Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good luck with that. Have recovered cup-and-core bullets from deer when using the .308 Winchester. In fact once recovered a 225-grain .338 Hornady Interlock Spire Point from a whitetail buck that weighed around 150 pounds field-dressed. It was a quartering-away shot at around 200 yards with a .338 Winchester Magnum. Found the bullet under the hide of the far shoulder.
I've caught a 210gr Partition from a 338 Win in a buck pronghorn, but have never recovered a 139gr Scenar from a 260 Rem. Crazy how that works at times...

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Too bad you had this experience, I have had good luck with the 95 gr Ballistic Tips on deer. And they are accurate out of my old Ruger.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, a buddy of mine recovered a 210 Partition from a whitetail buck that was smaller than the one I killed with the 225 Hornady! Same sort of deal, an angling-away shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
95nbt been my go to for years now with wonderful results. Have caught a few over the years on offside shoulder but normally gives me pass throughs. Can’t see myself changing anytime soon

Last fall shot a big boar and the bullet went through around 22” of tissue including front shoulder and the plate with a nice exit

Also shot a doe last fall at 175 in the ribs. No exit wound but she went straight down and never moved. Insides were soup

I don’t worry much about exit wounds with the 243. Most go down in sight anyways

I also tried the 105 and 95 Berger vld with great results. 6br and 243. Sample size of 6 deer but all complete pass through with big exit holes

I wouldn’t switch bullets due to one deer if it shoots well out of your rifle

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks, don't get me wrong, the 95 grain ballistic tip is plenty accurate in my .243 Winchester and It killed the deer (lungs had a big hole through them) just fine.
My only complaint is that there was absolutely no blood trail. In fact this morning there was 2 inches of fresh snow and because of all the deer tracks in the area I walked right past the deer's path without seeing any blood. It took me 10 or 20 minutes to find the buck.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was a slow convert back to the Ballistic tips after experience with the early ones. With the 95gr. 6mm BT I think I have run 18 one shot kills on deer ranging 120 - 180 lbs. field dressed and have yet to recover one, bullet that is. I never needed it but I don't recall any time there was not a blood trail. As some one said it depends on where you hit them. A lower shot is more likely to bleed sooner than a high one. Occasionally when the heart or aorta is hit it looks like all the blood collects in the chest and there is no pressure for it to go back out the entry or exit until the deer is down.

The shooters Pro shop has the 85 grain partition for sale but still about twice what the BT is, I don't worry about the cost on the actual hunting bullet and buy something else for load work up. I shot the 85s back when they were a semi spitzer, why a semi spitzer I'm not sure maybe they were concerned about the 244 Rem. twist which they needn't be? But the new ones work well and shoot flatter.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agree with most here... if you want your best chance at an exit, use a mono... but I wouldn't expect bang flops with behind the shoulder lung shots.

With that said, I love the 85gr Sierra GK HPBT. It kills way above its pay grade. I also love the 95gr NBT, so...

As stated before, the 90gr NAB is worth a look, too.

I'm a shoulder shooter - I'll give up some shoulder meat in exchange for knocking out their running gear. With that, a 75 yard death run after a top-of-the-lungs shot doesn't seem too bad to me. I've seen lung shot deer run a lot further than that - blood and no blood.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My father had a perfect broadside shot deer run over 100 yards. This was with a hit that put a big hole all the way through. They can do amazing things even when well hit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I am looking for the same thing from a 243, two holes. I will try the 100 grain Partition this year.

That's the ticket........

I have two 243's that have killed 14 elk between them. And a few deer and pronghorns. So far any broadside shot on elk have been a pass-thru. Quartering shots will usually stop the bullet before it exits. Most have traveled less than ~30 yds, one did go about 100 yds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm a shoulder shooter, and have hit a few deer and pigs there, my little pre-64 FTW 243 firing hand loaded 100gr partitions has never let me down, or failed to exit said animals, those that ran left plenty of blood to follow.

