Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have hunted with this Kimber for the last few years. It is a boring rifle. Just shoots small groups all the time. Loves Federal 150 gr Fusion ammo. It was accurate right out of the box. The only changes I had to do to it was to make it a little more convenient to hunt with and a little harder for deer to see. I cut the barrel to 20 inches, Cerakote finished the metal and camouflaged stock, to me it is about as good as it gets for a deer rifle. I will get to watch my son enjoy this one now since I passed it down to him just before Christmas...I got another Kimber 308 with a walnut stock. grin and I'm not getting rid of it.

[Linked Image]

Nice rig. I'm not a huge fan of camo stocks,but that one is sweet. Do it yourself?

Last edited by Otter6; 01/06/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have hunted with this Kimber for the last few years. It is a boring rifle. Just shoots small groups all the time. Loves Federal 150 gr Fusion ammo. It was accurate right out of the box. The only changes I had to do to it was to make it a little more convenient to hunt with and a little harder for deer to see. I cut the barrel to 20 inches, Cerakote finished the metal and camouflaged stock, to me it is about as good as it gets for a deer rifle. I will get to watch my son enjoy this one now since I passed it down to him just before Christmas...I got another Kimber 308 with a walnut stock. grin and I'm not getting rid of it.

[Linked Image]

Who did the art work on the tree?

Ed
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had one which was quite accurate, it would shoot groups that could be covered with a quarter at 100. It was a joy to carry.

However, the stock did not fit me well, so felt recoil was substantial, far worse than my MRC 300 WM. Replaced it with a MRC XWR in 308 which is very pleasant.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Very fond of mine....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a Montana in .308 for about 8 years now. Out of the box it was a 2" to 4" rifle without any consistency. I bedded the action and it was a consistent 2" to 2.5". While I wasn't happy with it, I still took it hunting and killed all the deer I shot at. I liked the rifle so much that i stopped using other rifles.

One day I decided to try some pressure at the end of the stock, and like magic many loads went into an inch or better.

The only reason I haven't taken it out the last 2 years is because I purchased a Montana in .223.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever buy it?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Brushbuster
Strongly considering purchasing a kimber Montana in .308win. for my do it all backpacking rifle. Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, with this gun???

I have one kimber MT and I love it.

Not a .308, but thats probably next.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Strongly considering purchasing a kimber Montana in .308win. for my do it all backpacking rifle. Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, with this gun???

Had one, really liked packing it, but the accuracy was poor. I could never get it to produce 3 shot groups better than 2 MOA and by 300 yards, the best groups were around 12 inches. Eventually I sold it, bought 2 more Montanas, a .280AI and a .257 Roberts. The .280AI was not reliably accurate either so it went away after about a year. The .257 shoots accurately but it has chamber problems and absolutely mauls brass. I have a reamer on order ... we're going to fix that.

Everything I've heard about the new guns .. green stocks / threaded muzzles .. has been pretty encouraging suggesting whatever issues were behind my problems, Kimber has fixed them. I would absolutely take one more try with a Montana in .308 .. although I might go Sub Alpine instead.

Tom

My Kimber Classic wouldn't shoot, Kimber wasn't too interested in my .308 shooting 1 1/2" groups, said that was within spec. Well, not w/i MY spec, not for a .308. A Broughton SS 5C barrel turned it into a tack driver, like 1/2" MOA. The old "Kimber roulette" so to speak. Some shoot, some don't. Still nice rifles, even if you have to up grade the barrel.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

x

Last edited by T_O_M; 10/10/19. Reason: never mind, repeating myself

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've loaded for something like 4 308 Kimber MT's... all would shoot a number of bullets sub moa. The 308 is the most consistent performer in the Kimber lineup.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Brad
I've loaded for something like 4 308 Kimber MT's... all would shoot a number of bullets sub moa. The 308 is the most consistent performer in the Kimber lineup.

