), just used my other ammo I had laying around for my bolt guns... As it is, 3 of the top shooters in that challenge are using AR10 platforms. I just posted up the results of that challenge there a bit ago... Guys, get out and shoot... If you are having to use "$33.00/box of ammo", learn to load your own... wink

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The point of posting build pics/descriptions is to inform the readers of the possibilities for our own builds.

The point of liberal trolls is to stir up crap that they are jealous about, then to project their own inadequacies and mental instabilities upon others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The point of posting build pics/descriptions is to inform the readers of the possibilities for our own builds.

The point of liberal trolls is to stir up crap that they are jealous about, then to project their own inadequacies and mental instabilities upon others.

smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

To be honest, I shrugged his comment aside like a typical troll that I've dealt with since the interwebs formed. Aka Al Gore Invented The Internet Days.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.