Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
It is supposedly a 17 round rimfire semiauto that actually shoots decently... aaaaaand is under $200, retail.

I will take a dozen please grin

I wish they were smaller though.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If its what I am thinking of they have been ou fro quite a while. Don’t know anything about them, but kel Tecs are generally fugly.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A friend has a Kel-Tec 9mm. I shot it. I believe the word is "underwhelmed".

Admittedly, that was a sample of one, and sometime ago, they may be producing far finer products now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kel-Tec comes up with some really innovative ideas. Unfortunately, it executes them poorly. My general policy is to stay away from Kel-Tec absent special circumstances.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My cousin has owned a couple of the PMR30 .22 maggies. He loves 'em, but people keep throwing money at him for them. Pretty popular in FL. They hold a bunch of bullets for sure.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alukban
It is supposedly a 17 round rimfire semiauto that actually shoots decently... aaaaaand is under $200, retail.

If it's a Kel-Tec, reliability is likely spotty.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Based on what exactly?

Face it, you don't know shlt about the P17 and you're simply regurgitating some old irrelevant BS.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Kel-Tec comes up with some really innovative ideas. Unfortunately, it executes them poorly. My general policy is to stay away from Kel-Tec absent special circumstances.

But that is because you're very stupid. Smart people don't make snap judgements without hard evidence. Ruger, S&W, Colt, Kimber, FN, Sig have all produced lemons and/or spotty quality.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The P17 will be a great little 22lr pistol. But I'm concerned that they will be popular and available nowhere. Kel Tec rarely launches something that doesn't sell, and they can't keep up with demand.

The only recent launch of a dud product was the KSG shotgun - a 14 round 12 ga that nobody could figure out a use for.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Based on what exactly?

Face it, you don't know shlt about the P17 and you're simply regurgitating some old irrelevant BS.

I've owned several Kel-Tecs over the years. It's hit or miss with their products. They have good customer service, though.

IC B3

A
alukban Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Kel Tec supposedly tried to hedge off the supply issue for the P17 this time around - waiting for a more mature product and ramped up production even before announcing the thing.

We’ll see...

For less than $200, I’m willing to risk getting a “lemon”.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kel Tec supposedly tried to hedge off the supply issue for the P17 this time around - waiting for a more mature product and ramped up production even before announcing the thing.

We’ll see...

For less than $200, I’m willing to risk getting a “lemon”.

I can see the interest.
But I got a Browning buckmark for $149 after discounts and rebates about 20 months ago. I'd be interested to see how the P17 does for others, but doubt that I'll feel the pull myself.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother in-law has the pmr 30 .22 mag and has issues with it. You need to do a mod to the mags to keep them fully seated. And he needs the feed ramp polished because it hangs up periodically. It is accurate though. I really like the concept but I’m on the fence with it because it seems to be a very common defect. I’ll wait until after he has it all ironed out and if it shoots reliably I might have to go ahead.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every KelTec Gun I’ve owned has worked flawlessly. Period.
From the looks of the photo, it appears to be about the same size of their PF 9. If that’s the case, and it holds 17 rounds of .22 lr, I’ll definitely give one a try for $199. Just hope it has a decent trigger.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not good at all.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that video seems to be a pretty solid indicator that the gun is not that reliable. My one experience with a keltec 9mm was great customer service, however the gun had to go back to them twice for the trigger not resetting, so I sold it. I will admit that in today's world a lot of gun manufacturers make a lot of lemons.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keltec used to be the darling of the gunshow crowd around here. All the old guys who did the gunshows every weekend would whip out their Keltec they were carrying in the show and show it to you.

I've had a couple of single stack nines and they were unreliable and also wicked little kickers. They ARE a nicely sized 9mm, but a gun simply has to work.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In the mid 90’s I bought a Kel-Tec P40 from a LGS. It jambed and stove piped frequently. Shop returned it twice. The first time back the owner and I tried it out in back of his shop, same issues. He took it apart (accomplished smith) and found a crack in the frame. Sent it back the second time. After a few weeks he said they kept it and offered my money back. Somewhere I still have one of their accessory belt clips that fastened to the pistol.

Sometime later I heard they discontinued them altogether. My one and only Kel-Tec experience.

I hear real good things about their 9mm and a friend has one of their shotguns he really likes.

That video review won’t do much for sales.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What video?

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok, I see it now. Looks like an extractor hook done wrong. And they've done a bunch of them wrong.
But you're right, they shouldn't leave the factory like that. Somebody at KelTec is on drugs.

Last edited by dla; 10/24/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.