Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers #14191744 10/10/19
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
saddlesore Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
Obviously there are some pretty darn smart and knowledgeable guys on here. At least lot more than me. I have 2019 Chevy Duramax, 6 sp Allison in it . I want to put a winch on it like I had on my 98 Dodge Cummins . It has been over 40 years since I had anything with an auto transmission in it.

Looking at some of the winch ready front bumpers on the market I don't want one like the Ranchhands that cover the entire grill.

This truck has an opening in the lower grill just above the air damn/spoiler.l. It is about 15" long and 5 " high. All the bumpers I have seen pretty much cover that opening up.

Here's is the question. Will a such bumper installed with a winch restrict the air flow into that cooler too much? Also any recommendations of which bumper to use.I would really like to keep bumper cost below $1500.

Any help would be appreciated


If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
300 BP

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14192085 10/10/19
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 62,447
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 62,447
Can’t snswer you question, Vince, but I bet Badger can.

Have you considered haveing a local fab shop make a custom for you?


If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: ironbender] #14192120 10/10/19
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
saddlesore Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can’t snswer you question, Vince, but I bet Badger can.

Have you considered having a local fab shop make a custom for you?


Not many around.When asked, they get that deer in the head lights look.


If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14192272 10/10/19
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,538
badger Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,538
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Obviously there are some pretty darn smart and knowledgeable guys on here. At least lot more than me. I have 2019 Chevy Duramax, 6 sp Allison in it . I want to put a winch on it like I had on my 98 Dodge Cummins . It has been over 40 years since I had anything with an auto transmission in it.

Looking at some of the winch ready front bumpers on the market I don't want one like the Ranchhands that cover the entire grill.

This truck has an opening in the lower grill just above the air damn/spoiler.l. It is about 15" long and 5 " high. All the bumpers I have seen pretty much cover that opening up.

Here's is the question. Will a such bumper installed with a winch restrict the air flow into that cooler too much? Also any recommendations of which bumper to use.I would really like to keep bumper cost below $1500.

Any help would be appreciated


Have you looked at GM accessories for your truck? Pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something that would create a potential overheating problem due to airflow restriction. Would be surprised if they didn't offer a winch mount.


To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12


www.germancarrepair.com

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: badger] #14192297 10/10/19
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
saddlesore Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
Originally Posted by badger


Have you looked at GM accessories for your truck? Pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something that would create a potential overheating problem due to airflow restriction. Would be surprised if they didn't offer a winch mount.


Never thought of that.I will check them out.
Thanks

So far nothing. Still looking

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/10/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Alpha

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14193052 10/10/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,305
stantdm Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,305
You might want to call Ranch Hand (or any other heavy duty bumper maker like ARB) and see what they have say about your concern.

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: stantdm] #14194070 10/11/19
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
saddlesore Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
Originally Posted by stantdm
You might want to call Ranch Hand (or any other heavy duty bumper maker like ARB) and see what they have say about your concern.


Already talked to Ranchhand and another bumper sales place. They didn't know.


If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14194088 10/11/19
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,204
tominboise Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,204
Can't speak to the 2019 version but on the earlier Duramax trucks, like my 2006, it is common to flip the tranny cooler on the mounts, effectively raising up and into the airflow into the radiator. You may take a look at yours and see if that is possible.

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14195857 10/11/19
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,194
sactoller Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,194


Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14196630 10/12/19
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,408
BobMt Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,408


trail ready ….have them on my 16 6.7 ……..bob

Bravo

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: saddlesore] #14197771 10/12/19
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 918
BamBam Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Obviously there are some pretty darn smart and knowledgeable guys on here. At least lot more than me. I have 2019 Chevy Duramax, 6 sp Allison in it . I want to put a winch on it like I had on my 98 Dodge Cummins . It has been over 40 years since I had anything with an auto transmission in it.

Looking at some of the winch ready front bumpers on the market I don't want one like the Ranchhands that cover the entire grill.

This truck has an opening in the lower grill just above the air damn/spoiler.l. It is about 15" long and 5 " high. All the bumpers I have seen pretty much cover that opening up.

Here's is the question. Will a such bumper installed with a winch restrict the air flow into that cooler too much? Also any recommendations of which bumper to use.I would really like to keep bumper cost below $1500.

Any help would be appreciated


https://www.buckstopinc.com/
These guys make some of the best bumpers around, they are beasts! I believe they allow Air passage for transmission coolers, give them a call they’ll do anything you want.

Re: Auto Trans and winch ready bumpers [Re: BamBam] #14198766 Yesterday at 06:53 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
saddlesore Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 14,880
[quote=BamBam
https://www.buckstopinc.com/
These guys make some of the best bumpers around, they are beasts! I believe they allow Air passage for transmission coolers, give them a call they’ll do anything you want.[/quote]

Thanks BamBam.I leave for an elk hunt in two days.Will contact them when I get back


If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
80 registered members (35, BlackHunter, Adamjp, AB2506, bhemry, bigsqueeze, 7 invisible), 532 guests, and 542 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2019 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 5.6.40 Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 1.0984 MB (Peak: 1.3228 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2019-10-14 08:18:20 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS