Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cannot imagine the look on his face when the cops nailed him with this...

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/M...d-in-street-showing-video-562639431.html

Man charged with murder after SD card found in street showing video

(KTUU)
By Kortnie Horazdovsky & Grant Robinson | Posted: Wed 10:04 AM, Oct 09, 2019 | Updated: Wed 6:25 PM, Oct 09, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - An SD memory card found in the street has led police to arrest a man for murder regarding the human remains found near the Seward Highway last week.

Anchorage Police say 48-year-old Brian Steven Smith has been arrested on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of the woman who police say is listed as a Jane Doe.

Police say a woman called them Monday, Sept. 30, to say she'd found an SD card that contained video of a homicide. The woman told police she'd found the SD card in the street in Fairview.

According to charging documents, the SD card was labeled "Homicide at midtown Marriott." The memory card contained 39 images and 12 videos showing the progression of a crime.

Two days later, on Oct. 2, officers were called to Milepost 108 of the Seward Highway, where human remains were found. Police now believe the remains are of the woman shown in the video.

"Once we viewed images on the SD card, we notified our detectives in the homicide unit and they took over that part of the investigations," APD spokesman MJ Thim said.

Thim says investigators were able to quickly identify the suspect in the video because detectives were familiar with him from a separate ongoing investigation. Thim would specify neither the nature of the separate investigation nor Smith's role in it.

According to the charging documents, after police obtained a warrant for Smith's cell phone records, they were able to trace his location to the area where the human remains were found within minutes of when the last still image on the SD card was created.

Smith was arrested at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Tuesday without incident. Thim says he was returning to Anchorage when he was arrested. Thim says Smith is the only suspect in the case.

Police believe the crime took place in Anchorage in the first week of September at TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Midtown. APD says the first recording on the SD card was taken on September 4 and other images were created a few days later.

The Medical Examiner's office has not yet confirmed the woman's identity and manner of death.

Smith faces one charge of Murder 1. He was arraigned Wednesday afternoon.

Copyright KTUU 2019. All rights reserved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wont be his only one.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cv540
Wont be his only one.

You are probably very, very right...

That was not a thought that even occurred to me and I think that makes me feel a little better...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Wow...

Yeah, dumb crooks...

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wont be his only one.

Yeah, videoing and photoing his crime is not the behavior of a rookie murderer. I bet there's a bunch of places that he has been in will start looking at unsolved homicides of females.

I wonder if he had anything to do with the two hookers dismembered bodies that were found about 15-20 years ago that was never solved???

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Serial killer no doubt about it. Hope they fry the fugger

GOD Bless America
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Butcher baker comes to mind.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Quak
Serial killer no doubt about it. Hope they fry the fugger

Not in Alaska. We are a kinder, gentler, no-kill state.

Hopefully they will extradite him to one that will execute him, in say, 20-30 years.

Incidently, I am a proponate of a much more quickly applied death sentence in cases where there is no possibility of doubt. But making that call is admittedly a fine line.

I have no doubt that OJ was guilty- just not enough proof/certainty to execute him had that faux-jury found him so.

Last edited by las; 10/10/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The alleged killer was born in South Africa. No telling how many more people he killed here or other countries, states, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/us/anchorage-murder-sd-card-video.html

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mr. Smith, meet crab pot.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wont be his only one.

I'm sure they're analyzing every computer and device he owns. If he videoed one, he probably videoed most of the rest.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Mr. Smith, meet crab pot.

What you got against crabs?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Wont be his only one.

Yeah, videoing and photoing his crime is not the behavior of a rookie murderer. I bet there's a bunch of places that he has been in will start looking at unsolved homicides of females.

I wonder if he had anything to do with the two hookers dismembered bodies that were found about 15-20 years ago that was never solved???

Ed

I thought they cleaned up several of those with Israel Keyes?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
From Hudge's link above...

Memory Card Found With Brutal Videos and Photos Leads to Murder Arrest
The police in Anchorage, Alaska, say they recognized a man shown beating and strangling a woman at a midtown hotel.

ImageThe police in Anchorage, Alaska, believe the woman whose remains were found on the Seward Highway on Oct. 2 is the same woman shown on videos and pictures on a memory card found on Sept 30.
The police in Anchorage, Alaska, believe the woman whose remains were found on the Seward Highway on Oct. 2 is the same woman shown on videos and pictures on a memory card found on Sept 30.CreditCreditBill Roth/Anchorage Daily News, via Associated Press
By Aimee Ortiz
Oct. 9, 2019

Memory cards often hold troves of information. Well-meaning people have used the photos and videos stored on them to return lost cards found to their rightful owners.

But a memory card that someone recently picked up off the ground in Anchorage led to the arrest of a city resident this week on a first-degree murder charge.

The card, which the police say a woman discovered in the Fairview neighborhood and turned over to them on Sept. 30, contained videos and pictures of a man beating and strangling a woman in a midtown hotel room, the authorities said.

Two days later, on Oct. 2, a caller informed the police that human remains had been found outside the city, on Seward Highway near Rainbow Valley Road — about 18 miles from the hotel that was the setting in the videos and pictures found.

