Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I throw out an elk bugle every not and then. Really get's em movin

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Grunt call and doe bleat "can".
They work.

Have called in bucks in bow and gun.
With both.

Have rattled too, worked for a few yrs until everybody around my spot started that BS opening day of bow.
Think the deer went deaf.

Last yr, went out around Halloween. Snuck in at first light, waited 15 mins and did a couple of grunt calls.
Waited 15 mins and did two more.
See what was in thicket next to me.
15 mins later hit the can call. Couple bleats.
8 pointer at 10 yards.

Year before saw a buck way out in picked corn.
slid into same stand.
Grunt called a couple times. Did again 15 mins later.
15 after that, here he comes.
Circled around, 75 yards.
If I had a decoy I might have gotten him closer, he was looking for who made the call and seeing nothing, moved off.
Then a fat 6 pt walked under me looking around.

He left and I bleat called him back, to 10 yards.
Then he left and a forky showed up.

Fun morning.

I pretty much stay the hell out of my ticket spot until Halloween.

Kids hunted next door, rattling, grunting, scents.............we did not see many deer.
Property sold, guy that hunts it is conservative.

We all see more deer now.

Gee, wonder why?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Grunt calls, doe bleats, can work early bow season.
But think they work better closer we get to gun season.
Have yet to try a snort wheeze.

IMHO come gun season, a decent buck should have a doe with him.
Can't compete with that.

Have used calls to pull in lesser bucks in gun.
Never a big one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't use calls for deer (mulies) hunting, but have had them come in to predator calls (rabbit) that were not used too aggressively. Sounds a good bit like a fawn bleat. If the rut is on, the bucks will come right along with the does. Typically it's not a leisurely arrival. They come in on the run and on the fight, but leave just as quickly when they figure out they've been had.

Used that strategy years ago when doing composition counts on large numbers of deer. Everything in the basin would come in close so one could differentiate does, fawns, yearlings, and bucks.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/09/19.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used one of those Hale and Knight rattlers on fallow bucks. It works really well if they are in the mood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Haydel older model grunt tube and the "can" have worked pretty good for me on public land .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One that worked for me when I was younger..........

Have some madeira, m'dear. It's really much nicer than beer.
I don't care for sherry, one cannot drink stout,
And port is a wine I can well do without...
It's simply a case of chacun a son gout
Have some madeira, m'dear.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had bucks come to a grunt call. I use to have a woods wise breeding bellow call. I use to call at deer that I let pass and sometimes they would turn around and come right back. So sometimes they do work

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
My best stand is a pinch point where 10 trails converge because of terrain only time I hunt it is during the rut

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had very good success with the old K'meer Deer fawn in distress call. I used it for coyotes, but have also called in 3 bears with it while coyote hunting. After buying it from the back of a Sports Afield magazine in the late 60's, I lost it a few years ago.

When does respond, they usually come in on the run. If bucks are hanging around the does, they will follow the does, but, I have never called in a lone buck.

While deer hunting around Kremmling, CO, some years ago, a buddy and I were sitting in his truck, waiting for another buddy to show up. Several Mule Deer walked out of a draw, so I roll down my window and told Duane, 'watch this', and started with the K'meer Deer. All the does start charging up the hill towards us, with a decent 4x4 trailing.

The lead doe came to about 40-50 yards of the truck, and stood there stamping a foot at us.

Lot's of E-callers have this sound loaded on them, and those have worked as well, though I cannot use an E-caller for big game hunting in Colorado.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have called in does with an old fawn distress call.

Have called in nice bucks with a grunt tube.

Have gotten interest from bucks with an estrous doe can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had bunches of does come to either a fawn bleat or canine pup distress calls. Always wondered if I timed it right if a nice buck might follow...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Anyone have success with the old rubber band call? I was sitting on a rub line and used one. Don't know if the buck was following his line or coming to the call, but he certainly wasn't spooked by it.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I meant to reply when this thread was fresh a month ago but got busy hunting. Anyhow...

I had some good success this past year on mule deer does with a Crit R Call peewee. My son had a doe tag and I was able to get him several good shots with simple fawn bleat distress calls. He wasn't able to connect, I think due to nerves, but the calling was definitely an aid. Does didn't always come in, but sometimes it was effective to get a doe moving that was bedded down that we couldn't see at all. Once up we would try to figure out an approach, even if it didn't come closer. There were a couple cases where the does came right to us out into clearings.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I killed an eater-grade whitetail buck yesterday in western Montana where the rut seems to be peaking. At my first stop I used a Primos Big Buck Bag, rattled once, waited 10 minutes, rattled again, waited 5 minutes, then gave two small grunts figuring I'd move in another 10 minutes if nothing showed. I saw a flash in the trees 50 yards upwind as an animal started coming in fast, I got my 308 up before I could see headgear, then he was in my scope trotting in on a string. I dropped him with a Barnes 150 gr. TSX which made quite an impression at 8 yards! Fat public land 3X3, perfect for the freezer. I was back at the truck with him in an hour. The final grunts seem to be what closed the deal.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 11/14/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.