Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Friends,

Any advice on solid weaver/picatinny 30mm rings for 2019. Years ago Warne was top of the line and I've read good things about Badger Ordinance as well.

All my airguns wear Burris Signature Zee rings and I'm very careful with them. However, I've recently put together a truck/farm gun that I need to hold up under moderate rough use: riding in the UTV, carried while doing chores, occasional bumps, etc.

Thanks!

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really like Seekin's because of the weight, height, and strength but there are a lot of good ones out there...some really strong ones for little $ if weight isn't a concern.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
SWFA rings are solid and a pretty good buy as well.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the updates. I've read good things about both Seekin's and SWFA.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i don't see where your goto burris sig zee rings in some solid steel bases wouldn't suffice.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Yes, I've given some thought to just staying with Burris Signature Zee. Definitely my favorite rings I'm just not sure if they're the best choice for a platform that might get knocked around a bit.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
what exactly are you worried about with the burris sig zees not being up to snuff? the bolt that locks them to the base is a pretty solid deal i think. and in the 30mm versions there is 4 torx bolts holding the ring caps down. use a lil blue/med strength loctite and carry on brother.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Warne has the Mountain Tech and Horizontal Maximas now too. Made in the USA unlike SWFA and Burris. Plus lots of other domestic options.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I was in a store a couple weeks ago and on a package of Nikon bases it said something to the effect of "Manufactured by Warne for Nikon". So at least some of Nikon's bases are actually manufactured by Warne.

Another fun "manufactured by" story is that All of Vortex Precision series rings are manufactured by Seekins. So, save yourself some money and buy Vortex Precisions instead of Seekins.

For what you are looking for I would think that aluminum rings from nearly any of the companies mentioned would serve you well. Despite what others may say I would go with aluminum. Steel will rust more readily than aluminum will corrode, especially with today's Al coatings that everything has on it. Blued steel bouncing around in a truck or on an ATV and the temperature swings from baking in the sun during the days of summer to fall temperature swings from day to night...I'd go aluminum. Al does have a bigger sensitivity to temperature than steel in terms of expansion/shrink with changes in temperature but I'd not think that will matter a whole lot to you if its setup in a pretty standard A/C environment in the low 70's.

I just received some Zeiss aluminum bubble level built in rings and man are they nice. Most of the bubble levels I've seen protrude quite a bit and something about a glass vial sticking off the side of an optic didn't sit well with me. Asking to be broken. I liked the Zeiss design because the bubble level section is well recessed and protected by the structure of the ring. So I went with it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like the Leupold PRWs, another viable domestic offering ala Warne, IIRC.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Warne rings are still rather relevant.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i don't see where your goto burris sig zee rings in some solid steel bases wouldn't suffice.
Big Ed

You're probably right. I'm just doing some initial research.

All,

Thanks for the great feedback & info!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA
I was in a store a couple weeks ago and on a package of Nikon bases it said something to the effect of "Manufactured by Warne for Nikon". So at least some of Nikon's bases are actually manufactured by Warne.

Another fun "manufactured by" story is that All of Vortex Precision series rings are manufactured by Seekins. So, save yourself some money and buy Vortex Precisions instead of Seekins.

For what you are looking for I would think that aluminum rings from nearly any of the companies mentioned would serve you well. Despite what others may say I would go with aluminum. Steel will rust more readily than aluminum will corrode, especially with today's Al coatings that everything has on it. Blued steel bouncing around in a truck or on an ATV and the temperature swings from baking in the sun during the days of summer to fall temperature swings from day to night...I'd go aluminum. Al does have a bigger sensitivity to temperature than steel in terms of expansion/shrink with changes in temperature but I'd not think that will matter a whole lot to you if its setup in a pretty standard A/C environment in the low 70's.

I just received some Zeiss aluminum bubble level built in rings and man are they nice. Most of the bubble levels I've seen protrude quite a bit and something about a glass vial sticking off the side of an optic didn't sit well with me. Asking to be broken. I liked the Zeiss design because the bubble level section is well recessed and protected by the structure of the ring. So I went with it.

Great info about Vortex and Seekins. The Vortex military discount program is one of the best + the Seekins made for Vortex are US made.

Last edited by jp_over1; 10/10/19.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
For my utility rifle, I upgraded from Warne to Ken Farrel rings. About as tough as it gets and made with precision The Warne's never gave me problems, just I don't like the loose slot falling off when switching to irons.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_45&product_id=473

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
FSJeeper,

Thanks - will check those out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jp_over1
Yes, I've given some thought to just staying with Burris Signature Zee. Definitely my favorite rings I'm just not sure if they're the best choice for a platform that might get knocked around a bit.

Have you considered the Burris XTR Sigs? Beefy rings, with the Burris Sig inserts. I’ve got a few sets now- mostly for added inclination in the rings and how easy they are on scope tubes- all have been solid.

Last edited by Wrongside; 10/11/19.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The "solidest" rings for Weaver bases are old-fashioned clamp-over Weaver rings. They won't ever break and are dirt cheap. They hold a scope pretty tight too.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for all the input - much appreciated.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by jp_over1

Have you considered the Burris XTR Sigs? Beefy rings, with the Burris Sig inserts. I’ve got a few sets now- mostly for added inclination in the rings and how easy they are on scope tubes- all have been solid.

Good info - thanks!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
vortex pro series rings are worth a look. They’re less than $60. They use matching large hardware like the precision matched/seeking rings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.