Get what you need to know to start your day, delivered to your inbox.

“We had two investigations going on,” said MJ Thim, a spokesman for the Police Department.

The police believe that the woman seen in the photos and videos on the memory card is the same woman whose remains were found Oct. 2. She has not been identified.

As police detectives reviewed images on the memory card, they recognized the man seen in them from a previous investigation, Mr. Thim said. The police would not comment on the prior investigation.

The police checked with the hotel, TownePlace Suites by Marriott Anchorage Midtown, and learned that the man had been registered to a room there from Sept. 2 to Sept. 4. The carpet seen in the hotel room where the murder took place matches the hotel that the police visited.

ImageBrian Steven Smith was in custody after videos and pictures were found on a digital memory card depicting a woman being assaulted and killed, the police in Alaska said.
Brian Steven Smith was in custody after videos and pictures were found on a digital memory card depicting a woman being assaulted and killed, the police in Alaska said.CreditLoren Holmes/Anchorage Daily News, via Associated Press
On Tuesday, the authorities arrested the man, Brian Steven Smith, 48, of Anchorage, as he arrived at the Ted Stevens International Airport. During a brief court appearance on Wednesday, a judge said that he would appoint a lawyer to represent Mr. Smith, who said that he could not afford one, according to The Associated Press. Mr. Smith is being held in jail with bail set at $500,000.

The woman seen on the memory card had dark hair, according to a charging document, like the remains of the woman found along the highway.

The memory card, according to the police, contained 39 images and 12 videos, all of graphic nature, which begin on Sept. 4 at 12:59 a.m.

In the images and videos, a woman is seen being strangled by a man who “had some sort of an English sounding accent when he spoke,” according to the charging document. In one video, the woman is seen fighting back against her attacker, “attempting to scratch at the man’s wrist with her right hand to get him to stop,” as he pressed into her neck with his right hand.

In another video, according to the document, the man said that his hand was “getting tired” before stomping on the woman’s neck with his right foot, cursing and saying that she needed to die. In other videos, the woman is seen struggling to breathe as he “strangled her more and laughed about it.” One video shows the man, at one point, using a wire or cord on the woman.

One image taken on Sept. 4 shows the woman on a rolling hotel luggage cart near a black pickup truck, the authorities said. In at least seven images, prosecutors said, the woman is seen “lying face down on what appeared to be a black bed of a truck.” The last date for the images on the card was Sept. 6 at 1:12 a.m.

Mr. Smith, who was born in South Africa, owns a 1999 Ford Ranger pickup truck with his wife, according to prosecutors. After the police obtained his cellphone records through a warrant, they found that Mr. Smith’s phone pinged to a location on Rainbow Valley Road along the Seward Highway — near where the remains were found on Oct. 2 — at around 1:07 a.m. on Sept. 6. His phone would not ping an Anchorage location until 1:24 a.m., the police said.

Calls to Mr. Smith’s home on Wednesday night were not immediately returned.

The police credited the caller who reported the memory card as having provided a critical component in the case. “We believe that we have our suspect in custody,” Mr. Thim said, “and we are moving forward with determining the rest of the answers to this investigation.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I thought they cleaned up several of those with Israel Keyes?

I hadn't heard that they had been part of his spree, but then, I have been wrong in the past. Just ask my ex-wife! grin

I hope they did clear those two cases. Having worked vice I knew, and had arrested both of them on various charges. They may have been prostitutes, but they certainly were not evil nor deserved an ending such as theirs.

I'm also glad this guy is off the streets!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Hope somebody shoots him...or sends him to Detroit to be a jail pussy. Literally.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
'
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/W...-victims-name-is-released-562777031.html

"He was a good husband" - Wife defends man suspected of recorded murder

Brian Stevens Smith at his arraignment on Oct. 9, 2019.

By Maria Downey | Posted: Thu 6:44 PM, Oct 10, 2019 | Updated: Thu 9:00 PM, Oct 10, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) Stephanie Bissland was visiting family in Virginia when she was approached by two Anchorage Police Department detectives.

What she found out shocked her: that her husband, in Anchorage, had been charged with a brutal rape and murder of a 30-year-old woman in a midtown hotel - all caught on camera.

Bissland told Channel 2 today that she was shocked by the accusations, and that police told her they wanted her to know before she heard it on the news.

That information was released to the public just moments after she was notified.

She says the news left her numb, "because he was a good husband ".

Bissland says there was never a hint of that man described by police and went on to say, "never in my life would I have thought what they are saying is going on ... I don't believe it ".

Her husband of five years, Brian Stevens Smith had just become a United States citizen on September 20.

Bissland said that Smith had much to celebrate and a future that looked bright.

"I'll stand behind him, beside him, while he's going through this," said Bissland.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So the murder happened September 4th at the latest and he was not a US citizen until the 20th. I guess that means he was an illegal alien...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So the murder happened September 4th at the latest and he was not a US citizen until the 20th. I guess that means he was an illegal alien...

No he held a Green card.

He sounds like a meticulous Serial killer that wanted to be caught.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
466 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.