Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I may have a chance to purchase a pre 64 featherweight in 308. It’s a 6 digit serial number 243###. Some blueing wear on the barrel and the typical dings on the stock. Definitely not a safe queen but in good shape for a rifle over 65 years old. It has a weaver k4 scope on it. What would be the going average value for this rifle?

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You dont say whether it has a recoil pad or aluminum butt plate. Any extra holes in the receiver anywhere? Does it havs the original sights, or has someone sweated the front sight off? Low comb or montecarlo? Does it still have the original sling swivels. Even the old leather military type sling adds value. Need a little more info on the rifle to throw out any kind of value estimate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
in general from the info you've given...$900-$1000

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
More info is needed as sighted in the above posts to give an accurate estimation of value. But from what is posted I'd say the rifle as described would be more like $700 - $900, the lower value if it were a straight comb and/or had a recoil pad and the higher if it were a MC and had the aluminum buttplate and minimal wear on the alloy bottom metal. Missing/incorrect sights/swivels would lower the value too, lotsa factors to take into account when assigning a value to pre'64 M/70's.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It has the monte carlo stock, aluminum buttplate, has the swivels, original sights but missing the front hood. No extra holes anywhere.
And I’m guessing they are 1in12 twist?
All so what would the K4 scope be valued at?

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 10/08/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And maybe the question I’m looking for is what are they selling for, more then the blue book value.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
And maybe the question I’m looking for is what are they selling for, more then the blue book value.

If you find the right person, you could possibly get $1,100.00. Based on your description. Pictures would help.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I buy it I’ll post pictures, definitely not gonna pay $1100.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

If I buy it I’ll post pictures, definitely not gonna pay $1100.

If you can buy the gun for less, you’ve done well.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Heavyload: For your comparison.
Into my local gun shop yesterday afternoon came a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in caliber 30/06.
It was "on consignment" at $775.00!
It was all original and in fairly good shape with the exceptions it was missing the front sight hood and had been glass bedded.
The stock was rather nice and the bluing was in the 95% range.
I inspected the bore with my bore inspection tool and it was near perfect with only the slightest wear (rounding!) of the leades to the rifling (hadn't been shot much at all!).
The serial number was 466,XXX indicating manufacture in late January 1,960.
It was gone (sold) this morning when I braved a blizzard to go re-inspect it.
It sold in less than a "business day" (8 hours!)!
I hope this helps some.
Good luck in your dealing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heavyload,
Much depends on whether you are planning to hunt with the rifle or just look at it (collector). I hunt mine and have for 40+ years. The buck below was shot in Texas just last week.

If planning to hunt with it, some past changes may actually improve the hunting shooting performance. For instance, my M70 FW .308 was made in 1953 and has always been a sub minute of angle shooter.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I assure you that my few changes have been improvements. They were:
Free float barrel
Arkansas stone trigger to slicker- than- snot (no resistance feel at all) - set to 4 pounds with Lyman trigger gauge
Use good recoil pad to reduce light-gun recoil and assure perfect stock fit.
MagnaPort to eliminate muzzle jump + minor recoil reduction.

Nope, mine is not for sale and will not be until I pass on and maybe not then as my son will inherit it.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have FWT's in 243 and 270, both all original as far as I can tell, got into both of em for less than a grand each, I wasn't looking when they came along, guess just in the right place at the right time.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m more then likely going to buy it in a couple weeks. I’m going on vacation for 9 days next week. His price is $750. I already bought a S&W 39-2 from him last weekend with 3 original mags & an older Elesi pancake holster. $450.
It’s a buddy’s dad that I’ve known for over 40 years. He just turned 90 last month.
I’ve been reading that some of the older featherweight rifles had accuracy troubles. I shot this rifle but never on paper. Steel targets at 200yards.
I’ll probably replace the weaver k-4 with a more modern scope just for shooting purposes and put the weaver on the shelf.
Are the 308’s 1-12 twist?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Given the circumstances I would feel compelled to pay him more than he is asking!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea well that’s not gonna happen, thanks for the advice though.
Believe me between him and his son they have over 250 firearms and I think they would rather see me buy the gun than some stranger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I’m more then likely going to buy it in a couple weeks. I’m going on vacation for 9 days next week. His price is $750. I already bought a S&W 39-2 from him last weekend with 3 original mags & an older Elesi pancake holster. $450.
It’s a buddy’s dad that I’ve known for over 40 years. He just turned 90 last month.
I’ve been reading that some of the older featherweight rifles had accuracy troubles. I shot this rifle but never on paper. Steel targets at 200yards.
I’ll probably replace the weaver k-4 with a more modern scope just for shooting purposes and put the weaver on the shelf.

I don't know where you heard that. That's not even remotely what I've seen. Every featherweight rifle I've seen has shot lights out. Even before bedding. After bedding and freefloating, groups shrank even more: Thus, much more consistent shooters, with far less flyers and wondering zeros...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like I read somewhere that all the Pre64 30cals were 1-10 twist.
Ive had several fwts and all were dandy shooters.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't know where you heard that. That's not even remotely what I've seen. Every featherweight rifle I've seen has shot lights out. Even before bedding. After bedding and freefloating, groups shrank even more: Thus, much more consistent shooters, with far less flyers and wondering zeros...

I know that 1.5" six shot group I sent you with my little FWT 243 could be greatly reduced with bedding and a good trigger job, that rifle has the heaviest trigger I've ever felt.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I know that 1.5" six shot group I sent you with my little FWT 243 could be greatly reduced with bedding and a good trigger job, that rifle has the heaviest trigger I've ever felt.

Yeah, that's a sweet rifle gunner. Sorry to hear about that trigger. I have all of mine very nicely adjusted to 2.5 pounds... Those pre 64 triggers can damn near be fine tuned to perfection as far as a hunting rifle trigger is concerned... That new 300WBY's trigger was already fine tuned by someone that knew what they were doing. I didn't even have to touch that one buddy. I was slightly disappointed it was not like a virgin, but oh well, at least they did it like I would have done it... grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes, the 308 win featherweight had the 4 groove 1 in 12 twist barrel.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.