Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SFCSNOW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any of you all have a fat tire bike? Do you hunt off of it or just recreational fun?

I bought my first one this summer and really like it. My only issue is riding trails in the dark. Even with a decent headlight, the occasional rut or limb catches me by surprise.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
Any of you all have a fat tire bike? Do you hunt off of it or just recreational fun?

I bought my first one this summer and really like it. My only issue is riding trails in the dark. Even with a decent headlight, the occasional rut or limb catches me by surprise.

FWIW, I found that a light that was mounted low, not on my helmet, worked better for showing trail obstacles. It produced shadows that I'd be able to see. With the light mounted on my helmet, the light source was close enough to my eyes that the shadows it produced could not be seen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fat tire bike is about the only kind of bike I don't have. I'd probably have one if I didn't live in suburbia. Use two lights. I broad beam one angled down and a focused beam for lighting up the path further ahead.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

FWIW, I found that a light that was mounted low, not on my helmet, worked better for showing trail obstacles. It produced shadows that I'd be able to see. With the light mounted on my helmet, the light source was close enough to my eyes that the shadows it produced could not be seen.

Obviously Scott does more than walk and chew gum.
Don't look for many more replies to come along, though.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
S
SFCSNOW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Makes sense. I’ll look into rigging one on my bike. Thanks

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don’t have a fat bike but I have a couple mountain bikes. I have a Trek Fuel EX 29er that I mounted 2.6” tires on. It’s not like those 4” tires but it is grippy. Regarding the night riding, I use two lights if riding a serious trail. I use a 1200 on the bars (2 beams) and a 700 on my helmet. With good lights, you will be able to see those limbs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes sense. I’ll look into rigging one on my bike. Thanks

Look at what other folks are recommending too. My night time trail riding at speed is dated. LiPo and high power LEDs were still in the future. It was NiCads and Halogens back then.

Best of all though, were the few days a month during the full moon. Just forget the lights, ride on known trails at slower than normal speeds and just enjoy the quiet and solitude. Midnight mountain bike rides were awesome.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

snow bike ??

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
SFCSNOW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

snow bike ??

For me, no. Trials I ride range from improved dirt roads to cattle trails that get nasty during extended wet periods.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had a fat tire for years and really enjoy it.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theeck
I don’t have a fat bike but I have a couple mountain bikes. I have a Trek Fuel EX 29er that I mounted 2.6” tires on. It’s not like those 4” tires but it is grippy. Regarding the night riding, I use two lights if riding a serious trail. I use a 1200 on the bars (2 beams) and a 700 on my helmet. With good lights, you will be able to see those limbs.

The guys who race across the Alaska tundra every year always win on 2.5 or 2.75" tires.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
SFCSNOW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I enjoy the smoother ride of the larger tires and I run them with low tire pressure. My bike doesn’t have a full suspension.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

I just bought a mountain bike yesterday. I would like to try a fat tire bike,but figured this would be a start. Would I need different rims to mount 2.5" tires?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I just bought a mountain bike yesterday. I would like to try a fat tire bike,but figured this would be a start. Would I need different rims to mount 2.5" tires?

Rims, probably not. I run a 2.3" tubeless on the front, with a 25mm wide rim. I'd not hesitate to try a 2.5" for grins. But will you be able to run 2.5" tires in the rear of your bike without rubbing on the chainstays?

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 10/09/19.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Good point.....I better check. Haven't looked the bike over too much, it's kinda cold and snowy right now but should be nicer in a few days.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fat tire bikes ride nice!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I know it is a bit of a departure from your original post. Did you consider an electric fat tire bike when you bought your fat tire? If I buy a bike for hunting it will be an electric fat tire. Recently started researching them and seem pretty damn cool for not much more than I paid for my standard mountain bike. My guess is the lights are also better....but I have never ridden one.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I'm definitely looking at the electric ones! I bought this used one to try out and see if my ideas work,and if they do an e-bike is gonna be next. I have just under 50 000 acres of public land in the form of grazing reserve that is within 1/2 hour drive, but it is foot, bike or horseback access only till November 1. Thinking an ebike might be just the thing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fat tire bike? I just bought this one. I'm in the process of decking it out with a rear rack, scabbard and an anchor point to pull a game trailer. Also have the mud tires to put on it.

Yamaha TW200. In most of the country you can find a nice, clean low mileage one for under $3K or an older one for $1500. They are supposed to be pretty much bullet proof, We'll see. Plus they are street legal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like that as well weagle. Nice bike. Just a little stinkier and noisier than what i was thinking. Now if they start making an affordable electric motorcycle...someday that will be an option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.