I wondered how many Montana's you have had chambered in .308, I knew it had to be several. did you have one that would shoot better than the others? The reason I ask is I have one that shoots .50" 5 shot groups with its pet handload if I do my part, so do most Montana's chambered in .308 shoot similar to mine or do I have an exceptional piece?.....Thanks Brad....Hb

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
If you want a lightweight rifle to hunt anything on the planet except for elephant, rhino, and buffalo I don't think you could do any better.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine shoots fine. Around 1 MOA. I load 155 Scenars or recently 165 Trophy tipped. MR 2000 gets me 2860 with the 165 and 2900 with the 155. Both will kill elk and the little 6 1/4 pound rifle gives up really nothing to an 06.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have thought about one as a factory ammo shooter as its available in my area. How is it on the shoulder for practice with 165-180gr pills? Seems a bit too light for me but tell me I am wrong and I might get one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought Mrs Blacktailer a Super America about 15 years ago. Decent shooter, about 1 MOA after the SAS treatment. Interestingly, When I change bullet weights the POI shifts about 5 to 6 inches at 100 yards but it groups decent.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son in law got my grandson a Montana 308 for Christmas last year as a buy one rifle, do it all type deal. He had been looking over Cheesy's 308 Classic for a couple years and thought it would fit the youngster better than the M70 he had gotten the older sister. Found a pre-threaded Montana at bud's and got it instead of the later version. We've been loading it down with 125 BT and 130s at anywhere from 2300-2500 fps and Ike has been doing pretty well with it. It's been fairly easy to get good groups so far, but we haven't tried full power yet. We'll see how it works in the field in a couple weeks, Ike has antelope doe tags in Wyoming that need filled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a suggestion for the .308 if you're not shooting thru brush. These bullets frag and act like a mono Partition. They tend to come apart in brush, do great in critters. And, did I say they were accurate. Expensive, but how many do ya actually shoot at WT's, etc.?

Kimber Classic/Broughton 5C shot this group.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had one I bought from Brad years ago and sold it.

One of the few regrets gun trading wise that I have.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have thought about one as a factory ammo shooter as its available in my area. How is it on the shoulder for practice with 165-180gr pills? Seems a bit too light for me but tell me I am wrong and I might get one.

I've had my .308 Kimber Montana for about 12 yrs (? - don't remember exactly when I bought it). Have not made any modifications, exactly as it left the factory except for wear and adding a Leupold 2-7x33 scope. I've tried it with various 150, 165, and 180 gr factory ammo from Remington, Federal, Fusion, Federal Premium, probably others I've forgotten. For me, there is no issue with recoil. I use 165 gr factory ammo almost exclusively, have settled on the Fusion loads - pretty much quit testing after trying them. The recoil is a little more noticeable with 180s, but not anywhere near "severe". For reference, I use either a 30/30, 300 Savage, or .308 for almost all my hunting, with a .350 RemMag thrown in once in a while, all in 6 to 8 lb rifles, and the Montana's recoil is no more annoying than any of the other 30 calibers. (and a real pussycat compared to the 350!). IMO the Montana has a very good stock design and decent recoil pad. A Savage 99F in 300 SVG or .308 with its narrow stock and steel buttplate kicks more.

For what its worth, the most accurate factory loads I've tried in my rifle are 150 gr. Three-shot, three quarter inch, 100 yd groups are common (before you 5 or 10 shot group advocates chime in, its a very light rifle HUNTING rifle, and I've never had to fire more than 3 shots at time yet!). The 165 gr Fusion ammo is more like 1.25 - 1.5 in at 100yds, but I'm OK with that to get the better penetration. I've had 150gr cup and core bullets fail to exit large deer, haven't had a 165 stopped yet - and I like to get good exit wounds. I'd probably use 180s if I couldn't get a 165gr load I liked.

Last edited by MikeL2; 10/10/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I wondered how many Montana's you have had chambered in .308, I knew it had to be several. did you have one that would shoot better than the others? The reason I ask is I have one that shoots .50" 5 shot groups with its pet handload if I do my part, so do most Montana's chambered in .308 shoot similar to mine or do I have an exceptional piece?.....Thanks Brad....Hb

Hb, of those four, one was a 257 Rob that I screwed a 308 MT take-off barrel on... that was the hand's down most accurate one I've owned, and would put about anything sub moa. All shot many bullets into the .7-.8" range, with some that would group fairly consistently in the .6's. My current might be the "least" accurate one I own in that it has very definite likes and dislikes. However, it shoots 165 Hornady's and Sierra's into the .6's.

Knowing this would be a busy fall, I took it out in August to verify the scope at 500 yards... I dialed to 500 yards, shot three shots, and put the rifle away. The first two shots were 1.4" apart, I shanked the 3rd (I called it out) and that opened the group to 3.9", which is still not bad for a rifle that weigh's 6lbs at the bench!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.