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Folks, don't get me wrong, the 95 grain ballistic tip is plenty accurate in my .243 Winchester and It killed the deer (lungs had a big hole through them) just fine.
My only complaint is that there was absolutely no blood trail. In fact this morning there was 2 inches of fresh snow and because of all the deer tracks in the area I walked right past the deer's path without seeing any blood. It took me 10 or 20 minutes to find the buck.

Stick that 95 nbt into the high shoulder and I doubt you’ll be tracking any.

I’m a shoulder shooter so the monos have done well for me.

I caught a .458” Speer bonded HP on an angled shot a couple years ago on a whitetail doe. I broke her near shoulder so tracking was about 30 feet.

I’ve never had another one stay in a deer.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
My father had a perfect broadside shot deer run over 100 yards. This was with a hit that put a big hole all the way through. They can do amazing things even when well hit.
I once punched a 12 gauge Foster slug through both lungs of a broadside doe at 30 yards and watched in amazement as she ran 250 yards across a field before she fell, draped over the barbed wire fence on the opposite side. I had seen the impact of the slug, hair fly and a gaping hole spraying blood as she departed the scene so knew she was dead on her feet. Just couldn't believe it took her so long to give it up.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I would appreciate anyone's advice on a different bullet that would give a reliable exit on a mule deer. I'm hoping there is something better without going to the expense of a monolithic or a partition. Thanks

Sorry..but if thats what you want, as others have said, you'll be going to the expense...

That said, the bullet( even the ones you use up in practice..) are the cheapest part of any given hunt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We use the 90 gr. AB and have had great results with it. We have also used the 6mm Partitions and those normally exit, too. As others have mentioned, buying seconds through the pro shop saves $ and I have never been able to see any difference in them.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Did you take any pics of the ballistic tip you found in that deer? How far did it run. Just out of curiosity?

I do from time to time try new bullets, but the 95nbt is not one I would be looking to switch

I have used the 95 and 105 vld with great success also, and so has SLG888. He went back to the 95nbt though

I believe my best friend user the Sierra game king although it could be a partition in his 243. He is happy with it but didn’t get a pass through last fall on a doe that weighed 75lbs dressed. Shot in the ribs too. Deer was DRT so job well done

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shot a fork horn mulie for the freezer behind my house this morning. Used a reload with a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. The bullet entered high in the ribs behind the shoulder and broke ribs on the far side but did not exit. Without a exit hole there was no blood trail and because the buck went down out of my view I had a heck of a time finding it.
I would appreciate anyone's advice on a different bullet that would give a reliable exit on a mule deer. I'm hoping there is something better without going to the expense of a monolithic or a partition. Thanks

If you are handloading your own, you should already know about SPS. The partitions are not really that expensive when you think about it. That's the route I'd go. Either a 95 or 100 gr partition and you'll get excellent results from your 243... If you are cheaping out and looking for good results, you can also look at the 100gr. Hornady interlock sp flat based bullet. Those penetrate and hold together pretty good in the 243...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You’re such a fickle bitch.

Not long ago anybody that used a .243 was a pu ssy and idiot, now you try giving advice like you have experience killing with the .243.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If you are handloading your own, you should already know about SPS. The partitions are not really that expensive when you think about it. That's the route I'd go. Either a 95 or 100 gr partition and you'll get excellent results from your 243... If you are cheaping out and looking for good results, you can also look at the 100gr. Hornady interlock sp flat based bullet. Those penetrate and hold together pretty good in the 243...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SLM
You’re such a fickle bitch.

Not long ago anybody that used a .243 was a pu ssy and idiot, now you try giving advice like you have experience killing with the .243.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I believe that he was 5 or 6 at the time! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I load the 80 TTSX for grandkids, never recovered one. They have been lucky, never lost a deer yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I voiced the same compaint after almost giving up on a buck shot the same place with a 130gr IL from my .270. No exit, no blood at all, just hair knocked off the far side by the impact of the bullet.

Tough bullets are one solution. Placing you shot lower so blood starts leaking out sooner is another. High shoulder shots, as some have pointed out, are another, eliminating the need for a blood trail.

If you can figure out how to shoot Muzzy broadheads out of that .243, all your bloodtrail issues will vanish. Big hole in, big hole out. Maximum carnage!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.