Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The new Mathews bows are more efficient , I upgraded from a Drenalin to the VXR my draw length is 27 " I came down 5 lbs and picked up 11 fps .

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no free lunch when it comes to putting energy into the bow to get the energy out of the bow. Some of these new bows with very high IBO speeds get that way though short brace heights and aggressive cam draw curve profiles. To equal the energy stored under the draw force curve with a slower less aggressive bow design you need more draw weight. Long story short, you have to put the effort and energy into the bow to get it back out. The trick is to find a bow with a draw force curve that is conducive to your shoulders. I have shot smooth 70# bows with no problem but have also shot 60# bows that were miserable to draw. Both shot the same arrow about the same speed. Be sure to consider more than the IBO rating when you are testing out new bows. You just might be able to shoot a smooth 40-45# bow where a stiff drawing 35-40# bow would have you on the sideline.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
has anyone tried a new Prime bow i have been told that is a very nice easy bow to shoot ? or a PSE ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot all the major brands flagship and second tier bows over the last month. I ended up ordering a Hoyt Axius Ultra 29/60. A little longer than my current bow at 34" a to a and a bit faster. The main thing that I really liked is the way that it holds on target. Current wait times are 6-8 weeks, hopefully a little sooner as I would like to use it for indoor leagues for a few weeks to see how we get along.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Shot all the major brands flagship and second tier bows over the last month. I ended up ordering a Hoyt Axius Ultra 29/60. A little longer than my current bow at 34" a to a and a bit faster. The main thing that I really liked is the way that it holds on target. Current wait times are 6-8 weeks, hopefully a little sooner as I would like to use it for indoor leagues for a few weeks to see how we get along.

I think you are going to like it a lot! Very smooth bow

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I went from my first bow which was a PSE entry level compound to my Hoyt Hyperforce and man what a difference. Once you get that baby back you feel like you can hold it all day long!

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have no prob w peak or holding weight, actually prefer 65% letoff for feel.
My issue used to be, mass weight (when I had pinched nerve in spine messing up shoulders).

Picked up a Michigan Autumn camo Oneida Aeroforce.
Might run it fingers (change module to 38).
Might run it release (has PDC)
Def change the grip.

They're smooth and cool old bows.
I'd rather have a G Rex if shooting release.

60# and older tech is fine w me. I don't shoot 3D any more, just plop deer once in a while.
Have been running an old Blackwidow recurve so anything is a hot rod compared to that.

Popped elbow, proly dump it and order a new one at lesser #. Sucks.

Yeah, a new G rex and a Blackwidow.....if I had 2500 bucks to blow.
Won't kill deer any deader than my old clunker Oneida and Blackwidow I have 1/3 of that in (combined).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting note on letoff. I actually had them put 80% letoff modules on instead of the 85% that the new Hoyts come with. 85% at 70# is ok but at 60# it's only 9#. Pretty easy to torque the string at full draw with that little tension on the string.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my shoulder problem hurts more from the release and the recoil that comes afterwards from the bow.so off the internet i purchased a shoulder/velcro harness and has helped me alot. this is the name of it ZENKEYZ it cost me around $30.00 and as long as i don`t got heavy on pounds with the drawing of bow, less than 50 lbs. of the bow its fine but Hoyt bows are harder on me also.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The newer bows at 60# hurt my joints.
The old Hoyt cam and a half from 2005 was and still is comfy for me, at 70#.
But they aint speed demons compared to what we have today.
IMHO they were and are fast enough.
Comfort is a biggie.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last year I had problems with my bow shoulder stabbing pains almost every time I pulled back. Purchased a crossbow for the season just to stay in the game. This year I shot my Z7 at 52 pounds without much trouble even turned it up to 54 with 28" draw at 272 shot my best buck (a 125 class whitetail nothing major I assure you) to date and I think I harvested 6 more along with it. Thinking seriously about buying a new bow and keeping the crossbow as back up. Surgery would probably put me out of both games for a while.

Glad to see your still at it AH64.

I think I just need to keep practicing with less break time between shots.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i mis shooting my bows for hunting and competition archery but the pain got to be to much with the lose of sleep also.so in early October this fall 2019 i purchased a Ravin x-bow for hunting and i did shoot a decent buck with the xbow. do i like using a xbow not really but its my only choice for archery hunting anymore at age 66 and since i have already have had both shoulders operated on.i enjoy those long cool tree stand waits in the archery season while trying to out smart a older whitetail buck which don`t always happen every year,i have now bowhunted almost 55 years too long to ever just quit archery and just walk away.hope you all had a great fall hunt this year and for many years in the future,Pete53

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im thinking aluminum 17" ilf riser w maybe supercurve limbs, end up between 45 and 50#.
58"
I draw 28"

Dunno if the Uukha " curve " puts them between supercurve
and regular.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/13/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Think a Tribe Halo riser w Uukha limbs to look about right.
Unfortunately the Halo riser no longer made.
Maybe get lucky and shoot one at Cloverdale this summer.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/20/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.